Ed Wang, the next big thing

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice video. what a feel good story. makes me want to "root" (choosing my words carefully) for the guy. It really looks like with some good coaching he could turn into a good find. With the physical tools he posseses, and a great work ethic, I like this kids chances.

Maybe this is somewhat racist, and I sure hope I'm wrong, but I wonder if he will hold up physically against the large African-American guys in the NFL. But one thing he has going for him, is a voice that sounds deep like a stereotypical African-American. Even has some hip-hop intonation. Oops, I did it again, maybe another racist sounding comment. :D

What, there are no big white men in the nfl, or other races? I mean WHY even put that in there? Couldn't you have said "against the large guys in the nfl"? IMO, just a stupid thing to say that didnt needed to be said. and i'm a white guy just so ya know

I like the nickname Darth Wang, that was on the back of that one fans helmet.

yea I noticed that too. I like it. wonder what darthice will think of it?

To Summarize, Wang can pass protect, but not run block effectively:

If we can get an LT to do 50% of his role, then I think it is a good start. Protecting your QB and keeping him upright is better for now.

He is excellent at pass protecting against the speed rush. The bull rush did give him some issues as far as pass protection went. However the guy has great positioning which means its just a physical issues that he can get stronger as time goes on as he gets exposed to an NFL strength program and he gets older.

Run blocking in college he was good but not great which means in the NFL were the guys are bigger and stronger he could struggle there in his early years. So yeah there was a reason he was there in the 5th round the guy needs to be stronger in order to be effective in the ground game and to be more complete in the pass protection game.

Once again this is all according to scouting reports I have read the key issue with the guy seems to be strength.

The one thing you really like about the guy is that he is a hard worker and so he is going to put in the time necessary to get that added strength he needs to be more effective at the pro-level.

It will be great if this kid can start one day but day one does not bode well. Peters was on the roster a long time before he ever got over to LT. It would frankly not be shocking to see this guy on the practice squad this year in order to get bigger and more polished. I just think putting any kind of faith in this guy passed over this much for day one is completely misplaced. Now year 2 or probably 3 of the rookie contract could hold some hope.

I hope Wang is our LT for years to come. he has the "feet" as hes a converted tight end, and it was noted he is great against speed rushers. Thats big for LT's, they dont all have that. But can he run block and be nasty? idk, but I sure hope he can develop it.

idk if this link was posted already

Great stuff, man. Thanks.

Not unheard of, unheralded. He's not as raw, but it's close. Hence the late round selection.

On the contrary. Peters never played on the line till his second year as a pro. Bell never even played football till college.

Compared to them, Wang has a more conventional background. Picking guys in the later rounds and training them for a year or two till they're ready to fit in isn't some kind of Bills-only technique. It's a common and often-successful way of developing a line.

Ed Wang's nickname at VaTech was "Godzilla". The perfect nickname! Especially if he can terrorize Gotham.

Except that Godzilla is Japanese, not Chinese.

Ed apparently got a bit of a chuckle out of the fact that his teammates didn't know the difference, but then accepted the nickname and enjoyed it. Gotta like the guy. Hope he works out.