Player urinates on field during anthem

el Tigre

“We were all disheartened that a youngster would do that,” Rasnick said. “I don’t think anyone was fiery angry, more of a sorrowful kind of anger. But as hurtful and hateful a symbol as that one, the First Amendment gives him the right to do it, and thank God we still have that freedom. But it’s just very disrespectful to the flag, and especially to us guys who served our time.”

This first ammendment gives us the right to take a piss on a public baseball field? Who knew?

This first ammendment gives us the right to take a piss on a public baseball field? Who knew?
According to the team’s on-line roster, the sophomore is a varsity pitcher and outfielder. He’s a celebrated quarterback on the football team, according to accounts in sports pages across the Tri-Cities, and his father is listed on the Powell Valley High School’s website as a coach and physical education teacher.

I think this probably gave him the right.

Ah, to be young and stupid again...

Related question: what do you guys think about the BHC printing his name? That's created its own stir:

http://www2.tricities.com/tri/news/opinion...ds_by_it/46249/

(Full disclosure: I know Jim Sacco, the new SE there, but the story and the decision to run the name came from news, not sports.)

Related question: what do you guys think about the BHC printing his name? That's created its own stir:

(Full disclosure: I know Jim Sacco, the new SE there, but the story and the decision to run the name came from news, not sports.)

I don't think they should have printed his name at all. Yes, he did his act in full public view of many people. But to have this story follow the kid around for oh...the next 30 or so years is wrong. Most jobs run Google searches on you before being hired. I assume many colleges may do likewise in the admissions process. To force this kid to explain this away as a youthful indiscretion for the forseeable future is wrong, IMHO.

How many of us would have liked our stupidest decisions made when we were 15-17 years old printed in the local paper and searchable by Google forcing us to explain them to potential employers for years to come?

I disagree completely with their secondary reason that he is some type of "role model," just because he is an athlete. That is bupkus.

I don't think they should have printed his name at all. Yes, he did his act in full public view of many people. But to have this story follow the kid around for oh...the next 30 or so years is wrong. Most jobs run Google searches on you before being hired. I assume many colleges may do likewise in the admissions process. To force this kid to explain this away as a youthful indiscretion for the forseeable future is wrong, IMHO.

How many of us would have liked our stupidest decisions made when we were 15-17 years old printed in the local paper and searchable by Google forcing us to explain them to potential employers for years to come?

I disagree completely with their secondary reason that he is some type of "role model," just because he is an athlete. That is bupkus.

Sorry - that is the hazard of the current technological world that we live in now. He should have put his brain in gear first.

“When they play the Star Spangled Banner, a lot of folks keep on talking, drinking their sodas and eating their popcorn. A mighty hush doesn’t come over the crowd anymore,” he said. “This is just one incident where a youngster did a stupid thing, and he’s probably very sorry. I bet that someday, when he matures, he’ll realize that he did a very hurtful and distasteful thing.”

Oh well then, I guess it's ok. :devil:

If the kid is under 15 then printing the name would be wrong in my book. If the kid is 16 or older then it's completely fair game. 15 is iffy. (I don't know the age of the kid) The kid obviously thinks he's special and can get away with anything because he's the QB of the team. If anyone needs a healthy dose of reality it's this kid. JMO

Being outed in a newspaper is far less serious than what could have befallen this athlete. He could have been charged with indecent exposure and registered as a sex offender. I imagine if a newspaper editor committed the same offense, such charges would have been guaranteed.

:thumbsup:

The apologists have no idea how serious this crime is and should stop making excuses for him. They aren't helping him in any way. JMO

And the news decision came from J. Todd Foster, who, if I'm not mistaken, was snubbed by the Washington Post a few years ago. Then, his paper won a Pulitzer.

How did somebody not kick his ass?

I think a good ass kicking is a more fitting punishment for this crime than printing his name in the paper. I'd hate to see the kid carry around a stigma for half his life for one idiotic act in his youth.

I think a good ass kicking is a more fitting punishment for this crime than printing his name in the paper. I'd hate to see the kid carry around a stigma for half his life for one idiotic act in his youth.

He is also the star quarterback for the football team, and dozens, if not hundreds, of people were at the game. Everybody knows he's the kid who did it. The stigma is there regardless of whether or not the newspaper prints his name. If you haven't already, please read the editor's justification -- the link is in Lori's post.

And the news decision came from J. Todd Foster, who, if I'm not mistaken, was snubbed by the Washington Post a few years ago. Then, his paper won a Pulitzer.

Indeed.

Personally? Doubt I would've run it, but I think he makes a logical argument to support his reasoning. I'm not sure the suggestion that the kid was possibly suicidal because of the story belonged in the public discussion, though. That's dangerous ground.

Indeed.

Personally? Doubt I would've run it, but I think he makes a logical argument to support his reasoning. I'm not sure the suggestion that the kid was possibly suicidal because of the story belonged in the public discussion, though. That's dangerous ground.

Maybe not, but it certainly exposes the lengths to which some people will go shift blame/point fingers/keep something out of the paper, regardless of whether or not it's true. You know this.

He is also the star quarterback for the football team, and dozens, if not hundreds, of people were at the game. Everybody knows he's the kid who did it. The stigma is there regardless of whether or not the newspaper prints his name. If you haven't already, please read the editor's justification -- the link is in Lori's post.

The stigma, yes, but it would not likely show up on Google search in 20 years when the kid applies for a job. Thats the problem I have. Branding a 15 year old kid with a permanent scarlet letter for one, apprently isolated, act of stupidity.