Stubborn Sports Fans

LGB

Colin Cowherd on ESPN radio mentioned a list of the top 10 stubborn sports fans on askmen.com. The Cleveland Brown's fans were listed as the number one most stubborn. Cowherd mentioned that teams that have an active and opinionated fan base like NYC generally field winning teams like the Yankees. He said teams that fill the stadium, don't criticize and buy all the team gear in support of a sub-par performing team are just enabling bad performances (marketing sheep for slaughter). I was half expecting to see the Buffalo Bill's fans on the list because of our 10 year stellar attendance record in support of a 66-94 record with no playoffs during that time, but going to Bills games isn't always about winning or we would not have had as many sell-outs during this time and most fans probably do not mind being called "stubborn".

"Sports fans have a unique sense of loyalty, especially when that loyalty is misplaced on an undeserving team. If you're a fan of one of these teams, you're stubborn.

Loyalty is important in marriages and mafia. For sports fans, it’s a weakness.

Many enthusiasts are committed to their team come hell or high water, but their teams don’t reciprocate. Instead, fans are left cheering for colors, mascots and memories instead of a successful on-field winning product.

While some front offices are to blame, fans who blindly cheer for their team regardless of their attempts to win a championships or not are simply stubborn."

Colin Cowherd on ESPN radio mentioned a list of the top 10 stubborn sports fans on askmen.com. The Cleveland Browns were listed as the number one most stubborn. Cowherd mentioned that teams that have an active and opinionated fan base like NYC generally field winning teams like the Yankees. He said teams that fill the stadium, don't criticize and buy all the team gear in support of a sub-par performing team are just enabling bad performances (marketing sheep for slaughter). I was half expecting to see the Buffalo Bill's fans on the list because of our 10 year stellar attendance record in support of a 66-94 record with no playoffs during that time, but going to Bills games isn't always about winning or we would not have had as many sell-outs during this time and most fans probably do not mind being called "stubborn".

"Sports fans have a unique sense of loyalty, especially when that loyalty is misplaced on an undeserving team. If you're a fan of one of these teams, you're stubborn.

Many enthusiasts are committed to their team come hell or high water, but their teams don’t reciprocate. Instead, fans are left cheering for colors, mascots and memories instead of a successful on-field winning product.

While some front offices are to blame, fans who blindly cheer for their team regardless of their attempts to win a championships or not are simply stubborn."

Let me state first, Colin Cowherd is a major-league, grade A, jerk...

That being said, there is some merit to this, and it is something many here have been saying for some time. Your post will most likely be met with a lot of negative retorts.

I love the Bills, even though I loathe the state of this franchise right now. I think that Bills fans, overall, have been given very little to cheer for, for the better part of the teams existence.

The best thing about the Bills, are Bills fans, even the a-holes in the crowd. Just imagine how amazing it would be, if the owner was as devoted to the team, as the fans were...

This is ridiculous. Is your reason to be a sports fan to always cheer for the winner? Not me. I cheer for my team. Period. Someday they'll win it all and if I'm still around it will be awesome. But you know what? Each time we win a game, it's AWESOME !! If that's stubborn, so be it. To each his/her own.

Colin Cowherd on ESPN radio mentioned a list of the top 10 stubborn sports fans on askmen.com. The Cleveland Browns were listed as the number one most stubborn. Cowherd mentioned that teams that have an active and opinionated fan base like NYC generally field winning teams like the Yankees. He said teams that fill the stadium, don't criticize and buy all the team gear in support of a sub-par performing team are just enabling bad performances (marketing sheep for slaughter). I was half expecting to see the Buffalo Bill's fans on the list because of our 10 year stellar attendance record in support of a 66-94 record with no playoffs during that time, but going to Bills games isn't always about winning or we would not have had as many sell-outs during this time and most fans probably do not mind being called "stubborn".

Wow. That just made me feel sad. :wallbash: and its my birthday.

This is ridiculous. Is your reason to be a sports fan to always cheer for the winner? Not me. I cheer for my team. Period. Someday they'll win it all and if I'm still around it will be awesome. But you know what? Each time we win a game, it's AWESOME !! If that's stubborn, so be it. To each his/her own.

I agree. While losing so much all these years really sucks, it will make an eventual championship that much sweeter. My only concern is that when it does happen, fans will react like they did in Detroit in 1984 when the Tigers won the World Series -- they damned near burned the city down. Police will need to be out in large numbers the day the Bills win the Super Bowl or else the city might be burned to the ground by knuckleheads.

I'm with you there. I agree to some extent to what CC is saying, but I am not going to start bandwagon jumping to the flavor of the week year after year. How hard is it to root for the team that is winning. Not very hard at all.

I like Cowherd and TG, too bad we won't find either of them on this board in the future.

But at any rate, I think the point Cowherd was really trying to make is that when our team loses, we shouldn't let it ruin our weekend, week, life, etc. I know a lot of fans who let their passion for their team actually interfere with their personal lives.

Simple as that.

(BTW, isn't it funny when fans say "WE" won, after their team wins, but say "THEY" lost, after a loss?)

Not long ago the Saints fan base would've been at or near the top of this list, for just accepting mediocrity.

Buying a Bills t-shirt after a 5-11 season doesn't make me a "sheep." It means I like the Bills.

Nobody likes losing. The front office doesn't like it, the players don't like it, and certainly the fans don't like it. But it doesn't mean that I don't look forward to the next Sunday in September, having a few cocktails and a burger in the parking lot with my six friends and my brother, and then sitting 22 rows from a professional football game. If I worried about my team being "championship caliber" before I deemed that they were worthy of my support, I would've missed out on a lot of great games and even more great times.

People who watch sports for some sort of redemption of their own personal value are really missing the big picture. Watch for entertainment, and HOPE your team wins a championship. It's a difficult task and will feel GREAT if they pull it off. But it doesn't really change anything. Ask the people in the Lower Ninth Ward how that Super Bowl has worked out for them.

Cowherd mentioned that teams that have an active and opinionated fan base like NYC generally field winning teams like the Yankees. He said teams that fill the stadium, don't criticize and buy all the team gear in support of a sub-par performing team are just enabling bad performances (marketing sheep for slaughter).

This is why Cowherd sucks. He cites NYC and the Yankees, which is a franchise that should be left out of ANY comparison. They are a financial anomaly. Yet he conveniently forgets the SAME market, the Knicks, Rangers, and Jets, who consistently fill the stadium and buy all the team gear, and yet have a total of three championships over 150+ combined seasons. It's only Yankees fans in NYC who "demand" a championship??? Please. The dude is a stiff.

I cheer for the laundry. Until they move or fold, I'll root for them regardless of who owns/coaches/plays for the team. This is one of the few areas of my life where logical reasoning doesn't dictate my actions.

Not long ago the Saints fan base would've been at or near the top of this list, for just accepting mediocrity.

Buying a Bills t-shirt after a 5-11 season doesn't make me a "sheep." It means I like the Bills.

Nobody likes losing. The front office doesn't like it, the players don't like it, and certainly the fans don't like it. But it doesn't mean that I don't look forward to the next Sunday in September, having a few cocktails and a burger in the parking lot with my six friends and my brother, and then sitting 22 rows from a professional football game. If I worried about my team being "championship caliber" before I deemed that they were worthy of my support, I would've missed out on a lot of great games and even more great times.

People who watch sports for some sort of redemption of their own personal value are really missing the big picture. Watch for entertainment, and HOPE your team wins a championship. It's a difficult task and will feel GREAT if they pull it off. But it doesn't really change anything. Ask the people in the Lower Ninth Ward how that Super Bowl has worked out for them.

This is why Cowherd sucks. He cites NYC and the Yankees, which is a franchise that should be left out of ANY comparison. They are a financial anomaly. Yet he conveniently forgets the SAME market, the Knicks, Rangers, and Jets, who consistently fill the stadium and buy all the team gear, and yet have a total of three championships over 150+ combined seasons. It's only Yankees fans in NYC who "demand" a championship??? Please. The dude is a stiff.

Some fans who have witnessed NFL playoffs in WNY would like to see the next generation join in on the fun, so the last 10 years have been difficult.

Cowherd seems filled with himself at times, but covers a lot of football.

There is not much down in the lower ninth ward anymore...whole neighborhoods gone and until they fix the levee system or build up the ground level there, moving back in might not be such a good idea.