Nice article on Torrell Troup - Guys mature beyond his years.

Link

Making ends meet was sometimes difficult despite his mother’s best efforts as she held down more than one job to earn enough during most of Torell’s childhood. Seeing his mom working from morning to night to provide the bare essentials, Troup quickly recognized the toll it was taking on her.

“I grew up pretty fast and I knew what she was going through at a young age,” said Troup who by the age of 12 he had a firm grasp of what his mother was up against every day. “My mom had a lot on her shoulders and I did what I could do to take a little pressure off of her just to make her life a little bit easier. She had been doing everything for us so I wanted to do a little something for her.”

Torell did what he could to pitch in on the home front. He cooked meals for his brothers every night, helped them with their homework and did the laundry.

“I’d go grocery shopping, help her pay the bills if she couldn’t get to it, like pay the rent,” said Troup. “Just the normal things.”

Normal, perhaps, for the average American parent, but for a 12-year old boy it was an awful lot of responsibility.

Those efforts did not go unnoticed or unappreciated by his mother. Lashana Johnson to this day expresses her gratitude for her son’s efforts during those years, even though their family unit is whole again with Torell’s father back in the picture for some time now.

:thumbsup:

Looks like he'll want to succeed if only to make her proud.

great story. i hope he succeeds :thumbsup:

I believe that Polian's mantra for drafting is to take self motivated players and not schlubs. I think this alone is why the Bills took Troup over manboobs. Even if you believe manboobs is better coming out of college I'm positive that Troup will have a much better career.

I know Levy said that smart players get better and it seems that Nix is looking, mostly, for smart, mature and self motivated players.

I believe that Polian's mantra for drafting is to take self motivated players and not schlubs. I think this alone is why the Bills took Troup over manboobs. Even if you believe manboobs is better coming out of college I'm positive that Troup will have a much better career.

I know Levy said that smart players get better and it seems that Nix is looking, mostly, for smart, mature and self motivated players.

Troup was on WGR55 radio a few days ago with Howard Simon. He came off as being very humble and mature. He also showed a sense of humor and an ability to communicate very well. He is quite an impressive individual.

Everything I have read about him testifies to the fact that he is a self-motivator. He is a hard worker who needs little oversight to make sure he is doing what he has to do to be prepared. He is the antithesis of the Ravens OT Gaither who was lazy in college and has also demonstrated that he needs to be prodded to do what he should be doing on his own. There are a lot of members who are gushing over the possible acquisition of LT Gaither. That would be a mistake. He is an immature person with a very weak work ethic who needs to be constantly coerced into doing what he should be doing on his own.

Troup was on WGR55 radio a few days ago with Howard Simon. He came off as being very humble and mature. He also showed a sense of humor and an ability to communicate very well. He is quite an impressive individual.

Everything I have read about him testifies to the fact that he is a self-motivator. He is a hard worker who needs little oversight to make sure he is doing what he has to do to be prepared. He is the antithesis of the Ravens OT Gaither who was lazy in college and has also demonstrated that he needs to be prodded to do what he should be doing on his own. There are a lot of members who are gushing over the possible acquisition of LT Gaither. That would be a mistake. He is an immature person with a very weak work ethic who needs to be constantly coerced into doing what he should be doing on his own.

If the Bills get Gaither he will be coming from a situation he may have found embarrassing and he'll hopefully have a chip on his shoulder to prove they made a mistake. JMO

If the Bills get Gaither he will be coming from a situation he may have found embarrassing and he'll hopefully have a chip on his shoulder to prove they made a mistake. JMO

It is my belief that you are who you are. Gaither was removed from a starting position in college because the coach got fed up with his lackadaisical effort. Coach Friedgen at the Univ of Md. publicly criticized him and replaced him as a starter. The coach stated that he would rather play a less talented player who gives maximum effort than a more talented player who gave inadequate effort. The coach further elaborated that he had a responsibility as a HC to do right by the team by rewarding effort and not accepting slothful behavior.

There are rumblings coming out of the Baltimore franchise that Gaither is not a self-motivated person and he has to be constantly pushed. The Ravens' GM is one of the best in the business. If he is willing to dangle a starting LT what does that tell you? When a player who is not known to give a full effort and he is entering his contract year you are taking a major risk to sign him with a very lucrative contract. If there are motivation questions regarding a player entering a free agent year what happens to his motivation level when he already has the contract and is locked in.

Instead of hoping that a player will change his attitude (which rarely happens) go out and get someone who already has the right attitude and work ethic to begin with.

Mel Kiper and Todd McShay didn't have him slotted there. BUST!!!

Seriously, I love hearing stories like stories. Makes you really want to root for the guy. Unfortunately, positive stories don't sell as much as negative ones. This country is messed up.

I swear some of you have to literally think and then write out what you're attempting to articulate, about 100 times before you actually write it.......WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS MEAN?

I swear some of you have to literally think and then write out what you're attempting to articulate, about 100 times before you actually write it.......WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS MEAN?

Gaither lost his LT spot after a very solid year and probably will have a chip on his shoulder to prove himself as a top LT. Was that really that hard or were you just being a douche?

It is my belief that you are who you are. Gaither was removed from a starting position in college because the coach got fed up with his lackadaisical effort. Coach Friedgen at the Univ of Md. publicly criticized him and replaced him as a starter. The coach stated that he would rather play a less talented player who gives maximum effort than a more talented player who gave inadequate effort. The coach further elaborated that he had a responsibility as a HC to do right by the team by rewarding effort and not accepting slothful behavior.

There are rumblings coming out of the Baltimore franchise that Gaither is not a self-motivated person and he has to be constantly pushed. The Ravens' GM is one of the best in the business. If he is willing to dangle a starting LT what does that tell you? When a player who is not known to give a full effort and he is entering his contract year you are taking a major risk to sign him with a very lucrative contract. If there are motivation questions regarding a player entering a free agent year what happens to his motivation level when he already has the contract and is locked in.

Instead of hoping that a player will change his attitude (which rarely happens) go out and get someone who already has the right attitude and work ethic to begin with.

What it tells me is that he sees the huge money train sending all of his cash to pay two top five caliber starting LTs the money necessary to keep them and he better move one while he can. Gaither has no value to the Ravens after next season and OZ knows it. He'll be a URFA next year and Baltimore gets nothing.

As for Friedgen, I don't know that I'd call him the greatest judge of motivational talent. Either way, the fact remains, Buffalo needs an upgrade at LT. Gaither is in an embarassing situation and will likely have something to prove wherever he goes. Gaither at 50% effort is better than what we have now. And if he wasn't giving his full effort for the 11 starts he played in last year, accumulating the stats that he did, I'd hate to see what the guy could do when he gave his full effort, because he was scary good when he was healthy. Flacco almost never had rushers from that side and was comfortable in the pocket because Gaither, then Oher, made him feel that way. Don't see your logic there. People say things about players that they want gone, or that want out of a situation. Its human nature. Take what you "hear" with a grain of salt. I know what I've seen out of Gaither on the television in the games I've seen the Ravens play. To quote Rick Jeanerette, he's "scary good."

Well, you went ahead and posted an opinion that was bound to be unpopular here. Good for you that you had an informed view of the Gaither history and let us know. Thanks.

Personally I'm giddy like most of the posters here about the prospects of landing Gaither.

But I hear where you're coming from. I forgot who said it, but a respected football figure in speaking of JaMarcus Russell recently said something to the effect,

"If a guy was lazy before he had truly established himself as a legitimate player, wadya think's gonna happen after you give him $40 million?"

So I'm wary of Gaither's reputation and the possible downside to trading for him.

I can't predict what will happen if the Bills give him a big extension.

It is my hope, not my opinion, that he will play with a chip on his shoulder.

But if he busts or underperforms, we will have been warned by you well ahead of time.

As for Friedgen, I don't know that I'd call him the greatest judge of motivational talent. Either way, the fact remains, Buffalo needs an upgrade at LT. Gaither is in an embarassing situation and will likely have something to prove wherever he goes. Gaither at 50% effort is better than what we have now. And if he wasn't giving his full effort for the 11 starts he played in last year, accumulating the stats that he did, I'd hate to see what the guy could do when he gave his full effort, because he was scary good when he was healthy. Flacco almost never had rushers from that side and was comfortable in the pocket because Gaither, then Oher, made him feel that way. Don't see your logic there. People say things about players that they want gone, or that want out of a situation. Its human nature. Take what you "hear" with a grain of salt. I know what I've seen out of Gaither on the television in the games I've seen the Ravens play. To quote Rick Jeanerette, he's "scary good."

Friedgen was Gaither's coach in college. If there was anyone who is aware of how Gaither prepares and works it is his college coach. Gaither was taken out of a starting position and replaced because his work habits were lacking. There have been repeated comments coming out of Baltimore that Gaither as a pro is not a workhorse, to put it mildly.

No one is arguing that the Bills don't have a desperate need for an upgrade at LT. That is brutally obvious. I'm not even suggesting that Gaither wouldn't be an upgrade than what we presently have. Almost any mediocre LT brought in is an upgrade. My basic point is that the physically talented Gaither is known for his immaturity and laziness. Providing that type of player with a premium contract is very unlikely to change him and his unimpressive work habits.

Would I give up a second round pick for Gaither? No. Would I give him a premium contract to secure the deal? I wouldn't. If he can be acquired for a third round or lower pick and a mid-level starting LT contract then it would seem to be a reasonable deal.

As I stated in a prior posting: you get what you get. Expecting a player to change from what he is and has been just because he is in another location is wishful thinking.

I cannot agree with you more. It seems Nix is spending draft picks on players with strong work ethics who are self motivated. These are the types of players that a strong foundation is built upon. If Gaither is really the self motivated sloth (no matter how physically talented he is) that we've heard, then he has no place in the Bills organization. I really hope Nix isn't after such a lazy bum. Maybe i'm wrong about Gaither's work ethic. But from what i've read on here it's not something to be proud of. I'de always go with an individual who always puts in all his effort instead of one who puts in half hearted work. I hope Nix stays consistent and sticks with hard workers who dont' need prodding. Our starting O-line is built on strong willed self motivated players (yes for the most part inexperienced) but still. How would they gel with such a sloth as Gaither? If Nix really is after Gaither, then i'm hoping he sees something in this player's character that I don't. Maybe Nix has the patent to the ultimate cattle prod.

I want our team to win and dominate with work ethic and honor. And i don't see any honor in a sloth. If we get Gaither I seriously hope he proves me wrong. I would hope he proves me wrong.

Go Bills!!!

Well, you went ahead and posted an opinion that was bound to be unpopular here. Good for you that you had an informed view of the Gaither history and let us know. Thanks.

Personally I'm giddy like most of the posters here about the prospects of landing Gaither.

But I hear where you're coming from. I forgot who said it, but a respected football figure in speaking of JaMarcus Russell recently said something to the effect,

"If a guy was lazy before he had truly established himself as a legitimate player, wadya think's gonna happen after you give him $40 million?"

So I'm wary of Gaither's reputation and the possible downside to trading for him.

I can't predict what will happen if the Bills give him a big extension.

It is my hope, not my opinion, that he will play with a chip on his shoulder.

But if he busts or underperforms, we will have been warned by you well ahead of time.

It is my strong belief that motivation is an internal mechanism. There are people who have a passion for what they do and there are people who don't have passion for what they do. Football is a very brutal profession which requires a tremendous amount of preparation, both physical and mental. If someone has questionable work habits when he is trying to earn a lucrative contact what is going to happen when that person has the security of a very rich and long term contract? Is that person going to be more motivated after he has already been given the money? I doubt it.

I am not making the claim that Gaithers is going to be a JaMarcuss Russell type of slackard. I'm not making the claim that he has the same level of disinterest in his profession like the out in the street Russell. But what I'm very confident in saying that if the Bills give up a high draft pick, second round, and give him a rich contract, they are taking a very big risk.

There are a lot of people on this board who have a very selective memory. Many posters here were very critical of Jason Peters when he didn't work out with the team when he was trying to get an upgraded contract. Well, Jared Gaither stayed away from Baltimore's training center, although he lived nearby in Maryland, because he was trying to apply pressure for a new contract. Maybe being diligent in his workouts at the team facility would have impressed the organization more to be more willing to offer him a new contract.

The Nix/Gaily tandem are starting fresh. They need to re-work this roster so that it is full of work horses and devoid of show ponies. Many posters are acting as if Gaither is an all-star. He isn't. When you get a slackard you get a slackard. You don't get what you want a player to be; you get what a player really is.

Nix is drafting guys who won't fail because of motivation, work ethic, or off the field demons. Troup might be a bust however he isn't going to be a bust because he ate himself out of the league. Same goes for a guys like Spiller Carrington Easley and Wang. We drafted a bunch of guys who mean business.

Not that we had a locker room full of guys who were lazy malcontents BUT we are continuing to build a culture of high character players who are motivated. All in all I like Troup the guy has talent and works hard. I still take Terrance Cody if my finger was on the button however I am rooting hard for Troup because 1- We drafted him and 2- he does it the right way.

It makes more sense than that suit.