What a bush league city

This thread reminds me of:

Glenn's buddy: Robbie Hart? Oh, man, I heard what happened to you at your wedding, that was so cold! You must've felt like ****!

Robbie: No, it felt real good, thanks for bringing that up, man. Hey, my parents died when I was ten, would you like to talk about that?

Glenn's buddy: No, why would I wanna talk about that?

Robbie: I don't know.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww, c'mon, theres lots to do in Stevensville now that its summer, Zooz (Sorry, Safari Niagara) is now open!

No one has ever confused Buffalo as the party capitol of the world, and except to see phenom pitchers playing their last minor league game, no one is packing minor league stadiums on a week night, besides NY and Boston, not many major league stadiums are packed on week nights

my apologies on stevensville.

but ya know what's curious: banana boy never told where he's from so that he could enlighten us on what this captivating hometown of his is like on a tuesday night, where the fountains perennially flow with gold, and the bartenders always have lovely stories of how the workers always stay downtown and never go home and never get too drunk and tip 40 percent, and where cherubs sing from gleaming spires of glass that reflect in the sun to form rainbow prisms on the always perfectly manicured park lawns, where dogs don't pooh, and kids run wild and free;

it's a place where the newspapers -- all 17 of them -- have staffs of 613 reporters, each of whom works day and night to satisify these lustful cravings for baseball and football and even hockey, even if the sabres are out of the playoffs. but then again, in a place like this, the home team is never out of the playoffs, because they always win the champoinship, and all the minor league baseball teams -- from single A on up to quintessential A -- play before packed houses, and they never play a road game, and everyone catches a foul ball and goes home happy.

it's a wonder why he'd ever leave.

jw

it's a place where the newspapers -- all 17 of them -- have staffs of 613 reporters, each of whom works day and night

He must live in Winston-Salem, home of the Journal, which still has 20 people on the copy desk (before the consolidation with Richmond and Tampa), yet literally no presence in the state capital.

He must live in Winston-Salem, home of the Journal, which still has 20 people on the copy desk (before the consolidation with Richmond and Tampa), yet literally no presence in the state capital.

Our only remaining daily print paper, the Cincy Enquirer, has been publishing their page of baseball news, scores, standings, line-ups etc. around the league, directly form USA Today - along with their well-known print font - I never liked that font. 2 weels ago, they slipped in a USAToday feed page for national news.

Like most internet newspaper sites, their site is truncated, and they delete content hourly if they sniff something controversial. You can't un-ring a bell, you can't call back the printed word. Their newsmen and newsgals that dig up our local and State dirt (no lack there) must be pounding down Tums.

I'm sure their days are numbered, I'm sad for them and am worried about their watchful eyes disappearing. You know what I'm saying.

same thing happens here in Atlanta downtown. actually, most major cities have financial/business districts downtown that become ghost towns at 5:30pm. if you, or the bartender, wanted action you should have hit the Elmwood strip where there are always plenty of people out and about.

as for the game attendance, even the Braves dont pack the seats for a Tuesday night game (probably not even half full). are you surprised that a mid-week AAA game is empty?

what a bush league tourist...

The Red Wings had 9858 fans in attendance yesterday......a Wednesday....after a 7 game home losing streak.....with a rainstorm forecast.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Having said that, Toronto is nice, but it doesn't form but a pimple on the ass of Manhattan.

but ya know what's curious: banana boy never told where he's from so that he could enlighten us on what this captivating hometown of his is like on a tuesday night, where the fountains perennially flow with gold, and the bartenders always have lovely stories of how the workers always stay downtown and never go home and never get too drunk and tip 40 percent, and where cherubs sing from gleaming spires of glass that reflect in the sun to form rainbow prisms on the always perfectly manicured park lawns, where dogs don't pooh, and kids run wild and free;

it's a place where the newspapers -- all 17 of them -- have staffs of 613 reporters, each of whom works day and night to satisify these lustful cravings for baseball and football and even hockey, even if the sabres are out of the playoffs. but then again, in a place like this, the home team is never out of the playoffs, because they always win the champoinship, and all the minor league baseball teams -- from single A on up to quintessential A -- play before packed houses, and they never play a road game, and everyone catches a foul ball and goes home happy.

jw

Funny and well written. For me to think of something clever like this would take me quite a while. You can tell someones a professional writer!! :rolleyes:

Yeah. Is that the average attendance?

Maybe (they had over 12,000 on a thursday in mud May). The point is that several are dismissing the reported embarrassing Bison turnout as function of it being a school nite in AAA baseball.

That's not a problem 75 miles east.

Maybe (they had over 12,000 on a thursday in mud May). The point is that several are dismissing the reported embarrassing Bison turnout as function of it being a school nite in AAA baseball.

That's not a problem 75 miles east.

How much of that is a function of Rochester not having major league sports teams?

How much of that is a function of Rochester not having major league sports teams?

You mean all the other sports fans in Buffalo were at the Bills and Sabres games that night? Or the poor fans in Buffalo can't afford $6 Bison tickets?

Look, the Red Wings are so under the radar here. Nobody talks about them, yet they draw what they do. The excuses given aren't valid. Easily proven false.

I haven't been there in a year, but downtown B-Lo was always busy on nights with Thursday at the Square. We are talking up to 20k people busy. Boy I miss it!

Side Bar: I saw that Umphrey's McGee is playing with Tea Leaf Green at TATS for the third time.

Does Tea Leaf Green ever play without them?

Another year of an incredibly ho hum line up. I'm glad I am taking EMT courses until 10pm on Thursday.

jw

I'll tell you where. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano.