most o-line combo's in the league

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=5207239 about the instability of offensive lines in the league now a day's......the bills had 9 different o-line combo's and 11 starters last year.

turns out that was the highest by far of any other nfl team......injuries are surely a part, but it's also got to fall a bit on jauron and his no-offensive-coordinator BS......

anyway, good work by espn......

9 different O-line combinations? Geeze that's a greater then 50% chance that if you tuned into a Bills game last season they were using a different O-line combination then the game before.

The best way to shape an O-line is to have consistency making a bunch of guys start a bunch of games in a row and formulate an identity as a unit. Now injuries often times leads to this being a problem but if you have a bunch of young guys you are confident in you need to give them a season or even two to maximize their potential.

We have Wood and Levitre as the building blocks and a couple of guys like Meridith, Bell, and Wang who might step up and fill a role at LT or RT.

If it were just one season you might chalk it up to having bad luck - but the Bills were plagued with injuries the whole Jauron era - and that is one of the things I liked so much about Chan and Nix - that they brought it two strength and conditioning coaches. If you're spending all this money on players and equipment and fields - why not spend on extra coaches? Especially in this area - where they can closely follow these players condition and know that each one is ready, and how they can stay at maximum levels of readiness. I'll bet it becomes a trend.

If it were just one season you might chalk it up to having bad luck - but the Bills were plagued with injuries the whole Jauron era - and that is one of the things I liked so much about Chan and Nix - that they brought it two strength and conditioning coaches. If you're spending all this money on players and equipment and fields - why not spend on extra coaches? Especially in this area - where they can closely follow these players condition and know that each one is ready, and how they can stay at maximum levels of readiness. I'll bet it becomes a trend.

This is the key point for the entire 2010/2011 season. Bingo. Very well done for bringing this up. The 2009/2010 season was horrific in terms of injuries, but it was childs play compared to 2007/2008. What the hell is going on at One Bills Drive?!? One season (2007) was terrible in terms of injuries, and possilbly a fluke. But when it was followed up with the same situation thanks to the largely intact coaching staff during the 2009 season...okay, that's starting to look like a pattern. A bad one.

"The Hitler Rap" - Mel Brooks

Hopefully, the new strength and conditioning group will go a long way to turning this ship around. I think that was the main reason for all of the injuries, our laid back approach when it came to working out.

It's nine total combos, but it may have switched even more often in there - if someone went out for a game and came back the next week, that's three different lines in a row, but only two different ones 'overall.' And if this is starters, it ignores how often a lineman would miss the second half due to injury, etc.

If we can average at least 14 starts from our starting 5 on Week One, we'll have a better offense.

Great post. I had been voicing this the past few seasons. Jauron ran a soft camp, had small players and very bad strength and conditioning. Thats a recipe for a ton of injuries and a lack of success on the field.

The Bills also lost an NFL-high 103 games by starters last year, which was 28 games more than the next team (Rams).

Ouch! The OL injury bug caught up to them. IIRC, they escaped it for the past few previous seasons.

CIN was at the bottom in '08. Gosselin had an article:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...in.34d3911.html

Training camp injuries hurt, also. In '08, CIN was able to dress only 60 or so for 2 or 3 of their preseason games. So the valuable evaluation time needed to set the roster is compromised.

There's also a "hidden" price to pay when you end up a season with a bunch on IR - it can affect your upcoming draft. Will this player be able to return? What about that one who plays at this or that position?

That uncertainty can force you to speculate, and pick a player/position that you might not if you didn't have so many injured player "question marks."

The Bills' decision to switch to a 3-4 compounded the difficulty IMO. I'm in the "wait and see" camp re Spiller, but dice exist for the purpose of being rolled! For the rest of the selections, I have no strident opinions either way...they were in a tough situation.

I'm sure they will be combing the cuts. Well - I hope so.

Mix in the above along with the schedule as well as the league uncapped year, and it should be an *interesting* season. :blush: