Cushing wins re-vote

Mort declined to vote the second time around because we're too far removed from the season in May? What a kitty. Vote for Maybin but at least cast your vote. It's not taht hard to revisit the season and figure out who you like.

What I don't understand is why the anti-writers campaigns are allowed to go on at all. This is either an anti-writer campaign or an anti-jw campaign. Either way, it's something that would be out of hand even on PPP. Not that jw can't handle it but it really distracts from board, don't laugh, decorum.

I don't hate JW, just his stance on this issue. He doesn't believe the crap coming out of his mouth, he has to be a good little school boy and protect the people he works with.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope everybody understands that most of these players are on some type of steroid. Who knows if Byrd is even on them.

Wow what a stupid comment. What evidence do you have to back this up?

Mort declined to vote the second time around because we're too far removed from the season in May? What a kitty. Vote for Maybin but at least cast your vote. It's not taht hard to revisit the season and figure out who you like.

What I don't understand is why the anti-writers campaigns are allowed to go on at all. This is either an anti-writer campaign or an anti-jw campaign. Either way, it's something that would be out of hand even on PPP. Not that jw can't handle it but it really distracts from board, don't laugh, decorum.

I will agree. Everyone keep in mind that PPP is considered very rude to put it kindly. You might also want to click on mine and John's name to see where we routinely post.

I wasn't going to dive back into the cesspool for a while yet, but ...

The 18 voters who chose Cushing in the revote are certainly open to criticism regardless of their motives. And yes, The AP itself can be questioned for the act of leaving his name on the ballot, even though I'll reiterate that precisely ZERO of their employees have a vote.

That said, ripping Mr. Wawrow -- who, again, has no more of a say in this matter than you or I do -- for their decision is just as idiotic as slamming Tim Graham for the content of ESPN.com's front page was.

The 18 voters who chose Cushing in the revote are certainly open to criticism regardless of their motives. And yes, The AP itself can be questioned for the act of leaving his name on the ballot, even though I'll reiterate that precisely ZERO of their employees have a vote.

That said, ripping Mr. Wawrow -- who, again, has no more of a say in this matter than you or I do -- for their decision is just as idiotic as slamming Tim Graham for the content of ESPN.com's front page was.

I blame you for PPP.

He thinks they were right to leave Cushing eligible for the award. He said it would have unjustly influenced voters.

Here's a blantantly obvious question that I haven't seen anyone ask yet: shouldn't Cushing have been disqualified from the re-vote? I have never seen someone get something taken away from them for cheating and get a second chance at getting it back.

He thinks they were right to leave Cushing eligible for the award. He said it would have unjustly influenced voters.

Did you ever even consider that might be the company line and he has no choice (I am not saying that is the case)? But even if he disagreed with the decision, he couldn't state that publicly.

Here's a blantantly obvious question that I haven't seen anyone ask yet: shouldn't Cushing have been disqualified from the re-vote? I have never seen someone get something taken away from them for cheating and get a second chance at getting it back.

i have been arguing with JW for the past hour about this topic. He says it would have influenced voters unfairly!

Apparently a bunch of the writers had a pretty principled reason for voting for Cushing. They voted against the re-vote, saying there should not have been one. They weren't voting for Cushing at all, they were voting against taking away the award post facto. In fact, that is why Bouchette changed his vote. He still thinks Byrd deserved the award, but he didnt think it was fair to take the award away from Cushing once he had won it. You may not agree with his reasons, but that is a pretty strong and perhaps admirable stance to take.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ot-for-cushing/

You know, correct me if I am wrong, but historically in other venues (like academics) cheating disqualifies you from results gained through dishonest means. And last time I checked, steroids were considered cheating (don't split hairs and tell me it was for HcG, we all know what the fertility drug was used for). So, what grand point were these voters trying to make? That you can't take an award away after it's discovered that someone cheated? Really? That's what they're falling on their sword about. Seriously?

In any other non-bizarro universe cheating trumps winning. You cheat, you sacrifice the win (or award, grade, score, et. al).

Wow what a stupid comment. What evidence do you have to back this up?

I hope you are only kidding.......if not than you are the one that is truly stupid.

I have been around sports and pro athletes most of my life. When the big money is involved most of them have to do so just to be able to compete.

Did you ever even consider that might be the company line and he has no choice (I am not saying that is the case)? But even if he disagreed with the decision, he couldn't state that publicly.

Then don't rip people that believe cheaters shouldn't win awards!

Your wrong, if a writer is deemed to have plagarized, he cannot be awarded the Pulitzer! I has happened in the past.

Really, when?

More specifically, when has a Pulitzer been taken away due to plagiarism?

What are the organization's criteria for a revote?

Then don't rip people that believe cheaters shouldn't win awards!

I am extremely disapointed John. Shame on the AP for voting for a cheater. I will have to explain to my daughter why we don't read the AP, "because they give awards to cheaters".

Your first post in this thread. Post # 52 when it has already been revealed that the AP does not vote. Read the thread before you jump to conclusions. If you got bashed after that, well you deserve it.

Apparently a bunch of the writers had a pretty principled reason for voting for Cushing. They voted against the re-vote, saying there should not have been one. They weren't voting for Cushing at all, they were voting against taking away the award post facto. In fact, that is why Bouchette changed his vote. He still thinks Byrd deserved the award, but he didnt think it was fair to take the award away from Cushing once he had won it. You may not agree with his reasons, but that is a pretty strong and perhaps admirable stance to take.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ot-for-cushing/

Not to detract from the baby seal clubbing, but in my mind, these writers lost any standing to write about personal or professional misconduct of any player in the future.

when dealing with grade schoolers, sometimes you've gotta plunge to their level.

any meaningful conversation you or billsfan=pain were attempting to have was missing the pertinent point that no AP writer was involved in the vote.

however you attempt to backpedal from your original stances which are well-documented, and after billsfan=pain suggested i pump something up someone's behind is interpreted as adult dialogue and/or meaningful is quite beyond me.

jw

jw,

Why does the Twitter feed suck on the espn.go.com/boston site? And what do you think of Jerry Sullivan :D

Not to detract from the baby seal clubbing, but in my mind, these writers lost any standing to write about personal or professional misconduct of any player in the future.

At the very least, their ability to critique people has been hurt. Frankly, while I can see their point (stripping awards) I would have voted differently.

Your first post in this thread. Post # 52 when it has already been revealed that the AP does not vote. Read the thread before you jump to conclusions. If you got bashed after that, well you deserve it.

Then he shouldn't be a journalist. Facts are that the AP decided to revote and allow Cushing to be eligible for the award. Sorry chico, cheaters should not be eligible to win awards when they cheated to get the award.

Ok, I know some of you are slow so I've quoted the appropriate posts to show how dense you are. PLEASE READ ALL OF THE POSTS! ESPECIALLY THE BOLDED PARTS!! IF YOU STILL DON'T GET IT GO BACK AND REREAD THEM AGAIN AND AGAIN UNTIL IT SINKS IN.

People: The Associated Press organizes the vote and tabulates the ballots. The voters are not AP writers. They are writers and broadcasters from other publications who cover the NFL. Let's make this clear.

jw

Yeah the AP now has no credibility in my eyes. Let's re-vote and pick the guy on the jucie again. BS

AP writers didn't vote they only tabulated the votes!! The AP only tabulated the votes from other writers!!!

why: for re-opening the vote to a panel of 50 non-AP journalists, to determine whether Cushing should keep an award after testing positive for a banned substance. and the fact that 18 of those non-AP journalists voted in favor of Cushing somehow casts an ill light on the AP?

so, what you're saying is that the AP should have somehow rigged the vote so that Cushing didn't win. yes, i see the credibility in that.

jw

NOTE: The AP just recently moved a list of the voters and how they voted. For those who care to do a search for it, it's somewhere out there on the intrawebs.

The AP only gives out the ballots and then they tabulate the votes. 'Nuff said.