OT-Who is the best American actress?

ATBNG

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

See - I think Julia Roberts is atrocious as an actress. I didn't see "Erin Brockovich" but everything else I have seen her in (Pelican Brief, Ocean's 11, Pretty Woman, Mystic Pizza) she has been decidedly underwhelming.

139685[/snapback]

Erin Brockovich was awful...a movie about bitching at EVERYTHING and mostly disrespecting professionals...not oscar worthy...then again, i felt alot of performances weren't oscar worthy but the stupid academy awards is one big sham and jerkoff fest

Erin Brockovich was awful...a movie about bitching at EVERYTHING and mostly disrespecting professionals...not oscar worthy...then again, i felt alot of performances weren't oscar worthy but the stupid academy awards is one big sham and jerkoff fest

139903[/snapback]

Totally political decision to vote Roberts an Oscar for that film, she was not very good in it and years from now when her film work is mentioned, they will talk about Pretty Woman and not about Erin Brockovich....

I'd say Jane Fonda,

but I don't want to get the assclowns excited.

:doh:  ;)  :lol:

139758[/snapback]

I am sure you were joking, but Jane Fonda, no matter how you feel about her politics, is one of the greatest actresses ever! Definitely a top 5-10! But, I know she is not current, so I will have to say either Julianne Moore, or Gwyneth Paltrow. I will give Moore a slight edge, becuase she has picked much better roles for herself. Gwyneth is a fine actress, but since winning an Oscar, has been in mainly awful mainstream fair. It happens to most Oscar winners.

Guest Guest_Joe Fergy_*
Why has nobody mentioned Julia Roberts?

139594[/snapback]

I was reading all these post and was thinking the same thing. I agree

I am sure you were joking, but Jane Fonda, no matter how you feel about her politics, is one of the greatest actresses ever!  Definitely a top 5-10!  But, I know she is not current, so I will have to say either Julianne Moore, or Gwyneth Paltrow.  I will give Moore a slight edge, becuase she has picked much better roles for herself.  Gwyneth is a fine actress, but since winning an Oscar, has been in mainly awful mainstream fair.  It happens to most Oscar winners.

139944[/snapback]

This is not politically motivated, but, Jane Fonda???? top 5 or 10???

you must be thinking of Bridget Fonda or Henry Fonda or Willy Wonka. This woman could not act the part of the dandelion in a kindergarten skit.

you must be thinking of Bridget Fonda or Henry Fonda or Willy Wonka. This woman could not act the part of the dandelion in a kindergarten skit.

139976[/snapback]

I disagree.

I can think of a few roles she's had that were great, including Klute, Barefoot in the Park, and 9 to 5.

Guest Guest_ATBNG_*
Sorry I was thinking of best actresses, forgot it was limited to Americans...my bad

139890[/snapback]

It's not limited to Americans. :doh:

139976[/snapback]

uuhh, okay...I guess you haven't really seen any of her films if you think "she could not act the part of the dandelion in a kindergarten skit." On what merit do you judge her acting ability? I know it is popular to hate her, but the woman is a fine actress. She won Oscars when they still meant something, during the best era of American films (the 70's).

uuhh, okay...I guess you haven't really seen any of her films if you think "she could not act the part of the dandelion in a kindergarten skit."  On what merit do you judge her acting ability?  I know it is popular to hate her, but the woman is a fine actress.  She won Oscars when they still meant something, during the best era of American films (the 70's).

140080[/snapback]

ummm, Barbarella...her "exposure" gets a 10 her acting was heinous.

On Golden Pond she was on screen with Kathryn Hepburn and Henry Fonda, 2 greats,

she couldn't have paled more in comparison...the little blond kid was far better

Didn't see Klute or Barefoot in the Park, but her role in 9-5 was very narrowly fixed and very forgettable.

Not a top 5, 10 or 20 in my humble opinion

140141[/snapback]

Not ummm, MMMMMMMM! :doh:

Check out Coming Home, she's also very good in that one...

didn't care too much for Julia though

(the movie, not Roberts ;) )ZZZZZZZZ

On Golden Pond  she was on screen with Kathryn Hepburn and Henry Fonda, 2 greats,

she couldn't have paled more in comparison...the little blond kid was far better

Didn't see Klute or Barefoot in the Park, but her role in 9-5 was very narrowly fixed and very forgettable.

Not a top 5, 10 or 20 in my humble opinion

140141[/snapback]

Okay. As long as it is a humble opinion, and not an educated one..."Barbarella" might have gone right over your head! Check out "Klute" (nominated for best actress, great film as well) and "They Shoot Horses Don't They" (nominated and won best actress award, one of the greatest American films, ever!). Funny that you pick one of her minor films ("9 to 5") and say she was "narrowly fixed" (whatever that means), and then insinuate that she paled on the screen next to her father, and Kathryn Hepburn. Both Hepburn and Henry Fonda were playing very stereotyped crumrudgens, and was neither of their finest roles. Henry was in the early stages on alzheimers at the time. It was Fonda (Jane) who made this otherwise schmaltzy movie so memorable.