Restaurants

you said before that to do fresh cut fries right you would par cook them right?

so what happen when you run out? speed prep, without the par cook

the result, inconsistent food quality, its not as much about laziness as it is consistency.

Don't run out!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather have a prep guy helping me with something other that cutting, blanching and storing french fries all day.

Can't you pay some kid $6.00/hr and make it his job?

EDIT: and I am just asking as some guy who has never worked in a restaurant kitchen, not trying to be a smart ass.

Don't run out!

easier said than done, too many prepped fries=wasted product=high food cost= km loses $$/bonus,

for most high volume places, it's not practical

frozen fries, which are one of the few frozen items that are permissable IMO, are most cost effective, and the customers very rarely know the difference

easier said than done, too many prepped fries=wasted product=high food cost= km loses $$/bonus,

for most high volume places, it's not practical

frozen fries, which are one of the few frozen items that are permissable IMO, are most cost effective, and the customers very rarely know the difference

I can see your point for sure, but I think there is a reason people flock to these chip stands (at least where I am from) because the use fresh cut fries.

you said before that to do fresh cut fries right you would par cook them right?

so what happen when you run out? speed prep, without the par cook

the result, inconsistent food quality, its not as much about laziness as it is consistency.

You have a couple of choices.

Over prepare. That's my preferred method. The par-fried potatoes can be finished the next day, or used for something else.

Start re-preparing when you start to get low. If you run out, you are an idiot. It's like a bar running out of vodka. And any mook can cut and par-cook fries. You don't need anyone particularly skilled for the job. As I said, they do it at some fast food joints.

Can't you pay some kid $6.00/hr and make it his job?

EDIT: and I am just asking as some guy who has never worked in a restaurant kitchen, not trying to be a smart ass.

thats not something you typically want to waste labor cost on, if a restaurant is going thru the trouble of fresh cutting fries that probably means they do tons of other things, more important things, fresh every day

thats not something you typically want to waste labor cost on, if a restaurant is going thru the trouble of fresh cutting fries that probably means they do tons of other things, more important things, fresh every day

So, you aren't disputing the quality or the work. NOW it is about cost.

I thought this was a conversation about quality.

Carry on.

It's been a while since we had a potatoe war here.

I'm hoping that my spelling of potatoe starts a side skirmish, with the attendant VP Quale attacks.

:thumbsup:

:nana: What is this???

:D

Over prepare. That's my preferred method. The par-fried potatoes can be finished the next day, or used for something else.

Start re-preparing when you start to get low. If you run out, you are an idiot. It's like a bar running out of vodka. And any mook can cut and par-cook fries. You don't need anyone particularly skilled for the job. As I said, they do it at some fast food joints.

its a matter of volume, a fast food joint is smaller, lower volume in bursts

a large full service restaurant is a different animal, its trickier, can be done, but tricky

i myself worked at such a place where we had fresh fries and fresh sweet potatoes chips, it sucked, and I wasnt even a kitchen worker.

So, you aren't disputing the quality or the work. NOW it is about cost.

I thought this was a conversation about quality.

Carry on.

its all part of the game, quality, cost, profit, as a manager you have to keep track of all that stuff, and make the best decisions possible.

Then what the hell were you doing talking about restaurants that make their own meatballs, raviolis and gnocchis having better food?

Well, they have better meatballs, ravioli and gnocchi. And those are the restaurants that typically buy better veal, pound it properly, make all their sauces fresh, toss the pasta, etc. So, yes, the restaurants that go out of their way to make these things themselves tend to have better food. Why is that so hard to understand?

You are not getting my point - at all. To simply say that that it is a colloquialism does not mean that it is a correct way to deal with the public. I recall several of them..."A !@#$ in the woodpile" comes to mind.

It is rude and presumptuous. "De nada" has a certain affection to it. "No problem" comes across as dismissive. That it's common usage today is sad.

I feel like LeviF91's avatar here but here goes:

I understand your point Cincy, I just disagree with it. You are upset a colloquial phrase has come to mean what it means, and you choose to take it out on some poor girl who is just trying to tell you she's going to do what you asked of her.

Well, they have better meatballs, ravioli and gnocchi. And those are the restaurants that typically buy better veal, pound it properly, make all their sauces fresh, toss the pasta, etc. So, yes, the restaurants that go out of their way to make these things themselves tend to have better food. Why is that so hard to understand?

Because by putting that in the same post as fresh fries are better than frozen your isinuating that restaurants that use fresh fries instead of frozen serve better food.

So you're going to have a frier set aside to par cook the fries during the rush? Trust me man, it ain't worth it.