Ignition locks added to Minn.'s fight against DWIs

Fezmid

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already in place in Ontario for quite some time now. First offense is a 1 year license suspension and one year blowing into the device or you don't have to get the device if you wait a second year before driving.

I'm torn on this one. On one hand, I don't like government getting their nose in people's personal lives. On the other hand, I don't like drunk drivers killing people...

http://www.startribune.com/politics/941386...3aPc:_Yyc:aUUsZ

Once they commit the first crime, their lives are no longer "personal" when it comes to being behind the wheel. It's a punishment, same as going to jail IMO.

Once they commit the first crime, their lives are no longer "personal" when it comes to being behind the wheel. It's a punishment, same as going to jail IMO.

I agree, with two caveats:

1) who's paying for the device? it better be the perp.

2) very slippery slope. what happens when the do-gooders come back with the "we could stop ALL drunk driving if everyone had to do this" bullsh--?

I agree, with two caveats:

1) who's paying for the device? it better be the perp.

2) very slippery slope. what happens when the do-gooders come back with the "we could stop ALL drunk driving if everyone had to do this" bullsh--?

Absolutly not!!!

Caveats aside, there cant be any.

I'm all for personal liberties but when you infringe on my right to drive safely then you need to be punished for that to make sure you don't do it again. I don't see any issues with this.

I'm all for personal liberties but when you infringe on my right to drive safely then you need to be punished for that to make sure you don't do it again. I don't see any issues with this.

Like I said, in general I agree - but like KD said, what's to stop the next step being everyone has to have one of these things?

And what's to stop someone from going out and buying a new car without the device? You can buy a used car for cheaper than the $1200/year this device costs the person. People drive with suspended licenses all the time, so why would driving a non-equipped car be any different?

Like I said, in general I agree - but like KD said, what's to stop the next step being everyone has to have one of these things?

And what's to stop someone from going out and buying a new car without the device? You can buy a used car for cheaper than the $1200/year this device costs the person. People drive with suspended licenses all the time, so why would driving a non-equipped car be any different?

I'm a big proponent of this and for good reason but where are you getting your $1200 figure. Here in MO, they cost $75 for an install and then $50 a month to "rent" the interlock unit from a company. The companies that make these things can pretty much charge whatever they want because these people are court ordered to have them in there car. Also I don't know about anywhere else but here if you drive another vehicle without and interlock it is a Class-1A misdemeanor and is much worse than driving on a suspended license, its essentially the same/maybe worse than getting another DUI.

I'm a big proponent of this and for good reason but where are you gettting your $1200 figure. Here in MO, they cost $75 for an install and then $50 a month to "rent" the interlock unit from a company. The companies that make these things can pretty much charge whatever they want because these people are court ordered to have them in there car. Also I don't know about anywhere else but here if you drive another vehicle without and interlock it is a Class-1A mistameanor and is much worse than driving on a suspended license, its essentially the same/maybe worse than getting another DUI.

Sorry guess i should have read the article :thumbsup: . Anyway I know for a fact its half that in MO.

I'm a big proponent of this and for good reason but where are you gettting your $1200 figure. Here in MO, they cost $75 for an install and then $50 a month to "rent" the interlock unit from a company. The companies that make these things can pretty much charge whatever they want because these people are court ordered to have them in there car. Also I don't know about anywhere else but here if you drive another vehicle without and interlock it is a Class-1A mistameanor and is much worse than driving on a suspended license, its essentially the same/maybe worse than getting another DUI.

You should read the article (oh, you just did - nevermind :thumbsup: )

"Drivers ordered to use the devices would lease them for an estimated $100 a month."

And if people are willing to drive drunk, they're probably willing to risk a Class-1A misdemeanor if they get caught -- because they don't think they'll ever get caught.

A guy I used to work with had gotten 2 DUIs. Had to spend a week in jail and couldn't drive for a year. Then when he was able to drive, he had to have one of those devices in his car for 2 more years. He always had problems with it. Fortunately, he lived across the street from the office, so he could walk to work anyway.

That was quite a place. Of the 6 people in my group, 3 had DUIs and another had been to re-hab. That left two of us as "normal", but the other guy was a vegetarian.

Florida is whack. :thumbsup:

You should read the article (oh, you just did - nevermind :devil: )

"Drivers ordered to use the devices would lease them for an estimated $100 a month."

And if people are willing to drive drunk, they're probably willing to risk a Class-1A misdemeanor if they get caught -- because they don't think they'll ever get caught.

Well the dumbasses anyway, but there are normal people who screw up and get DUIs....I'm one of them. I got one when I was 21. I went out with my buddies to a bar to catch a Cardinal Playoff game even though I was battling a bad sinus infection (can't keep a 21 year old from a bar and his buddies I guess). Anyway I had a couple of beers and I was NOT drunk, barely had a buzz.....I wasn't feeling well so I decided to go home. On the way home, I stopped by Taco Hell to grab something to eat and while waiting in line to get my food a huge fight breaks out between a bunch of drunk frat boys in the two cars behind me. The police get there in about 2 minutes and for some reason the Taco Bell lady tells them I was involved even though I haven't said a word to these idiots or left my car. Anyway, long story short cops pulled me out of my car and after discovering that I had nothing to do with the fight started asking me how much I had to drink etc. I ended up blowing a .08 and got a DUI. As much as I drank at the time, I had no idea that I was at a .08....I felt fine and totally coherent. Looking back I wish I had of known my bac was that high. I think a lot of people don't realize how little it takes to get to a .08.

Two years later some :thumbsup: that was over 3 times the legal limit crossed a center line and killed my cousin. He had already had 4 DUIs and all he had gotten was 30 days work release for his last DUI. Douchebag got 4 and half years for killing my cousin and is probably already out of jail. Its people like this that make me such a proponent of these things. I know people think it infringes on your civil rights but in all honesty I don't believe driving is a right were giving but it's a privilege and I have no problem with having a device being put on all cars to ensure people aren't knowingly or unknowingly driving drunk. 15,000 people are killed every year in the USA from drunk drivers.

Well the dumbasses anyway, but there are normal people who screw up and get DUIs....I'm one of them. I got one when I was 21. I went out with my buddies to a bar to catch a Cardinal Playoff game even though I was battling a bad sinus infection (can't keep a 21 year old from a bar and his buddies I guess). Anyway I had a couple of beers and I was NOT drunk, barely had a buzz.....I wasn't feeling well so I decided to go home. On the way home, I stopped by Taco Hell to grab something to eat and while waiting in line to get my food a huge fight breaks out between a bunch of drunk frat boys in the two cars behind me. The police get there in about 2 minutes and for some reason the Taco Bell lady tells them I was involved even though I haven't said a word to these idiots or left my car. Anyway, long story short cops pulled me out of my car and after discovering that I had nothing to do with the fight started asking me how much I had to drink etc. I ended up blowing a .08 and got a DUI. As much as I drank at the time, I had no idea that I was at a .08....I felt fine and totally coherent. Looking back I wish I had of known my bac was that high. I think a lot of people don't realize how little it takes to get to a .08.

Two years later some :thumbsup: that was over 3 times the legal limit crossed a center line and killed my cousin. He had already had 4 DUIs and all he had gotten was 30 days work release for his last DUI. Douchebag got 4 and half years for killing my cousin and is probably already out of jail. Its people like this that make me such a proponent of these things. I know people think it infringes on your civil rights but in all honesty I don't believe driving is a right were giving but it's a privilege and I have no problem with having a device being put on all cars to ensure people aren't knowingly or unknowingly driving drunk. 15,000 people are killed every year in the USA from drunk drivers.

A friend of mine had one in his car for 2 years for a DUI. I think the device turns off the ignition if you have any alcohol in your blood. For drunk drivers, it is zero tolerance.

It's rather easy for it to activate as just having a piece of cake with a bit of amaretto in it (tiramisu anyone?) or mouthwash can trigger it.

I don't know if it can be adjusted to 0.08 but I don't think it is a perfect device.

A friend of mine had one in his car for 2 years for a DUI. I think the device turns off the ignition if you have any alcohol in your blood. For drunk drivers, it is zero tolerance.

It's rather easy for it to activate as just having a piece of cake with a bit of amaretto in it (tiramisu anyone?) or mouthwash can trigger it.

I don't know if it can be adjusted to 0.08 but I don't think it is a perfect device.

In most places it trips anything over .02 for the current convicted drunk drivers who have them in their cars but they can be adjusted to any level. As far as mouthwash goes, as long as you don't consume the mouthwash the alcohol that remains on one's breath is only there for a matter of minutes. A simple rinse of water is enough to get rid of any "breath alcohol" I'm for putting them in cars and having them set at the current legal limit. I understand KD's concern that the next step would be for pushing them to lower the legal limit untill it's basically one drink, I'm not for that and I understand the concern....guess I just feel differently about the whole situation given what has happened to me and my family.

For everyone? Or just people who have been convicted?

I'm for putting them in all cars. And before you call me a nut, just consider this.....they have other safety devices such as seatbelts, airbags, etc all designed to keep drivers safe....how is the interlock so much different? All the cost from those other technologies were eventually passed down to the consumer and I didn't hear people biitchin about the cost of airbags. Anyway for me, the peace of mind that there aren't a crap load of drunk drivers on the roads with me and family is well worth it.