Educated thoughts about Losman...

Toledo Bill

I do not spend a lot of time following college football. I would appreciate the opinions of those who do as to what they saw from Losman. Did he really display a great arm and elusiveness ? Was playing for Tulane a real test? There continues to be such a cry for him to be the #1 qb due to his draft status, I just wondered what he really displayed as a college qb. I know the newspapers, etc had some opinions when he was drafted but I was wondering what some of the TBD posters have to say.

Thanks for any opinions.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not spend a lot of time following college football. I would appreciate the opinions of those who do as to what they saw from Losman. Did he really display a great arm and elusiveness ? Was playing for Tulane a real test?  There continues to be such a cry for him to be the #1 qb due to his draft status, I just wondered what he really displayed as a college qb. I know the newspapers, etc had some opinions when he was drafted but I was wondering what some of the TBD posters have to say.

Thanks for any opinions.

140646[/snapback]

First off when you draft a QB in the first round, your team has sent a clear signal he is your franchise QB. That is the way it is, has always been done and will always be done.

As for Losman, Great mobility, armstrength. Accuracy in college was awsome. Unlike RJ very durable. Can take an asskicking and get back up to play. One of his greatest assets is his ability to throw on the run.

From various sources:

Positives: J.P. Losman has the physical attributes you want in an NFL quarterback. He has good size (6-3, 220) and strength, a very strong arm that can make all the throws including the deep out, and one of the quickest releases in all of college football.

Losman has decent agility, and good speed. He also has above average athletic ability. He can make plays with his feet and can throw on the run. He's a fiery competitor, a tough leader and can take a hit. He doesn't get shaken often.

Negatives: Losman doesn't set his feet real well, throws off his back foot often causing the ball to sail, and doesn't rotate his hips properly. At Tulane, he played mostly out of the shotgun and will have to adjust to playing under center. He tends to rush his throws at times and will force the pass too often. Sometimes tries to make too much happen by himself. Also needs to work on reading coverages a little better.

POSITIVES: Nice-sized athletic passer with an NFL arm. Quickly sets up in the pocket, has a short, quick delivery and the pass explodes from his hand. Patient, buys time in the pocket and a tough passer that takes a hit in order to get the throw off. Senses pressure, gets outside tackle and easily eludes the rush, making the throw on the move. Looks off the safety and goes to secondary targets, not forcing the issue or making bad choices. Challenges the vertical game and at the same time makes all the throws. Zips the outs into tight coverage, drives the ball downfield, yet also puts touch on passes when required. Makes plays with his legs and has an aggressive running style when he takes off from the pocket.

NEGATIVES: Throws flat footed at times and as a result will be high of a target. Too often relies on his strong arm to make the play. Holds the ball too long in the pocket and takes unnecessary sacks.

ANALYSIS: A confident quarterback with the tools to back it up, Losman is a physically gifted passer with the ability to play in multiple offensive schemes. Offering a good upside for the next level, he will eventually be a solid productive quarterback in the NFL.

From various sources:

Positives: J.P. Losman has the physical attributes you want in an NFL quarterback. He has good size (6-3, 220) and strength, a very strong arm that can make all the throws including the deep out, and one of the quickest releases in all of college football.

Losman has decent agility, and good speed. He also has above average athletic ability. He can make plays with his feet and can throw on the run. He's a fiery competitor, a tough leader and can take a hit. He doesn't get shaken often.

Negatives: Losman doesn't set his feet real well, throws off his back foot often causing the ball to sail, and doesn't rotate his hips properly. At Tulane, he played mostly out of the shotgun and will have to adjust to playing under center. He tends to rush his throws at times and will force the pass too often. Sometimes tries to make too much happen by himself. Also needs to work on reading coverages a little better.

POSITIVES: Nice-sized athletic passer with an NFL arm. Quickly sets up in the pocket, has a short, quick delivery and the pass explodes from his hand. Patient, buys time in the pocket and a tough passer that takes a hit in order to get the throw off. Senses pressure, gets outside tackle and easily eludes the rush, making the throw on the move. Looks off the safety and goes to secondary targets, not forcing the issue or making bad choices. Challenges the vertical game and at the same time makes all the throws. Zips the outs into tight coverage, drives the ball downfield, yet also puts touch on passes when required. Makes plays with his legs and has an aggressive running style when he takes off from the pocket.

NEGATIVES: Throws flat footed at times and as a result will be high of a target. Too often relies on his strong arm to make the play. Holds the ball too long in the pocket and takes unnecessary sacks.

ANALYSIS: A confident quarterback with the tools to back it up, Losman is a physically gifted passer with the ability to play in multiple offensive schemes. Offering a good upside for the next level, he will eventually be a solid productive quarterback in the NFL.

140677[/snapback]

Interesting stuff. But if this kid is 6-3, 220 , I'm Yao Ming.

Well we certainly saw a very live arm and some sweet feet in the preseason. But we still don't know the most important thing about him.

Can the boy think while people are trying to rip his head off?

I think a more accurate set of numbers for JP is 6'2" and 217. Losman is every thing you'd ever want in a QB from a physical standpoint. He did pretty much carry the Tulane offence while there, though they did have a decent running back, who has started some games in the NFL this season as a rookie. Mewelde Moore?

The downside is that running for his life oft times behind Tulane's porous offensive line he developed some bad habits as far as his footwork goes. Amazingly, he was usually pretty accurate even when his footwork was bad. Tulane ran a lot of shotgun I understand, so he really hasn't spent a lot of time under center, and Tulane was definitely not a pro style offence. The bottom line is that coming out of college Losman was not as ready for the pro game as other first rounders. His upside is as good as any of them, but he frankly need this year on the bench, working with Sam Wyche in practice. Whether a year will be enough is anyone's guess, and will continue to be debated. As far as the image of cockiness put out there by the media, I don't buy it. He is very confident in his ability. A QB needs that. Swagger is a good thing. Back in training camp, however, he said all the right things, expressing comfort with the idea of Bledsoe starting and saying there was a great deal he needed to learn. He's always been very approachable and friendly to fans and seems like a really genuine, likeable guy.

As much as I like the upside of this guy, it's too soon right now to throw him in. He's a raw talent that still needs to be cooked. I don't want to hear "well, look at Roethlisberger", since he's dropped off a bit from his good run earlier in the season. Besides, that doesn't happen very often in this league and I don't see lightning striking twice. JP is good, make no mistake. I just don't see the Bills getting lucky like the Steelers did. By throwing him in there now, things will get worse before they get better.

Not to mention, the injury set him back a few months. I think Mularkey's on the right track....ease him in now, play him at the end of the blowouts, get him a little exposure.

Having said that, JP should be the solid #2 going into 2005 and should be ready to step in for Drew at a moment's notice. I agree with ICE that he shouldn't be wasted on the bench, given he was a first round pick. I've been behind Bledsoe since day 1 (and will until he just can't do it anymore), but he's not going to last much longer. Drew's the guy for now. Don't start JP just because he was a first round pick. Start him because he's ready.

What's the matter mead? The truth hurt? I look at this kid and sometimes I see another #11 on his back.

140743[/snapback]

I see a guy that was given a cheap shot by a POS CB that himself has set the bench all year.

As much as I like the upside of this guy, it's too soon right now to throw him in. He's a raw talent that still needs to be cooked. I don't want to hear "well, look at Roethlisberger", since he's dropped off a bit from his good run earlier in the season. Besides, that doesn't happen very often in this league and I don't see lightning striking twice. JP is good, make no mistake. I just don't see the Bills getting lucky like the Steelers did. By throwing him in there now, things will get worse before they get better.

Not to mention, the injury set him back a few months. I think Mularkey's on the right track....ease him in now, play him at the end of the blowouts, get him a little exposure.

Having said that, JP should be the solid #2 going into 2005 and should be ready to step in for Drew at a moment's notice. I agree with ICE that he shouldn't be wasted on the bench, given he was a first round pick. I've been behind Bledsoe since day 1 (and will until he just can't do it anymore), but he's not going to last much longer. Drew's the guy for now. Don't start JP just because he was a first round pick. Start him because he's ready.

140752[/snapback]

My only comment is...was Rothlesburger ready? No more so than Manning, JP or Rivers. Look where Rothlesburger is now. We have a team now that can protect JP just like Roth is protected in Pitt.