Is Evans a #1 on the Bills and a #2 anywhere else?

Looking at the Talent and Depth charts in the AFC EAST alone in the #1 and #2 slots, where does Evans talent level fall?

MIA - 1 - Brandon Marshall , 2 - Javon Bess

NE - 1 - Randy Moss 2- Wes Welker

NYJ - 1 -Santanio Holmes 2 - Jerricho Cotchery

When you look at the 3 #1 reciever options above, does Evans fall into a #1 talent category IF the QB's were all on a level playing field. Are there Any #2's on any other teams that you would rather have as our #1 option in the entire NFL?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee is clearly a #2 at this point. TO came in here last year and completely outplayed him. That being said LE is a very good #2 option, unfortunately the Bills have a bunch of #5's on the roster to "compliment" him.

clearly?....clearly based on what......i believe TO had 5 td's last year, the whole offense was dysfunctional, starting and ending with the offensive line which was CLEARLY decimated by injury, not to mention the lack of experience.

Unless you have a QB who has somehow become adept at cycling through coverages, and throwing accurate passes from his back Randy Moss, Santonio Holmes et al, would CLEARLY have suffered the same fate.

It would CLEARLY be impossible to determine the abilities of a skill position player under those circumstances, CLEARLY.

Looking at the Talent and Depth charts in the AFC EAST alone in the #1 and #2 slots, where does Evans talent level fall?

When you look at the 3 #1 reciever options above, does Evans fall into a #1 talent category IF the QB's were all on a level playing field. Are there Any #2's on any other teams that you would rather have as our #1 option in the entire NFL?

I think if you put them all on even teams, Evans is as good if not better than Holmes. New England has far and away the better tandom, although Welker most likely won't be a factor this season. Marshall is probably the best WR in the division at this point, as Moss is on the downside of his career, but Bess is a #3 playing in the #2 role. As far as our #2, it is anyone's guess we just have to hope that one of the young receivers in camp step up and show something, but when it is all said and done, Evans will be back on an island again with no protection on the other side, and the critics on TBD will be all over him again. Hard for a wideout to excel with no QB arm, no O-Line protection and no decent #2 on the other side to take some of the coverage away from him.

clearly?....clearly based on what......i believe TO had 5 td's last year, the whole offense was dysfunctional, starting and ending with the offensive line which was CLEARLY decimated by injury, not to mention the lack of experience.

Unless you have a QB who has somehow become adept at cycling through coverages, and throwing accurate passes from his back Randy Moss, Santonio Holmes et al, would CLEARLY have suffered the same fate.

It would CLEARLY be impossible to determine the abilities of a skill position player under those circumstances, CLEARLY.

You are 100% correct. Jerry Rice in his prime wouldn't have done much in last years offense. I personally think that while everyone looked at T.O. coming here in helping Evans, with the pressure the QBs had on themselves to get the ball to Owens, it ended up hurting Evans.

Just dumb! If Lee Evans is a #2WR. Trent Edwards is a #3 QB and our line is a 4th string line.

What makes Lee Evans elite is his ability to get downfield. Since we haven't had a good deep throwing QB here in what seems like forever, Evans isn't going to be utilized properly in the offense. His career has been wasted on this team's mediocrity.

TE was Lee's QB before and after Lee signed his fat deal. The line sucked before and after Lee signed his fat deal. Once he signed his fat deal Lee laid down. Look at the stats, stats don't lie. Lee is a number 2 receiver at best and #3 on many teams. Start Hardy, Johnson & Roscoe and the production will be at least the same as when Lee is in there. TO did draw the double coverage and Lee did not elevate his game.

TE was Lee's QB before and after Lee signed his fat deal. The line sucked before and after Lee signed his fat deal. Once he signed his fat deal Lee laid down. Look at the stats, stats don't lie. Lee is a number 2 receiver at best and #3 on many teams. Start Hardy, Johnson & Roscoe and the production will be at least the same as when Lee is in there. TO did draw the double coverage and Lee did not elevate his game.

thats what worries me, i just never saw Lee open. Im sure he was at times but #1 WRs should be able to get the job done even with TE. Yes the line and QB play has been bad, but there have been plentyyyyyy of times when our QBs had time to throw.

Bottom line is that without watching gamefilm none of us can accurately gauge whether its Lee or QBs or what. id say its likely a combo.

Lee Evans would be a #1 if he he played for Miami or NY Jets.

He is clearly the #1 on Buffalo. Put him on the Colts and he is a #1 and in the Pro Bowl.

What makes Lee Evans elite is his ability to get downfield. Since we haven't had a good deep throwing QB here in what seems like forever, Evans isn't going to be utilized properly in the offense. His career has been wasted on this team's mediocrity.

That is a very accurate assessment. On two thirds of the other teams in the NFL, Evans is a Pro Bowler almost every season.

Lee doesn't have to the ability to shed the double-teams like a true #1 WR can. Lee is a very good short, speedy WR, but he doesn't have the size & strength to constantly outleap and outmuscle DB's. Once Lee starts losing his speed, he'll turn into another Peerless Price.

And the quarterbacks we have couldn't get the ball to either of them downfield. Explain why T.O. had just about the worst season in his career? Most of his receiving yards were after the catch. If T.O. had Evans' hands and effort on the field, he would be on a roster right now.

Ah....refreshing breath of intelligence. I will add one caveat that Lee Evans in his first 3 years looked GREAT. He had 2 QBs in Bledsoe and Losman that had big arms. Bring in noodle arm Edwards and all of a sudden people are questioning if Lee is a #1 or not. Stupid! Get the guy a QB!!!!!!

I hate to be so rude but you're an idiot. Lee Evans job is to get open. HE DID /DOES THAT!! It's the QB's job to throw him the ball...EDWARDS DIDN'T DO THAT!!!!! It's so simple to see it is amazing that people can actually come down on the wrong side of the issue. Lee Evans is a classy quality player. To assert he "laid down" shows how little you know. Jerk.

My jaw dropped reading this because of how dumb it really is. Now all of the sudden he is a 3? :wacko:

So you want to start 3 guys who have show nothing? This is why you are not the coach/GM

Lee doesn't have to the ability to shed the double-teams like a true #1 WR can. Lee is a very good short, speedy WR, but he doesn't have the size & strength to constantly outleap and outmuscle DB's. Once Lee starts losing his speed, he'll turn into another Peerless Price.

Thats not true. I remember a game against the Jets where a ball was thrown to Evans, it was underthrown and should have been an interception, but Lee went up and stole it out of the hands of the Jets CB. I cant get a video right now because im at work(stupid filters), but i will get it up to prove he can do the things you say he cant.

Ah....refreshing breath of intelligence. I will add one caveat that Lee Evans in his first 3 years looked GREAT. He had 2 QBs in Bledsoe and Losman that had big arms. Bring in noodle arm Edwards and all of a sudden people are questioning if Lee is a #1 or not. Stupid! Get the guy a QB!!!!!!

ive never heard anyone of any consequence criticize Edwards arm strength as being particulary "noodly". Is he somewhat shellshocked?..i would consider that fairly understandable considering his lack of pass protection the last few years, not to mention the preseason meltdown of the coaching situation. If you would have preferred to see Losman blindly chucking the ball downfield, that's fine. Obviously that strategy has served JP really well thus far in his career. (eyeroll).

what we've had the last few years is a plague of injuries that would have disrailed ANY football team in ANY league.

i dont think ANY number of "hands-free" squats would have prevented them. what we need is a little bit of luck to go our way for once.

if we had had anything go our way last year, we started out with the talent to win football games, in fact, even as ****ty as it was we nearly had an even record.

i think its time to stop scapegoating individual players and start looking at the situation as "a whole"....not as "a-holes"