Ignition locks added to Minn.'s fight against DWIs

Fezmid

The system works so you blow to start, then 5 minutes later, then every half an hour. You wouldn't get very far if somebody started it for you but I guess you could have somebody start it, wait five minutes and blow in it again...then the drunk would have half an hour of driving time. I'm sure the penalties for drunk driving would be increased because you would really have to try pretty hard to beat the system. Its not a perfect system, never said it was but it would save lives.

Do you want to force law abiding citizens to blow into a device to start a car, then blow 5 minutes later, and then blow on every half hour? I don't.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you want to force law abiding citizens to blow into a device to start a car, then blow 5 minutes later, and then blow on every half hour? I don't.

In addition, what happens if you're sober, you start the car, you're driving along, and 30 minutes later you blow again but there's a failure in the system. Does your car stop in the middle of the road...?

In addition, what happens if you're sober, you start the car, you're driving along, and 30 minutes later you blow again but there's a failure in the system. Does your car stop in the middle of the road...?

Stick around...I'm astounded that so many think that it's ok for a government to be their Daddy, and are willing to capitulate their right to be left alone, because of the sins of the few.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,141048,00.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0042904700.html

Stick around...I'm astounded that so many think that it's ok for a government to be their Daddy, and are willing to capitulate their right to be left alone, because of the sins of the few.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,141048,00.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0042904700.html

Agreed.

From the first article:

"In 2001, a Connecticut car rental company began charging renters a $150 fine for speeding in their rental cars, using a GPS-equipped monitoring system."

I'd like to see how you can enforce that. I have a nice Garmin GPS that can keep track of individual trip information for me... But I've noticed that, especially on long trips, if I look to see what my max speed was on the trip, it invariably says something like, "150mph." The data just isn't 100% accurate.

A little of topic, but whoever decided to put the annoying buzzer in cars when you don't buckle your seat belt should suffer a slow painfull death! I can't even drive 15 MPH around my block to a friends house without either fastening my seatbelt or being blasted with a loud, obnoxious tone.

You could always walk...not enough walking in this country. :thumbsup:

I don't think you can disable them, they are tied into the car's computer. And even if you can, it would trip the malfunction light, now you don't pass inspection

When the ABS light is on, all it means is the brakes work normally... No ABS function. Why would that be an inspection issue? What about the people that don't choose that option installed on their car. And ABS light ON is just like a person who choosed not to have the system installed as an option.

They had those in Pennsylvania a long time ago. They dont work. We all took turns blowing in one after a co workers DUI. He has had several versions, and all of them fail. They can be disabled

Chickenwing, there is a sequence of ignition key positions that can turn off the seat belt buzzer.

They had those in Pennsylvania a long time ago. They dont work. We all took turns blowing in one after a co workers DUI. He has had several versions, and all of them fail. They can be disabled

Chickenwing, there is a sequence of ignition key positions that can turn off the seat belt buzzer.

My 2006 Jeep doesn't have the buzzer, the light just goes on. NOw my 2006 Chrysler drives me nuts with it... Do you know the sequence?

Do you want law abiding citizens to be asked for their "papers." AZ is doing it.

:worthy::wallbash:

I am caught in the middle on both issues. On one side there are issues with drunk driving and immigration... On the other, there are the victims (drunk driving fatalities and tax payers in AZ).

What do we do?? Any suggestions?

Disconnect the wire at the seat belt latch.

That Pacifica is strange... It isn't at the latch like most vehicles... It is on the belt end and/or in the seat together with the advanced air bag system?? I can pull the belt out a ways and just hold it on my lap and never buckle it and the light and buzzer go off!!

Do you want law abiding citizens to be asked for their "papers." AZ is doing it.

Did you actually read the AZ law....? Nobody's "asking for your papers." If you're stopped for probable cause, they run your ID to make sure you're a citizen. It's no different than what most states do now. When you're pulled over for speeding or for having a broken tail light, aren't you required to give the officer your driver's license? My wife was driving a few years ago and was pulled over because one of her headlights was out. The officer asked both of us for identification. No different, is it?

I have no problem with the AZ law (enforcing federal law), and most people in AZ don't either. But even if I did, why should other cities/states get to vote on what AZ does? You don't like it, don't move there. I didn't like how WNY was handling their politics, so I moved out. No different. :wallbash:

Regardless of how you feel about the AZ issue, you have to admit that the letter the utility commision sent to LA was fantastic :worthy:

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/051810_arizonapdf.pdf

Did you actually read the AZ law....? Nobody's "asking for your papers." If you're stopped for probable cause, they run your ID to make sure you're a citizen. It's no different than what most states do now. When you're pulled over for speeding or for having a broken tail light, aren't you required to give the officer your driver's license? My wife was driving a few years ago and was pulled over because one of her headlights was out. The officer asked both of us for identification. No different, is it?

I have no problem with the AZ law (enforcing federal law), and most people in AZ don't either. But even if I did, why should other cities/states get to vote on what AZ does? You don't like it, don't move there. I didn't like how WNY was handling their politics, so I moved out. No different. :wallbash:

Regardless of how you feel about the AZ issue, you have to admit that the letter the utility commision sent to LA was fantastic :P

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/051810_arizonapdf.pdf

I hear you Fez... And I agree with you. I got no problem with AZ pushing the issue.