Why Buffalo didn't go after a big name QB

Pete_C79

I believe that the Bills didn't go after one of the big name QB's was for a couple of reasons...

1) Both McCoy and Clausen had too many injury concerns.

2) If rookie salaries are suppose to be much lower next year why not wait a year and maybe sign a guy for much less instead of spending a bunch of money on someone who may not work out. What if Levi Brown is a great NFL QB? Then we got him for a great deal.

Spiller is gonna be a great NFL player, no question in my mind. Bills made a quality pick taking him ninth, next draft when we do sign a good QB (if no one steps up this year) then we will have a good young QB and a great young running back for years to come.

I don't buy the injury concerns, but I think there was enough question about both to merit the slips in the draft. Bottom line: it wasn't a great QB draft.

Usually QB's are drafted much HIGHER than they deserve. I thought John Skelton was the sleeper this year and might go as high as the early 3rd round and instead he went late 5th.

I don't buy the injury concerns, but I think there was enough question about both to merit the slips in the draft. Bottom line: it wasn't a great QB draft.

Usually QB's are drafted much HIGHER than they deserve. I thought John Skelton was the sleeper this year and might go as high as the early 3rd round and instead he went late 5th.

Not to mention that Clausen declared early, which never helps a QB's stock.

I like the look of Brown. He's tall enough, yet he's stocky - he looks like one of our old tampa 2 linebackers - maybe not well defined, but it looks like he can take a hit. He's got a good arm, he's smart, throws a good spiral. If we have good coaches then given that skill set, they should be able to make it work.

That's my opinion of how they should do with a few of our QB's, though. I don't like Fitzgerald, and Trent might have lost too much nerve to bounce back, but between Brohm and Brown they should find a game manager, at the least.

Simple reason is that they only saw Bradford as the only worthy QB in this draft. I guess they felt like Brohm was as good as Clausen, Tebow, McCoy, and almost all the other QB's that were drafted in the early or mid rounds. Brohm is a young QB with a lot of potential already on the roster why waste a early or mid round pick on a QB who isn't as good a prospect as Brohm?

Levi Brown was a 7th round pick worth the shot because hey its a 7th round pick. I don't see much out of Brown, Brohm has potential and would like to see him get some serious playing time but I just don't know what he can be, Edwards seems shot, Fitz is a great backup and the only vet option but as a starter the guy has serious limitations.

Going into this year, descriptions like: lost his confidence, lost his nerve and more than anything else - shell-shocked are generally not the terms that you would ideally like to associate with your starting QB. It is what it is - and sure the Bills will field a team this upcoming season, but this was the year to make the defense better and see who can play on offense - and maybe next year it will be time to enter the Mallet or Locker sweepstakes.

I agree with most of what is said. QB is a crap shoot. I was ready to lock up Edwards to a ten yr. contract pre concussion and now he will be lucky to be on this team down the line. You can add Chris Ponder Fla. State to that QB sweepstakes for 2011. The kid can play. Although he is coming off an injury.

Guest dog14787
They did go after a big name QB - his name was McNabb and he was traded to the Redskins instead. None of those qbs coming out of college (with the exception of Bradford - maybe) are "big name"

+1

Brohm has just as much chance of becoming a quality starter in the NFL as anyone in the draft in my opinion. ( with the possible exception of Bradford)

Becauase Chan Gailey is still laughing his ass off at the POS OC's this team has had over the last 5 years. He like all of us has no idea if Trent or Brohm can be a quality QB based on the film he has to evaluate. He does know Fitzy sucks though because you can't teach accuracy of which he has none. Gailey most likely thinks he would rather develop/work with two QB's that have at least been in the NFL a couple years as opposed to a rookie.

He owes it to Trent to give him one last shot. We had a mediocre career backup QB running the offense last year who inherited the job less than a month before the season started... what did you expect last year? Can you necessarily blame the QB solely for that? Bottom line, this is Edwards last chance to show us what he's got with an offensive minded HC.

Becauase Chan Gailey is still laughing his ass off at the POS OC's this team has had over the last 5 years. He like all of us has no idea if Trent or Brohm can be a quality QB based on the film he has to evaluate. He does know Fitzy sucks though because you can't teach accuracy of which he has none. Gailey most likely thinks he would rather develop/work with two QB's that have at least been in the NFL a couple years as opposed to a rookie.

everyone rips Fitz, he played better than trent did, showed that he could make mid range and deep throws, came up big in tight situations....all the things kitty couldnt do. And you say hes not accurate now?? I dont remember too many misfires. Are you one of the people who say Lee evans drops balls too??? wasnt he in the 60's in percent completion?? Jesus. what do you want? I know , lets give him 3 years to develop like we did Loseman and trentative and then defend him after he loses 3 times as many games as he wins.

Not to mention that Clausen declared early, which never helps a QB's stock.

Also not to mention the history of ND QB busts in the NFL, i.e., Rick Mirer, Brady Quinn - expect to see Wanker-Punk Clausen's name added to that list in a few years, if not sooner (Emu-Man is my top pick for 'Rookie Most Likely to Receive the Troy Vincent Treatment' from one of his own teammates).

Simple reason is that they only saw Bradford as the only worthy QB in this draft. I guess they felt like Brohm was as good as Clausen, Tebow, McCoy, and almost all the other QB's that were drafted in the early or mid rounds. Brohm is a young QB with a lot of potential already on the roster why waste a early or mid round pick on a QB who isn't as good a prospect as Brohm?

Levi Brown was a 7th round pick worth the shot because hey its a 7th round pick. I don't see much out of Brown, Brohm has potential and would like to see him get some serious playing time but I just don't know what he can be, Edwards seems shot, Fitz is a great backup and the only vet option but as a starter the guy has serious limitations.

That;'s the thing isn't it? I mean given what you'd have to give up to get an early round QB, I'm not sure they could justify bringing someone in who might not be as ready as Brohm.

Or they think Edwards is as good as Clausen, Tebow, McCoy, and almost all the other QB's that were drafted in the early or mid rounds. Or they think Fitzpatrick is as good as Clausen, Tebow, McCoy, and almost all the other QB's that were drafted in the early or mid rounds.

For all any of us know, they think Brohm is trash & Brown was drafted to compete & replace him as 3rd stringer. I love how the Brohm supporters can twist any move the Bills make into a sign that the Bills think of Brohm as anything but another camp QB. We have no evidence what Nix & Gailey think of any of the QBs. For all we know, they could pick 3 guys off the waiver wire in September & cut all 4 of the current QBs.

I believe that the Bills didn't go after one of the big name QB's was for a couple of reasons...

2) If rookie salaries are suppose to be much lower next year why not wait a year and maybe sign a guy for much less instead of spending a bunch of money on someone who may not work out. What if Levi Brown is a great NFL QB? Then we got him for a great deal.

Spiller is gonna be a great NFL player, no question in my mind. Bills made a quality pick taking him ninth, next draft when we do sign a good QB (if no one steps up this year) then we will have a good young QB and a great young running back for years to come.

Why the concern over money? Clausen was a lower second round pick and McCoy was a third round pick. They would be getting money slotted for those draft positions. No matter how the rookie salary scale changes next year, undoubtedly, a high first round qb selection next year would cost more than this year's second or third round selection.

As Bills fans, we're used to dismissing what the FO says because it so seldom correlates with what it does, or with what it said it was planning. Gobbledegook, in other words. HOWEVER, one of the things that is most striking about Nix and Gailey is that whatever they say so far has been EXACTLY what they've done. So, as to the QBs, they have repeatedly said that they are happy with the three guys they have, that they have talent, and that they're going in to camp with them. Nix also said they targeted Levi Brown from the git go (see? he's got me talking "suthren").

Now, because we're Bills fans, we're a little gunshy about believing what we're told so I understand the skepticism. But because Nixley has been so consistent right along, I'm going to assume that what they're telling us now is honest and open. And so, if they think our QBs have talent, then I've got to bite my tongue and go along with them. I mean, these guys have forgotten more about football than I'll ever know on purpose.