Is Edwards Injury Prone?

I say yes and I have an objective standard for making that statement.

An injury prone player is one who loses playing time to three different types of injuries in 3 times in 2 seasons. There are injured players like Jim Kelly who had a bursa sac problem which irritated and damaged his play throughout his career. Yet, I would never put the label injury prone on him for two reasons:

1. The bursa sac was a specific problem which needed continually treatment but he was not prone to coming down with a set of other injuries which cost him PT in addition to the recurring bursa problem.

2. He was tough as nails and often even when hurt he would struggle back onto the field to play to his best ability (which often even when hurt was pretty good- sometimes he did more harm than good and a good coach recognizes this and tells his star to sit down and heal).

Rob Johnson on the other hand defined what I would call injury prone. One week it was a concussion. A few weeks later it was a fractured collar bone, later on he got sacked and fell onto the point of the ball and got sidelined. He not only got hurt and lost PT but did so with injury after injury to different parts of his body.

Trent did not even play a full season last year so its harder to objectively label him injury prone simply because he was not on the field to get injured enough last year for him to earn this booby prize.

However, one need only look over his short career to find him getting knocked out his rookie year by a wrist injury, then see him lose valuable PT in training camp to a different injury I cannot remember what as he needed the practice, and then see him lose PT again due to a concussion which cost him several games.

Add to this his history in college where an injury cost him PT.

Add it up and I think one needs to be really reluctant to trust the starting QB job to him.

I think this is too bad because I like him as a player. He is an accurate passer who reads plays incredibly well. He is far more mobile than initially expected and I think a pretty tough guy who has shown a willingness to hang in the pocket despite the pass rush to throw his bullets.

I understand why some have dubbed him Trentative, but from what I saw this hesitation came not from any lack of toughness on his part, but actually from first Schoenert and then AVP not being able to design an effective O which used the substantial speed and actually good enough receiving ability of Evans, Owens, and even Parrish (he deserves doubts for his lack of WR production but undeniably has shown he is a superior open field running talent on PR duty.

The Bills receiver patterns did not make adequate use of techniques like slant patterns and even getting as close to the legal line as one can setting picks to utilize the great speed we had. Nor did we run and call plays which forced DCs and DBs to make difficult choices about who to Dt on pass plays and what impact double coverage of receivers would have allowing Lynch and/or Jackson to run while.

Despite the fact I do not see Edwards as the blame for our tentative nature, I simply do not see how he can be counted upon when he is as objectively injury prone as he is.

I think it would be stupid for the team to cut him. I do not have confidence that either Brohm or Fitzy are stud QBs. Edwards with his third round pick deal is sill relatively cheap. It would be dumb not to keep him. Brown is a lock for the PS as it make little sense for any other team to sign him when we cut him prior to going on the PS.

I think we go into camp with all three having a legit shot but then the braintrust needs to make decisions based on on the field performance in practice and in the first two pre-season games to then appoint a starter and then a back-up in the Frank Reich role.

The disaster QB is just that. I do not care who is in which spot, the best one who steps up in on field competition should win. For us part of that judgment needs to be coming from Edwards (who reportedly has put on some pounds of muscle) getting creamed a few times but actually getting back up.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but if you had to stand behind a porous O Line with vicious pass rushers and blitzers coming at you , you'd spend some time in the doctor's office too. Trent has stood up in the pocket, delivering throws despite pass rushers in his face. He's taken some hard shots for the sake of moving the chains.

Injury prone players are players who don't know how to protect themself. Trent Edwards is one of those players. He gets concussions because he doens't see the blitz coming and takes a hard hit.

An injury prone player is one who loses playing time to three different types of injuries in 3 times in 2 seasons. There are injured players like Jim Kelly who had a bursa sac problem which irritated and damaged his play throughout his career. Yet, I would never put the label injury prone on him for two reasons:

1. The bursa sac was a specific problem which needed continually treatment but he was not prone to coming down with a set of other injuries which cost him PT in addition to the recurring bursa problem.

2. He was tough as nails and often even when hurt he would struggle back onto the field to play to his best ability (which often even when hurt was pretty good- sometimes he did more harm than good and a good coach recognizes this and tells his star to sit down and heal).

Rob Johnson on the other hand defined what I would call injury prone. One week it was a concussion. A few weeks later it was a fractured collar bone, later on he got sacked and fell onto the point of the ball and got sidelined. He not only got hurt and lost PT but did so with injury after injury to different parts of his body.

Trent did not even play a full season last year so its harder to objectively label him injury prone simply because he was not on the field to get injured enough last year for him to earn this booby prize.

However, one need only look over his short career to find him getting knocked out his rookie year by a wrist injury, then see him lose valuable PT in training camp to a different injury I cannot remember what as he needed the practice, and then see him lose PT again due to a concussion which cost him several games.

Add it up and I think one needs to be really reluctant to trust the starting QB job to him.

I think this is too bad because I like him as a player. He is an accurate passer who reads plays incredibly well. He is far more mobile than initially expected and I think a pretty tough guy who has shown a willingness to hang in the pocket despite the pass rush to throw his bullets.

I understand why some have dubbed him Trentative, but from what I saw this hesitation came not from any lack of toughness on his part, but actually from first Schoenert and then AVP not being able to design an effective O which used the substantial speed and actually good enough receiving ability of Evans, Owens, and even Parrish (he deserves doubts for his lack of WR production but undeniably has shown he is a superior open field running talent on PR duty.

The Bills receiver patterns did not make adequate use of techniques like slant patterns and even getting as close to the legal line as one can setting picks to utilize the great speed we had. Nor did we run and call plays which forced DCs and DBs to make difficult choices about who to Dt on pass plays and what impact double coverage of receivers would have allowing Lynch and/or Jackson to run while.

Despite the fact I do not see Edwards as the blame for our tentative nature, I simply do not see how he can be counted upon when he is as objectively injury prone as he is.

I think it would be stupid for the team to cut him. I do not have confidence that either Brohm or Fitzy are stud QBs. Edwards with his third round pick deal is sill relatively cheap. It would be dumb not to keep him. Brown is a lock for the PS as it make little sense for any other team to sign him when we cut him prior to going on the PS.

I think we go into camp with all three having a legit shot but then the braintrust needs to make decisions based on on the field performance in practice and in the first two pre-season games to then appoint a starter and then a back-up in the Frank Reich role.

The disaster QB is just that. I do not care who is in which spot, the best one who steps up in on field competition should win. For us part of that judgment needs to be coming from Edwards (who reportedly has put on some pounds of muscle) getting creamed a few times but actually getting back up.

You and I have one thing in common, we were huge Jim Kelly fans obviously, although thinking with a straight vision would tell you Kelly missed several games that weren't related to a Bursa sac. Kelly played for the Bills for 11 seasons and started all 16 games 4 times. I know once or twice they set him the last game of of the season, but figure them in and he still only started every game about half of the seasons in the league. He had knee injuries, shoulder injuries, etc, and I am not speaking bad about Kelly as he is my favorite player ever. He also had a much better line than Edwards has ever had in Buffalo which doesn't help. Now don't get me wrong, I am in no way comparing Edwards to Kelly, because you can't, one is a HOF who was surrounded by Hall of Famers and Pro Bowlers and led the greatest period in Bills history, while the other really hasn't accomplished too much, as of now. Just pointing out that your post is quite biased against Edwards as you blindly review Kelly's career. Edwards may never amount to much, but put him on the team that Kelly played with, behind the line of Hull, Ballard, etc. and there is a good chance he is an above average NFL QB. Not a huge Edwards fan, I like him but am not obsessed with him, but all of his problems haven't been entirely his fault.

Yes but if you had to stand behind a porous O Line with vicious pass rushers and blitzers coming at you , you'd spend some time in the doctor's office too. Trent has stood up in the pocket, delivering throws despite pass rushers in his face. He's taken some hard shots for the sake of moving the chains.

Please, the injury in the Jets game was completely his fault. And the fact that he stands in there is part of the problem, the guy is a statue in the pocket.

Injury prone players are players who don't know how to protect themself. Trent Edwards is one of those players. He gets concussions because he doens't see the blitz coming and takes a hard hit.

LOL omg some of these posts are hiliarious. DO you have eyes in the back of your head? I know what your problem is...you have no brain.

LOL omg some of these posts are hiliarious. DO you have eyes in the back of your head? I know what your problem is...you have no brain.

No, it's called pocket presence. Gruden talked about it during his rookie QB special. And Trent, like Colt doesn't know how to take or avoid being hit.

Here is a perfect example from the Jets game last year. 3 step drop, he doesn't get rid of it at the top of his drop when he is supposed to and then what does he do? He puts his head down and runs into the rush...... :D That right there is a guy who didn't use the two eyes on the front of his head to avoid that injury. At the 16 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jKeLrygAvc

Yes he is, and he is a kitty to boot.

Know, it's called pocket presence. Gruden talked about it during his rookie QB special. And Trent, like Colt doesn't know how to take or avoid being hit.

Here is a perfect example from the Jets game last year. 3 step drop, he doesn't get rid of it at the top of his drop when he is supposed to and then what does he do? He puts his head down and runs into the rush...... :D That right there is a guy who didn't use the two eyes on the front of his head to avoid that injury. At the 16 second mark.

All QB's have a blind side. You mean to tell me you never saw a hall of fame QB get smashed to the turf from the blindside? You haven't watched enough football apparently.

And by the way, a "pocket" has to be formed by the O-line in order for a QB to develop "pocket presence". How many times were our QB 's hit by the time they got to the end of their 3rd step drop? Our O-line SUCKED last year...and most people here blame the QB. It is friggin hilarious.

Watch the play you posted. Hangman (63) our awesome center, was beaten badly on that play. Levitre (67) didn't block anyone either... Do you see a pocket formed there? LOL! come on dude wake up! Edwards felt the pressure from behind but had NOWHERE to go but into the chest of 97 (who wasn't blocked by our TE (86)) Even if he threw the ball away, he still gets whacked. That sack and QB injury resulted from a COMPLETE breakdown in pass protection.

No, it's called pocket presence. Gruden talked about it during his rookie QB special. And Trent, like Colt doesn't know how to take or avoid being hit.

So the guy wasn't open he keeps the ball and gets killed by 2 guys. You would be the first one on his ass if he released the ball and was picked off. "why would he throw that ball, the guy wasn't open", classic.

and yes he seems to be injury prone.

Yeah yeah yeah. The OL sucked last year. What was the excuse 2 years ago when it happened, because the OL wasn't all that bad then. Oh wait I remember; he didn't have any weapons. Three years ago, wait; play calling i think that was the problem. What is the excuse going to be this year ? Ah, new offense I bet.

Trent doesn't know how to take a hit correctly, stop making excuses. David Carr used to get the you know what kicked out of him for almost 3 years. I think he was the most sacked and hit QB in his early days, yet he got up and played. Trent on the other hand has :D

So the guy wasn't open he keeps the ball and gets killed by 2 guys. You would be the first one on his ass if he released the ball and was picked off. "why would he throw that ball, the guy wasn't open", classic.

and yes he seems to be injury prone.

Bad QBs hold the ball and take a sack.

Throwing the ball away, is the correct answer that escapes you and Trent.

:D

Trent got injured in the 6th game vs. the Jets. Fitzpatrick started the following two games.

Then in week 15, Trent got injured again, and was lost for the season. (so at the very least he would have missed 2 more games).

Bad QBs hold the ball and take a sack.

Throwing the ball away, is the correct answer that escapes you and Trent.

Trent has shown that he is a bad QB, no question. You don't always have an opportunity to throw the ball away. It think that was one of them.

Yeah yeah yeah. The OL sucked last year. What was the excuse 2 years ago when it happened, because the OL wasn't all that bad then. Oh wait I remember; he didn't have any weapons. Three years ago, wait; play calling i think that was the problem. What is the excuse going to be this year ? Ah, new offense I bet.

Trent doesn't know how to take a hit correctly, stop making excuses. David Carr used to get the you know what kicked out of him for almost 3 years. I think he was the most sacked and hit QB in his early days, yet he got up and played. Trent on the other hand has :D

Tom Brady is a puss too then I suppose because he doesn't know how to take a hit on the side of the knee. He missed all of 2008...

I guess the only "good" QB's in your book are Favre and Peyton Manning....