Restaurants

To be unfair, you've cherry-picked one phrase amongst my posts.

I realize that the phrase "No Problem" is common speech.

But understand what it implies. Namely, that the server is saying that "Oh, OK customer - I absolve you - the paying customer, of any feelings you may have about upsetting me."

It is completely backwards. It's rude, presumptuous, and has no place in proper service. A proper response to a request by a customer is "Yes, Sir, or Yes Ma'am, I'll take care of it." Not a flippant "no problem!" utterance.

SIC, it is neither rude nor presumptuous. It is a colloquialism. You getting upset over it is as ridiculous as a radio talk show host getting upset at every caller starting his call with "hey how you doing?". It's just a way to say "Hello". The Spanish answer "thank you" with "de nada" which literally means "it's nothing". That doesn't mean you should say "Did you think it would be something?" It's a way of saying "think nothing of it", nothing more - but I'm sure you know that when you're not purposely taking things too literally.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SIC, it is neither rude nor presumptuous. It is a colloquialism. You getting upset over it is as ridiculous as a radio talk show host getting upset at every caller starting his call with "hey how you doing?". It's just a way to say "Hello". The Spanish answer "thank you" with "de nada" which literally means "it's nothing". That doesn't mean you should say "Did you think it would be something?" It's a way of saying "think nothing of it", nothing more - but I'm sure you know that when you're not purposely taking things too literally.

Incredible that such a painfully obvious point was necessary. It's a more informal way of "you're welcome" - that's it. If you really want to get into the poor man's Seinfeld "literal observations" - you're the almighty "paying customer" then why are you saying Thank you in the first place? Waiter is just doing his job afterall.

Not to mention he is very likely FOS that he actually says "Did you expect a problem" irl; but it makes for a cool story I guess.

You ever work in a kitchen?

Yes

I agree with everything you say.

I'd be careful of making statements like that, if I were you.

I have some carbon marks above my fuel cap and on my fender, what do you think it could be? :nana:

fuel injector problem?

Awww, come on, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

You are not getting my point - at all. To simply say that that it is a colloquialism does not mean that it is a correct way to deal with the public. I recall several of them..."A !@#$ in the woodpile" comes to mind.

It is rude and presumptuous. "De nada" has a certain affection to it. "No problem" comes across as dismissive. That it's common usage today is sad.

To be unfair, you've cherry-picked one phrase amongst my posts.

I realize that the phrase "No Problem" is common speech.

But understand what it implies. Namely, that the server is saying that "Oh, OK customer - I absolve you - the paying customer, of any feelings you may have about upsetting me."

It is completely backwards. It's rude, presumptuous, and has no place in proper service. A proper response to a request by a customer is "Yes, Sir, or Yes Ma'am, I'll take care of it." Not a flippant "no problem!" utterance.

I use the phase "no problem" in my work every day. I fix peoples computers. They might say to me "oh yah, could you also look at my anti virus, I don't think it's working". I reply with "no problem". What I am saying (and I believe, what they are hearing) is I will take care of it. I have used that phase thousands of times over the past 13 years to my clients and not one time has one of them not understood what I meant, or had a problem with it, not sure how come you do?

I gotta say I can understand why others might call you out on this and I am not trying to start anything, but man you sound like a jerk. If I was a serving your table, it would be my last day at that job, cause I wouldn't take your ****. Just sayin.

You are not getting my point - at all. To simply say that that it is a colloquialism does not mean that it is a correct way to deal with the public. I recall several of them..."A !@#$ in the woodpile" comes to mind.

It is rude and presumptuous. "De nada" has a certain affection to it. "No problem" comes across as dismissive. That it's common usage today is sad.

BTW its a 96 lumina. sorry.

Then you know how big a pain in the ass it is an not necessary.

Necessary? No.

Better? Without question.

I know Italian restaurants that buy pre-made meatballs, ravioli and gnocchi. I also know (and have worked at) restaurants that make all of those in the kitchen. Guess which restaurants have better food?

Why is it a pain?

Because it is harder than grabbing frozen fries out of the freezer. It also involves a bit of work and procedure to make sure you deliver a consistent product. But the amount of work involved is far overstated by those too lazy to do it the right way.

Necessary? No.

Better? Without question.

I know Italian restaurants that buy pre-made meatballs, ravioli and gnocchi. I also know (and have worked at) restaurants that make all of those in the kitchen. Guess which restaurants have better food?

Don't even !@#$ing go there with me. So you're telling me that restaurants that make their own fries from scratch have better food than restaurants that use frozen?

Don't even !@#$ing go there with me. So you're telling me that restaurants that make their own fries from scratch have better food than restaurants that use frozen?

Better fries, for sure. I expected you of all people to be a stickler on freshness?

No. I'm saying they have better fries.

Because it is harder than grabbing frozen fries out of the freezer. It also involves a bit of work and procedure to make sure you deliver a consistent product. But the amount of work involved is far overstated by those too lazy to do it the right way.

you said before that to do fresh cut fries right you would par cook them right?

so what happen when you run out? speed prep, without the par cook

the result, inconsistent food quality, its not as much about laziness as it is consistency.