Netflix question

Just Jack

Dropped all my movie channels this weekend and switched to Netfilx since I wasn't watching enough movies to warrant paying over $30/month. If I'm watching a TV series instantly, do I just get one episode or will it show the next episode once the first is done?

Any other tips/tricks?

for the most part, you get all of the episodes for each season they have up. there are few shows, Arrested Development for example, where the pilot episode is available on disc only, but every other episode ever made through it's 3 seasons is available. but for shows like 30 Rock, The Office, LOST, etc., every episode is available. when you select the season, there is a submenu to select the episode. it will also automatically load the next one from the episode you watched previously.

good choice cutting out the movie channels and going netflix. we did the same thing. i know a couple people that got rid of cable completely and we're considering doing that next.

what are you streaming it through? PS3? Wii? Computer hooked up to TV?

If you don't already have an Xbox360 or PS3 (don't use the Wii - it doesn't output HD), I highly recommend purchasing a Roku box. They're ~$100 and work great. You can stream Netflix, and they also have other services like streaming MLB games, Flickr, etc. No monthly fee or anything - just the cost of the box. It has wireless (and hardwired) as well, so it's very flexible.

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-N1100-HD-Player...4979&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-N1101-HD-XR-Pla...4979&sr=8-2

If you don't already have an Xbox360 or PS3 (don't use the Wii - it doesn't output HD), I highly recommend purchasing a Roku box. They're ~$100 and work great. You can stream Netflix, and they also have other services like streaming MLB games, Flickr, etc. No monthly fee or anything - just the cost of the box. It has wireless (and hardwired) as well, so it's very flexible.

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-N1100-HD-Player...4979&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-N1101-HD-XR-Pla...4979&sr=8-2

I've set up a few Roku boxes and was mightily impressed. Very easy wireless install and looks like a breeze to operate.

But I have a question for those in the know. Has anyone setup a Blu Ray player for Netflix? This week I will have to set this up, and it will by my first exposure to this method:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16882676125

I've set up a few Roku boxes and was mightily impressed. Very easy wireless install and looks like a breeze to operate.

But I have a question for those in the know. Has anyone setup a Blu Ray player for Netflix? This week I will have to set this up, and it will by my first exposure to this method:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16882676125

About a year ago I set up an LG Blu-ray/Netflix Home Theater that is very similar to the one you linked to. Setup was a breeze, and it has worked perfectly. Per the recommendation of the IT guys in my office I didn't try the wireless - I ran a hardwire connection to my router.

I agree it is worth it to ditch the movies channels (what we did) for Netflix. We've got a much greater selection for a lower monthly price, and the streaming on my computer is great when I'm traveling. I did discover, to my dismay, that the streaming is disabled when you leave the U.S.

About a year ago I set up an LG Blu-ray/Netflix Home Theater that is very similar to the one you linked to. Setup was a breeze, and it has worked perfectly. Per the recommendation of the IT guys in my office I didn't try the wireless - I ran a hardwire connection to my router.

Wired isn't a possibility in my install. I'll have to do a bit of research to see what issues, if any, the Samsung has with a wireless connection.

Wired isn't a possibility in my install. I'll have to do a bit of research to see what issues, if any, the Samsung has with a wireless connection.

I don't know about wireless on a BD player, but wireless on the Roku works just fine. Therefore, I would assume it'd be fine on the BD player as well.

My laptop currently. I'm going to get a Roku once I get moved to my apartment. I rarely use my PS2 so I can't see spending money on a PS3 or XB.

If you don't already have an Xbox360 or PS3 (don't use the Wii - it doesn't output HD), I highly recommend purchasing a Roku box.

My parents have a Roku, that's why I started considering dropping the channels and going Netflix. It was their Mothers/Fathers day present last year along with the Netflix sub. Originally we set it up as wireless (they're on DSL) but after a month decided to go wired since there were times they had buffering issues if someone was on the computer at the same time you're trying to watch something. Not alot, but just enough to make it annoying versus taking the 1/2 hour to run a cable and add jacks in the computer room and living room.

IMO the concept is great, video quality isn't too bad, but the audio is severely lacking right now. I heard they were working on adding DD 5.1, but haven't seen any start date yet. Until they do, I really won't and don't use this feature very often. Give me 1080P video + lossless audio streaming, and then I'll be happy.

IMO the concept is great, video quality isn't too bad, but the audio is severely lacking right now. I heard they were working on adding DD 5.1, but haven't seen any start date yet. Until they do, I really won't and don't use this feature very often. Give me 1080P video + lossless audio streaming, and then I'll be happy.

Is that streaming in general with Netflix...? I haven't streamed anything to my theater, and my living room's audio isn't that great so I don't care when I watch a TV show without DD5.1. But I wasn't aware that it wasn't an option yet...

Dropped all my movie channels this weekend and switched to Netfilx since I wasn't watching enough movies to warrant paying over $30/month. If I'm watching a TV series instantly, do I just get one episode or will it show the next episode once the first is done?

Any other tips/tricks?

You'll be thrilled with it, my friend. That's how I watched every single episode of Lost, Seasons 1-5. As the good doctor said, it gives you a menu that includes each show from that season. Couldn't be easier.

The available titles are also become much more attractive. Usually about half of what they have listed are movies I haven't herad of before or that just didn't look good to me. When I scrollled through it the other day, I couldn't believe the films that were available! You won't get new releases, obviously, but you'll get more good stuff to watch than you could ever get through.

Is that streaming in general with Netflix...? I haven't streamed anything to my theater, and my living room's audio isn't that great so I don't care when I watch a TV show without DD5.1. But I wasn't aware that it wasn't an option yet...

Not sure about non-HD sources, but

Here's a discussion from several months ago:

more

A Netflix representative has clarified that the company plans to bring 5.1 surround and closed captioning to its streaming HD videos later this year, though 1080p Watch Instantly is not on the books for this year.

I don't see anything more recent that indicates they've added it.

Not sure about non-HD sources, but

Here's a discussion from several months ago:

more

I don't see anything more recent that indicates they've added it.

The thing that kills me is that people talk about other services like Amazon and Red whatever, but they forget that the streaming service from netlix is fuggin FREE lol. Hell, I remember having conversations with Rico YEARS ago about the value he was getting out of the service...he coudln't even watch what he wsa renting it was so much. Same is true for me...the mail order service alone is a HUGE value for what they charge, even when they ask another buck or two per MONTH for having access to blu-ray. But the streaming aspect is totally FREE and ulimited for subscribers who have anything but the bare bones plan. That's partly why I get so excited about this whole thing, cause even if were still just the mail service it's saving me a LOT of money from going to blockbuster or hollywood. So when you all of a sudden make available to me hundreds or thousands of titles - movies, tv shows, documentaries, etc, etc, etc - in addition to an already great service, and then NOT CHARGE ME FOR IT, holy crap man....what better value is there in entertainment these days? I don't see how anything comes close to what Netflix offers. :thumbsup:

The thing that kills me is that people talk about other services like Amazon and Red whatever, but they forget that the streaming service from netlix is fuggin FREE lol. Hell, I remember having conversations with Rico YEARS ago about the value he was getting out of the service...he coudln't even watch what he wsa renting it was so much. Same is true for me...the mail order service alone is a HUGE value for what they charge, even when they ask another buck or two per MONTH for having access to blu-ray. But the streaming aspect is totally FREE and ulimited for subscribers who have anything but the bare bones plan. That's partly why I get so excited about this whole thing, cause even if were still just the mail service it's saving me a LOT of money from going to blockbuster or hollywood. So when you all of a sudden make available to me hundreds or thousands of titles - movies, tv shows, documentaries, etc, etc, etc - in addition to an already great service, and then NOT CHARGE ME FOR IT, holy crap man....what better value is there in entertainment these days? I don't see how anything comes close to what Netflix offers. :thumbsup:
;)

Yeah, that was in the pre-BD days... rent, rip, burn, and ship back... I stopped doing that though, not really interested in watching upscaled DVDs anymore either. :w00t:

:thumbsup:

Yeah, that was in the pre-BD days... rent, rip, burn, and ship back... I stopped doing that though, not really interested in watching upscaled DVDs anymore either. ;)

lmao, you must have ended up with a HUGE collection brah lol

But the streaming aspect is totally FREE and ulimited for subscribers who have anything but the bare bones plan.

That's what I got. Haven't even bothered setting up a queue for the mailed DVDs. Just gonna stream for a while.

That's what I got. Haven't even bothered setting up a queue for the mailed DVDs. Just gonna stream for a while.

Very cool....let us know how you like it, and don't forget to use the mail system too once you get going, even if you just mainly use it for new releases....it just gives you more options to have around for when you're in the mood for a flick, you know?

I pay for the minimum netflix package, $8/month i think. I don't have any netflix movies at my house, i pay that $8 solely for the streaming. I use my PS3 (which, incidentally, is the only reason I use my PS3 now).

I've really considered canceling cable because of it. But being the lazy American I am, that thought scares the **** out of me.