No lead pony in QB race

I thought I read on ESPN via Scouts Inc.'s Jeremy Green that Trent was #1 Fitz #2 .

The Bills’ biggest weakness is at the most important position on the field, which is more than likely going to guarantee them a top-five pick in next year’s draft. What is hard to understand is that even though the team knew this was the biggest concern coming into this offseason, Buffalo did very little to upgrade.

Trent Edwards returns as the starter, Ryan Fitzpatrick as the backup and then the third spot will be settled in camp between Brian Brohm (who filled that role last season) and rookie seventh-round pick Levi Brown.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...ess-quarterback

True, and because you don't even want your starter thinking he won the job so easily. You want him to fight every play to win the job and learn the playbook as much as he possibly can to win the job. Once you have made the decision, of course, you need to get him in there and get the reps with the first string.

I am really starting to like Gailey a lot as a football coach. Of course, it means little until we see results on the field in the form of wins on sundays that matter, but he is a tough, smart, experienced, thoughtful, demanding coach. I love his answers to the media when usually coaches never give decent answers.

My sense is that over the past decade and a half a big part of the Bills problem has been that team we all love since the loss of Jimbo as consistently tried to replace him by designating their new Jimbo based on the learned assessment of someone in charge rather than by seeing a player produce Ws on the field.

A. The draft is always an item of legit debate but it is now demonstrably clear that Ralph himself made a critical football error when he made the handshake deal only he could make with his handshake deal to despite salary cap limitations he was gonna reward Jimbo fiscally with is next contract. Ralph erred in judging how much Jimbo had left and thus they delayed a year too long in drafting a replacement for him, likely reached in picked TC and then rushed him into the starting role when all he had shown on the field was good accuracy in the pocket but happy feet when put under pressure,

The designation of a savior without on field production was our problem.

B. The Bills signed Flutie to an SA deal with a promise at a chance to win the job on the field and then simply made that promise a lie by not only trading for RJ (they actually did not overpay to get him as a promising vet QB commanded a 1st at the time), but they made the big mistake by simply designating him the savior by signing him to guaranteed starter QB $ without requiring that he prove on the field he was not injury prone. He turned out to be and even worse for us capwise Flutie hit all his incentives when he actually got a chance to play due to RJs extended stints on the DL.

Again the designation by what things looked like on paper killed us.

C. The Bills took a big risk (as one must do in this game from time to time) getting Bledsoe. However, this was a risk based on Bledsoe actually having at least QB'ed teams to the SB previously and actually he took over for an injured Brady in a must-win game in their run to the SB and did throw the winning TD. Yet the team made a mistake which was not based in real world onfield performance by extending his contract after the wash of a great 2002 but then a horrible 2003. TD had decided to hitch his wagon to Blledsoe and his decision to extend him ran totally counter to all onfield evidence.

D. TD then added insult to stupidity by then declaring JP the starter even though JP himself said that he would do the best he could but simply anointing him was not the way anyone should get the starting QB job.

I am simply thankful that Gailey is not taking the legend in his own mind approach of many fans and either declaring one of the three QBs a starter (or declaring Edwards as done when there is no real reason to do this yet though some fans was to declare him done- I personally think he is also too injury prone to make him your starter but I am not so stupid as to insist on this without some factual chance for him to try to prove himself while still under contract.

A truly open competition is the way to go. I agree that if a team has two (or 3) starter they actually do not have a starting QB (yet). However, we have until after the second pre-season game to allow reality to let us choose the starter and it would be silly and counterproductive for Gailey to designate one at the point,

I thought I read on ESPN via Scouts Inc.'s Jeremy Green that Trent was #1 Fitz #2 .

The Bills' biggest weakness is at the most important position on the field, which is more than likely going to guarantee them a top-five pick in next year's draft. What is hard to understand is that even though the team knew this was the biggest concern coming into this offseason, Buffalo did very little to upgrade.

Trent Edwards returns as the starter, Ryan Fitzpatrick as the backup and then the third spot will be settled in camp between Brian Brohm (who filled that role last season) and rookie seventh-round pick Levi Brown.

I doubt Green has any inside info and is simply speculating.

The Bills’ biggest weakness is at the most important position on the field, which is more than likely going to guarantee them a top-five pick in next year’s draft. What is hard to understand is that even though the team knew this was the biggest concern coming into this offseason, Buffalo did very little to upgrade.

The answer may be that Nix did not feel any QB in this draft was going to be the franchise player, and that maybe he could fix other important parts of the team now? Not every Super Bowl champion has a stud at QB, or Left Tackle for that matter. I mean even friggin' Trent Dilfer has a ring!

PTR

I doubt Green has any inside info and is simply speculating.

If Trent is not the starter then either

A.) We're in deep trouble; or

B.) Brohm or Levi Brown played out of their mind at every opportunity in OTAs, minicamp, and training camp.

A game plan that plays to Trent's strengths and makes use of a deep backfield and Parrish and Spiller could move the football.

People hating on Trent need to realize we're not going back to last year's insanity of hoping rookies and street free agents in the O-line can maintain protection for 4 seconds while pass plays open up downfield.

"But I was at the New Orleans game and I saw Lee running open and Trent checked down because he's a kitty."

I'm actually very curious to see what Edwards can do as a starter with a new coaching staff, especialy with a coach like Gailey. If he ends up the starter and still looks like the same thing as the past year and a half, then we know Edwards is incapable of running an NFL team. But, who knows? Maybe with Gailey he turns himself around.

Everything you read outside of TBD has Edwards a huge favorite to be the starter? It is far from a done deal, but a pretty safe bet at least that #5 will be in there on opening day.

Yet, oddly enough, Chan Gailey said yesterday (or maybe it was earlier this week) that none of the QBs has yet established himself ahead of the others.