went to a Packers Message board

peteski

Your adoration for Brohm is known, but this post is a classic case of spin.

Those fans don't know much about him? They know more than we do.

Others talk about him as if he was there for more than 1.5 years? They did get to see him for 2 training camps, and that's 2 more than we got see from him here.

"He has been so far off the radar, even in GB because of the emergence of Rodgers ..."

Are you honestly trying to stay that GB literally FORGOT about Brohm because Rodgers panned out? Seriously?

But they paid attention to the seventh round pick Flynn?

"NO ONE, not even the GB Packers staff, really knows where he is at in his development."

"In fact, our staff is about the only people who can really say for sure if the kid is progressing or not as they have seen him how he is now in practice."

Oh, come on. Brohm spent 2 training camps in GB, and the coaches there got a first hand view of how the kid played in preseason. They know what plays were called, and they know he reacted during those plays.

But only the Buffalo staff knows anything about him because of some OTA's?

Let's see how he reacts when the pads are on, and they are hitting.

Having him running around in shorts playing catch with the WR won't tell the staff a whole lot regarding his ability to play during a game.

Yeah, the Bills were so confident with those 3 they contacted the Eagles about trading for McNabb.

I like Brohm (at this point) because he is not Edwards or Fitzpatrick, but I think this is Brohm's last chance.

Either he stands up and shows the Bills he CAN lead this team* forward, or I expect the Bills will be looking for a QB next off season.

*Winning the QB battle will not cut it. He needs to play like a franchise QB.

I understand most of what you are saying, but McNabb.....are you serious???? He is an instant upgrade to about 65 to 70% of the entire league. If you, as a GM, do not show interest in him, you are not looking to better or solidify your team.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most of oakland's problems were/are coaching - i don't think that we will have those same problems this year - i am actually excited to see what our coaches can do with these guys - especially the o-line and qb's - i think it will surprise many people on this board

...wasn't that the same thing that was said about Bills offensive line coach Jim McNally?

How much of a guy can you see in preseason when he's not even seeing most of the snaps? How much can you really determine from preseason games for a brand new rookie? How many people really study preseason games all that much?

Those fans are just blabbing as if they really know something, when they don't.

1. This coming year will be Brohm's third year in the NFL. When the Bills snagged him, Brohm was NOT a rookie.

2. People on this board watch preseason games so they can see how players are doing. Are you assuming Packer fans do not?

3. People on THIS board are passing judgment on Brohm based on a SINGLE SOLITARY game. Yet, somehow those Bills fans know more than the Packer fans?

1. This coming year will be Brohm's third year in the NFL. When the Bills snagged him, Brohm was NOT a rookie.

2. People on this board watch preseason games so they can see how players are doing. Are you assuming Packer fans do not?

3. People on THIS board are passing judgment on Brohm based on a SINGLE SOLITARY game. Yet, somehow those Bills fans know more than the Packer fans?

I agree that you can't really judge Brohm based on two NFL appearances.

The first thing I do is turn the sound off :rolleyes:

Is there some rule that says every fifth word in a rap video has to be "!@#$"?

To enlighten you.... it's nigga not !@#$, believe me there is a difference.

Also I believe there is an effort in the record biz to keep the word floating around, otherwise they would ban it, which is what they should do but don't.

The only people in Green Bay that had any clue about Brohm were the GB coaching staff. Taking some snaps in pre season, with 2nd and 3rd stringers at times, tells the common fan nothing. He lost his spot in practice, not in preseason.

The funny thing is, the fans in GB didn't cut him, the coaching staff did. I put stock in their point of view. Apparently they thought he offered nothing after only one year.

I understand most of what you are saying, but McNabb.....are you serious???? He is an instant upgrade to about 65 to 70% of the entire league. If you, as a GM, do not show interest in him, you are not looking to better or solidify your team.

You and Alpha should not be focusing on the name "McNabb". The name of the QB is irrelevant. I mentioned McNabb because he was the only QB that was considered to be starting quality, in that he could come to Buffalo and start immediately.

The point was the Bills attempted to sign a QB to be the starter. If the Bills were really comfortable with who they already had, they would not be willing to sign another QB.

The only people in Green Bay that had any clue about Brohm were the GB coaching staff.

Fine. The GB coaching staff felt so highly of Brohm, they waived him.

TWICE.

I'm not worried.

I like Nix's comments on why they did not draft a QB until the 7th round this year that are posted on BB.com.

Basically, athletically speaking there is nothing Tebow, Clausen, or McCoy offered that was different from Edwards, Fitz, or Brohm. And I agree.

The clincher for the Bills brass was that they DO know how Edwards, Fitz, etc handle pressure in the NFL. They do NOT know how this years rookies will handle it, so why not coach up what you have rather than grab something that you don't.

Makes perfect sense to me and I am now more at ease and confident that a plan is in place to build the QB position.

Its similar to what Lindy Ruff and Regier said at the end of the year conference on Thursday when speaking about the futures of Tim Connolly and Derek Roy with the Sabres.

After a playoff series where it was obvious Connolly atleast is much too tentative to be a successful contributor for us anymore, the team would like to get better at the Center position. That is providing, however, that better talent will be available and can be had at the position that would provoke action for change.

Same thing for our QB's. This years draft class did not offer anything better than what we already have on the roster. But, BUT, should something better come along I think the Bills will move quickly to obtain that player. Look at McNabb. Ultimately, it was McNabb's wishes being accomodated that led to him going to Washington. The Bills reportedly offered more both to the Eagles and contractually to McNabb.

We will get our QB. It may be a year or two, but we will get him. And in the meantime, maybe one of our guys already on the roster will step up and provide some stability at the position until then.

:rolleyes:

Isn't this what we've been doing for the last 5 seasons? Plug in the guy that gives us the best chance to win now (Fitz) and let's try to win more games than we lose this year.

I saw an NFL Films thing the other day and a guy was in the stands with a sign that read "We are on the 18th year of our 5 year rebuilding program". I can relate.

I can respect where you are coming from, we are all tired of rebuiliding. However, being tired of rebuilding doesnt change the fact that we are rebuilding in essence. This team is very young at many skill positions and is being retooled by a new staff in new schemes and requires new personnel. So, as frustrated as we all are, plugging in Fitz to hope to squeak another win or two out (which I am not even sure he could get us the most wins of our 3 QB's) doesnt make sense unless he shows the promise to be our long term guy. Lets face it, he isnt leading us to the playoffs at this point.

This is another area where I think you are missing the boat...some casual fans on here who know nothing of Brohm outside of Buffalo may be doing this, but the ones who have supported his acquisition from the get go are basing their desires to see him play based on his potential, not the one game against Atl.

And as far as brohm in preseason...he barely played...you act like he got 3 quarters of work each game. And this last year, he wasnt getting any reps with the first and second units as the two guys ahead of him were entrenched at QB1 and QB2...

I have several Packer fan friends, and they all say the same thing. They didnt get to see enough of him and wished they would have kept him because they hated losing a 2nd round pick for literally nothing.

And I dont understand with your fascination with putting so MUCH emphasis on a QB's development in his first 1 and half years in the league, especially one who never got any real experience on the field to develop and adjust to the speed of the game.

I don't care what argument you come up with, there isnt any logical point you can make that will convince me that this staff doesnt currently know more than GB about where Brohm is right now than where he was last off season.

The funny thing is, the fans in GB didn't cut him, the coaching staff did. I put stock in their point of view. Apparently they thought he offered nothing after only one year.

I love how some over simplify what really went down in GB. The tunnel vision some people on here is astonishing, especially given how cheap Brohm is for us compared to his potential and how this is a total win win for the Buffalo Bills. It gives us a chance of developing a franchise guy who is first round talented with little financial commitment while we draft and develop players at our other many many holes. There is very LITTLE risk here and potential for a big reward.

GB and Brohm:

1 GB placed him on PS because they couldnt carry 3 active QB's given needs at other positions, and when you are a SB contender you have to do what gives you the best chance to win, and carrying 3 QB's while remaining thin at another area of need is not what teams concerned about winning do.

2 Flynn is much better than posters who only know big names give him credit for

3 GB loves Flynn

4 Flynn and Brohm were drafted together and one needed to backup Rodgers immediately and they felt Flynn adjusted faster to the speed of the game

5 Several teams came into grab Brohm off he PS, but he chose us because we offered the best chance to compete since we didnt have an entrenched starter

6 GB hoped to stash him there and then offered him a contract to be on the active roster despite not having room for him just to keep him when teams came in to grab him

7 GB said they had never seen a player pick up the play book as fast as he did

8 Brohm was highly productive in a pro style system

You and Alpha should not be focusing on the name "McNabb". The name of the QB is irrelevant. I mentioned McNabb because he was the only QB that was considered to be starting quality, in that he could come to Buffalo and start immediately.

The point was the Bills attempted to sign a QB to be the starter. If the Bills were really comfortable with who they already had, they would not be willing to sign another QB.

Come on man...this is so rediculous...NO GM ON EARTH WOULD HAVE CHOSEN AN UNPROVEN QB TO START THE SEASON OVER MCNABB. This is by far your craziest and stupidest argument against how the staff feels about Brohm. McNabb is a top 10 talent, and if you can get him for your team when you have no proven starter, you do so. That is NO, and I repeat, NOOOOO, indication of how the staff feels about the potential of their young guys.

I don't have an issue with your doubts in Brohm, its all opinnion and discussion, but this one you keep bringing up about McNabb is just silly...

Guest dog14787
Come on man...this is so rediculous...NO GM ON EARTH WOULD HAVE CHOSEN AN UNPROVEN QB TO START THE SEASON OVER MCNABB. This is by far your craziest and stupidest argument against how the staff feels about Brohm. McNabb is a top 10 talent, and if you can get him for your team when you have no proven starter, you do so. That is NO, and I repeat, NOOOOO, indication of how the staff feels about the potential of their young guys.

I don't have an issue with your doubts in Brohm, its all opinnion and discussion, but this one you keep bringing up about McNabb is just silly...

I agree, the name of the QB is relevant and you know me Alpha I'm a huge fan of TE's,

but taking TE or any one of our QB's over the highly proven Championship caliber QB, McNabb,

Ummm, how about NO

I've never been a fan of McNabb, but that would change very quickly if he came to Buffalo

:rolleyes::sick:

It's not about McNabb. YOU think the name is relevant because YOU place such a high value on McNabb.

I'll post this in the simplest form possible. It is NOT about the Bills going after QB xxxxx, it's about the Bills going for a QB. Period.

How would you feel if you found if the Bills went after Campbell?

Go back and read Red's post #50. He gets it more than you do.

You people are putting an awful lot of faith in a guy who hasn't once shown he belongs in this league, be it in pre-season or the regular season. The "I've heard of him" factor mixed in with quite a bit of understandable desperation is at an all time high.

2009 Preseason Games Passing Rushing Fumbles WK Game Date Opp Result G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost

1 08/15 CLE W 17-0 1 0 3 10 30.0 18 1.8 0 2 1 3 0.0 2 -2 -1.0 0 -- --

2 08/22 BUF W 31-21 1 0 12 19 63.2 83 4.4 0 1 0 0 51.0 2 4 2.0 0 -- --

3 08/28 @ ARI W 44-37 1 0 4 5 80.0 45 9.0 0 0 2 18 104.2 1 -1 -1.0 0 -- --

4 09/03 @ TEN L 13-27 1 0 20 28 71.4 154 5.5 0 0 2 8 84.5 1 5 5.0 0 -- --

TOTAL 4 0 39 62 62.9 300 4.8 0 3 5 29 54.5 6 6 1.0 0 0 0

16 12/27 @ ATL L 3-31 1 1 17 29 58.6 146 5.0 0 2 2 8 43.2 -- -- -- -- -- --

2008 Preseason Games Passing Rushing Fumbles WK Game Date Opp Result G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost

1 08/11 CIN L 17-20 1 0 8 17 47.1 70 4.1 0 1 0 0 33.9 -- -- -- -- -- --

2 08/16 @ SF L 6-34 1 0 4 9 44.4 33 3.7 0 0 0 0 54.4 2 1 0.5 0 1 1

3 08/22 @ DEN W 27-24 1 0 0 4 0.0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 39.6 -- -- -- -- -- --

4 08/28 TEN L 21-23 1 0 7 12 58.3 52 4.3 0 0 4 33 68.8 1 0 0.0 0 3 1

TOTAL 4 0 19 42 45.2 155 3.7 0 1 4 33 45.2 3 1 0.3 0 4 2

Nine games played in combined, zero touchdowns, six interceptions thrown, eleven sacks taken. Settle down, people.

Here are his professional "highlights":

http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/bengals-...ISmEUQgujIhMzLw

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-tota...9000d5d81268a18

http://www.nfl.com/videos/atlanta-falcons/09000d5d8154c839

I can respect where you are coming from, we are all tired of rebuiliding. However, being tired of rebuilding doesnt change the fact that we are rebuilding in essence. This team is very young at many skill positions and is being retooled by a new staff in new schemes and requires new personnel. So, as frustrated as we all are, plugging in Fitz to hope to squeak another win or two out (which I am not even sure he could get us the most wins of our 3 QB's) doesnt make sense unless he shows the promise to be our long term guy. Lets face it, he isnt leading us to the playoffs at this point.

Exactly. Last season, despite other questionable moves with roster & starters, Jauron started Fitz because he felt he gave the Bills the best chance to win. He was trying to get wins to save his job.

His record at the time of his firing along with his whole body of work (questionable time mgmt, starting so many inexperienced O-linemen) led to his dismissal.

Fewell seemed to not have confidence in Edwards as he continued to start Fitz but he was also trying to win games as he began his head coaching resume.

The new coaching staff should get a 1st year pass on the number of wins, even if it's less than the 6 of 2009 as long as there are signs things are getting better.

:rolleyes::sick:

It's not about McNabb. YOU think the name is relevant because YOU place such a high value on McNabb.

I'll post this in the simplest form possible. It is NOT about the Bills going after QB xxxxx, it's about the Bills going for a QB. Period.

How would you feel if you found if the Bills went after Campbell?

Go back and read Red's post #50. He gets it more than you do.

:sick::wallbash:

Thats just it...it is about the name MCNABB...dont you get that? They did NOT pursue the other average at best QB's that were available like Campbell, Vick, Bulger, Delhomme, Garcia, etc, etc...they ONLY went out and tried to acquire a TOP 10 QB who is not only a clear substantial upgrade over an unproven QB, but also an upgrade over about 75% of the starters in this league...

How is ths so complicated for you? I mean the FO cant be any clearer on this...they passed up Campbell for dirt cheap, Cluassen, McCoy, LeFevoru, Pike, etc, etc many times even when there was great value in where they could have gotten them on draft day. Clearly, they feel they were not significant upgrades over the potential we have in our QB's on this roster. Nix has even publicly stated that he did not feel any of the QB's outside of Bradford had the same potential as Brohm...

Come on man...this isnt that complicated. I mean, obviously a top 10 QB gives an a better chance to win, but that does not indicate they dont think Brohm can develop into a good QB in this league. I guarantee you that if we had gotten McNabb, Trent would have likely seen the door over Fitz, Brohm would be the guy groomed to replace him in 3 years (and if he didnt show improvement, another young guy would be drafted next year or the year after), and Fitz would be most likely kept as a backup.