Why Buffalo didn't go after a big name QB

Pete_C79

As Bills fans, we're used to dismissing what the FO says because it so seldom correlates with what it does, or with what it said it was planning. Gobbledegook, in other words. HOWEVER, one of the things that is most striking about Nix and Gailey is that whatever they say so far has been EXACTLY what they've done. So, as to the QBs, they have repeatedly said that they are happy with the three guys they have, that they have talent, and that they're going in to camp with them. Nix also said they targeted Levi Brown from the git go (see? he's got me talking "suthren").

Now, because we're Bills fans, we're a little gunshy about believing what we're told so I understand the skepticism. But because Nixley has been so consistent right along, I'm going to assume that what they're telling us now is honest and open. And so, if they think our QBs have talent, then I've got to bite my tongue and go along with them. I mean, these guys have forgotten more about football than I'll ever know on purpose.

I agree, Nix has been pretty honest. Not completely so in the sense that he sidesteps some questions or answers them a little ambiguously because he HAS to. It's still a competition for players with the other teams. He & Chan say they want to see what they've got as they have talent. (bottom-end IMO) but also that they'll improve the team when the see a good opportunity.

I've been VERY happy to see how they've sniffed around all kinds of deals but only ended up with a few. I'm very happy with the ones that they've made and I'm happy that they haven't overpaid to get others. There was nobody available that would have saved our team. So they didn't break the bank for ones that might have offered a marginal improvement.

Probably the closest would have been McNabb, but he's not a slam dunk either. But they looked at him, and found out what the cost would be. In their opinion the cost was too much and I'm okay with that.

They are doing the job that they SHOULD be doing and I'm very happy with it so far.

I believe that the Bills didn't go after one of the big name QB's was for a couple of reasons...

1) Both McCoy and Clausen had too many injury concerns.

2) If rookie salaries are suppose to be much lower next year why not wait a year and maybe sign a guy for much less instead of spending a bunch of money on someone who may not work out. What if Levi Brown is a great NFL QB? Then we got him for a great deal.

Spiller is gonna be a great NFL player, no question in my mind. Bills made a quality pick taking him ninth, next draft when we do sign a good QB (if no one steps up this year) then we will have a good young QB and a great young running back for years to come.

Some added things that I think better outline where the FO was on this...

1. They did go after the ONLY big name QB avaialable...McNabb. Was had better picks to offer and won the battle for him, but we went after him. Why...simple, because he is a top 10 QB in this league and instantly upgrades this team significantly.

2. The only truly big name and high demand QB in the draft was Bradford. Some had Claussen going second round before the draft even begun. He had a lot of question marks and so did McCoy.

3. All of that is a mute point to the actual reason we didnt go after one of these QB's...they simply do not offer us any more upside than former 2nd round pick Brian Brohm who has not had an opportunity yet. With all these holes on this team and lack of depth, the FO (and I said this even before the draft that we wouldnt take a QB in the first half of this draft) wasnt going to use a much needed high pick on a QB that doesnt offer any more upside than our young guy already on the roster. If all our other holes were mostly filled, it would be another story, but there was simply too many other needs to use a high pick on a QB when we dont know what we have yet in Brohm (or even Trent for that matter in this new offense and staff).

4. Next years crop of QB's are looking to be much stronger than this year and at a cheaper price...so if there was ever going to be a year to see what Brohm has or what Trent can do under Gailey, then this is the year to do it.

They did go after a big name QB - his name was McNabb and he was traded to the Redskins instead. None of those qbs coming out of college (with the exception of Bradford - maybe) are "big name"

Very true,.. they tried to get McNabb, and he simply did not want the bills situation (I can't blame him.. rebuilding team/years away/new ownership and coaching probably soon.. etc etc) .. they made a real effort.. no top tier FAs or coaches likely coming to Buff until long term ownership is in place...

Very true,.. they tried to get McNabb, and he simply did not want the bills situation (I can't blame him.. rebuilding team/years away/new ownership and coaching probably soon.. etc etc) .. they made a real effort.. no top tier FAs or coaches likely coming to Buff until long term ownership is in place...

The time to go after McNabb was when he left Syracuse. Instead, we had Rob Johnson for a couple games and then Flutie Fakes. I can't figure out why the Bills do not aggressively go after SU players that are really good (e.g. Marvin Harrison - Dwight Freeney). Going after star SU players in the draft would spark the interest of all of central New York and expand the Bill's market eastward.

The time to go after McNabb was when he left Syracuse. Instead, we had Rob Johnson for a couple games and then Flutie Fakes. I can't figure out why the Bills do not aggressively go after SU players that are really good (e.g. Marvin Harrison - Dwight Freeney). Going after star SU players in the draft would spark the interest of all of central New York and expand the Bill's market eastward.

I agree completely I also thought when they discussed the toronto deal that they should play a preseason game each yr in the dome. I live right by syracuse and travel weekly to the ralph however most ppl in this area aren't bills fans their is no "local" team and I feel this would drum up some fandom. Lot of ppl in rochester are fans it would seem only natural to try and continue down the thruway

Some added things that I think better outline where the FO was on this...

1. They did go after the ONLY big name QB avaialable...McNabb. Was had better picks to offer and won the battle for him, but we went after him. Why...simple, because he is a top 10 QB in this league and instantly upgrades this team significantly.

2. The only truly big name and high demand QB in the draft was Bradford. Some had Claussen going second round before the draft even begun. He had a lot of question marks and so did McCoy.

3. All of that is a mute point to the actual reason we didnt go after one of these QB's...they simply do not offer us any more upside than former 2nd round pick Brian Brohm who has not had an opportunity yet. With all these holes on this team and lack of depth, the FO (and I said this even before the draft that we wouldnt take a QB in the first half of this draft) wasnt going to use a much needed high pick on a QB that doesnt offer any more upside than our young guy already on the roster. If all our other holes were mostly filled, it would be another story, but there was simply too many other needs to use a high pick on a QB when we dont know what we have yet in Brohm (or even Trent for that matter in this new offense and staff).

4. Next years crop of QB's are looking to be much stronger than this year and at a cheaper price...so if there was ever going to be a year to see what Brohm has or what Trent can do under Gailey, then this is the year to do it.

Levi

everyone rips Fitz, he played better than trent did, showed that he could make mid range and deep throws, came up big in tight situations....all the things kitty couldnt do. And you say hes not accurate now?? I dont remember too many misfires. Are you one of the people who say Lee evans drops balls too??? wasnt he in the 60's in percent completion?? Jesus. what do you want? I know , lets give him 3 years to develop like we did Loseman and trentative and then defend him after he loses 3 times as many games as he wins.

I am a huge Evans fan and can't understand why this board dislikes him so much. But with regard to Fitz if you watched the games his deep sideline fly pattern thorws were often quite good but his intermediate passes and even his short ones were horrible. Trent can make the deep throw as well. Will he throw it deep none of us know. Was it DJ in his head or is Trent really Trentative? We shall all find out very quickly. There is no way Gailey is going to hitch his last HC chance on a tentative Trent or Fitz. He will know if Trent is the guy probably ny the end of the first week of training camp. He will either make Trent a good to great QB or he will develop Brohm.