Thanks Leonidas

Why do you pretend that they're special people? If I were to post my website on here, and someone would take a shot at me, that would be perfectly fine... but if criticism gets to one of you "journalists" its unquestionably taboo? Really? This is a forum.

At first I appreciated TG for having the courage to come here and give insight, but his ego got in the way. That's what it comes down to. And don't pretend it's not ego. He got offended, and couldn't take the fact that people are jerks and insulted him. That's weak and sad.

If you can't take criticism without being offended you don't deserve your alleged high position in life (not that I feel like any of you "journalists are half as elite as you pretend).

I'm replying to you, but this goes out to anyone here, really: if you didn't like what Tim wrote or said, why not just stop reading him? Why attack him or ESPN or whatever? Some of us on here appreciated having him around, answering questions, etc. If others didn't like it, they didn't have to read it! You're !@#$ing children. Can't have nice china in the house.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you pretend that they're special people? If I were to post my website on here, and someone would take a shot at me, that would be perfectly fine... but if criticism gets to one of you "journalists" its unquestionably taboo? Really? This is a forum.

At first I appreciated TG for having the courage to come here and give insight, but his ego got in the way. That's what it comes down to. And don't pretend it's not ego. He got offended, and couldn't take the fact that people are jerks and insulted him. That's weak and sad.

If you can't take criticism without being offended you don't deserve your alleged high position in life (not that I feel like any of you "journalists are half as elite as you pretend).

OH snap!

It was not for you to violate the rules and express your opinion, bro. It was a forum to ask questions, plain and simple. I know you understand this by now. You're just being obstinate and defensive at this point because it's easier and comes more naturally to you than doing the right thing.

i think he did ask a question 1. was to ask somebody over at espn to stfu, and i believe he may have asked him to let espn know that markets outside of ny, boston, and miami or whatever city feel left out, and dont care for their garbage

Valid criticism. Guess I missed that one. Edited. Been a busy 24 hours or so, between deadline and this.

And don't be afraid to use the report button.

Hey, that was not meant sound like criticism, just a suggestion.

Good point point about the report button, didn't even think of that.

i understand your point of view, murra. and i don't consider myself special. in fact, i don't want to be treated with kid gloves. that takes away from the free flow of information.

my problem, however, is when i write something that's based in fact or based on my observations, such as what i wrote about Mr. Wilson, and am then challenged about them to the point where i'm called a clown or an idiot, well that's a little too much, don't you think?

and shouldn't that apply to all posters, too?

it's not criticism, per se, it's some (a very few) posters' desire to have at it without regard to decorum or respect, or to push buttons by ripping friends and colleagues. if i allow that to happen to my friends and colleagues without any type of response, then it could be regarded as me agreeing with what those posters have written.

respectfully,

jw

The owner of the website established the policy, not me, although I agree with it. Why? Because both of them came here as a favor to us. They didn't need to do that.

And if you'd bothered to read what Tim wrote, he walked away because he got sick of people taking shots at his friends, not himself.

elite, yeah, like that's a bad thing. A handful of people who dedicate their lives to the study, analysis, and documentation of the thing that we obsess over enough to come to this site? let's piss on that. informed opinion is for east coast ivory tower jackoffs. How dare people be good/respected at their chosen professions? How dare those who donate their professional services for no charge not want to subject themselves to constant abuse from a litany of jealous and irrational lunkheads?

elite, yeah, like that's a bad thing. A handful of people who dedicate their lives to the study, analysis, and documentation of the thing that we obsess over enough to come to this site? let's piss on that. informed opinion is for east coast ivory tower jackoffs. How dare people be good/respected at their chosen professions? How dare those who donate their professional services for no charge not want to subject themselves to constant abuse from a litany of jealous and irrational lunkheads?

Are you saying there are no west coast ivory tower jackoffs? :P

(not that I feel like any of you "journalists are half as elite as you pretend).

Maybe not elite, but Both JW an TG bring something to this board that the average poster can not..

First hand knowledge!!!

We can not ask the stars of our team questions face to face and can not sit in the press room and ask Ralph, Buddy, or Chan questions. They are a great resource to this board and people should appreciate the participation that they offer here. And they got to that posistion from hard work, much like the rest of us ho have suceeded in our respected feilds.

just my opinion....

Oh cmon, posters on the board are all just as intelligent if not more so than people who work in the business...just ask them :P

Truthfully, the board has really gone downhill the past few seasons and I don't see it getting any better as the castoffs from other message board begin to settle in here.

There is a huge difference between your website and espn.com. Your website would be owned by you and you have to answer to you alone. Espn is a milliondollar company owned by disney which is a billion dollar company. If you are going to give criticism to tim's work, that is one thing. But if you want to give criticism to tim on a website layout which he has no control over, then that is just silly and you are wasting breath. And then if you ask him why people he works with are "idiots" or whatever, that is just a terrible position to put him in. That is just as stupid as asking someone why their mother is a slut and then saying "what? you can handle I am insulting your mom? man, if you can't take this.... "criticism" then you are unprofessional and you don't deserve your high position in life!"

I mean, come on man. Some of you can call it "criticism" all you want. But what it really was that it was making a big deal about a tiny little box that wasn't on ESPN's main page (like leonidas said and it was so he was basically wrong there killing his cred on his ..."criticism" as you call it.) and insults (not criticism) being made of people tim worked with and put him in a position to critique them.

I hope you are being sarcastic.

The owner of the website established the policy, not me, although I agree with it. Why? Because both of them came here as a favor to us. They didn't need to do that.

And if you'd bothered to read what Tim wrote, he walked away because he got sick of people taking shots at his friends, not himself.

Then ban the offenders.

In before this whole topic gets boring and becomes like beating a dead horse, regardless of your position.

...ohhhh, too late. :P

jk, for those who, for some reason, are going to get offended.

Never let a good crisis go to waste. Let the banning begin.

There is a huge difference between your website and espn.com. Your website would be owned by you and you have to answer to you alone. Espn is a milliondollar company owned by disney which is a billion dollar company. If you are going to give criticism to tim's work, that is one thing. But if you want to give criticism to tim on a website layout which he has no control over, then that is just silly and you are wasting breath. And then if you ask him why people he works with are "idiots" or whatever, that is just a terrible position to put him in. That is just as stupid as asking someone why their mother is a slut and then saying "what? you can handle I am insulting your mom? man, if you can't take this.... "criticism" then you are unprofessional and you don't deserve your high position in life!"

I mean, come on man. Some of you can call it "criticism" all you want. But what it really was that it was making a big deal about a tiny little box that wasn't on ESPN's main page (like leonidas said and it was so he was basically wrong there killing his cred on his ..."criticism" as you call it.) and insults (not criticism) being made of people tim worked with and put him in a position to critique them.

I realize you were trying to get worked up...but you really didn't make a point here. I realize that if I had a website it wouldn't be on par with ESPN. I'm not sure what that has to do with me saying that if you're a supposed upper-class member of the boards because you're a journalist, you should be able to ignore people who post things you don't like.

Is the pitty party over yet? :P

:P

No its not. And I'm sure that people will cite back to this as one of the defining moments of TBD going downhill.

Personally I never clicked on the Tim Graham thread.

Oh cmon, posters on the board are all just as intelligent if not more so than people who work in the business...just ask them :P

Truthfully, the board has really gone downhill the past few seasons and I don't see it getting any better as the castoffs from other message board begin to settle in here.

intelligence? oh sure. but they also have access. Wawrow speaking with Edwards allows him to make points that deserve to be heard. Now in my areas I'm a smart dude. I've published, I've presented at academic conferences, you want to talk music or movies? come to me. But I don't talk to the Bills. My information, like 99.9% of this board, comes from drunkenly yelling at my TV while sitting comfortably in my recliner. On top of everything else (TOS, common courtesy, etc) the fact they have access to something we do not needs to be respected. If nothing else it makes no sense to chase off the people who are honestly plugged it out of petty nonsense.

And not to offend anyone, but saying the word "elite" as a negative (esp in terms of a sportswriter of all things) just makes one an ignorant retard. being brilliant is something to aspire to, not to be harassed for. Keeps us, as a whole, crippled by mediocrity.

Explain please.

Let me try for him...

I'm a giant !@#$ and I can't express my douchebaggery in my daily, "real" life because there are consequences to my actions, and I'm probably a giant kitty. So, I come to a place where I can say whatever I want anonymously and without consequence. Even though this place is provided to me for free, I enjoy anonymously hurling insults at the kind people who run this free service. I know I don't have to come here because no one is forcing me to, and I realize there are much more appropriate, civil ways to lobby complaints that will be more likely in bringing about my desired results. However, I just plain enjoy being an !@#$ to others on this board because there are no real world consequences to my actions.