Future for Maybin

So now that the draft is over, what do you think the Bills are going to do with Maybin?

Play him at OLB in the 3-4 or DE?

Do you think he will be a starter? He didn't really show much on the field last year, but maybe a change would do him good.

So now that the draft is over, what do you think the Bills are going to do with Maybin?

Do you think he will be a starter? He didn't really show much on the field last year, but maybe a change would do him good.

They've made it very very clear that he will be an LB.

Not that they had to. 3 - 4 DEs START at 280 pounds and most are bigger.

They brought a lot of competition in camp too. I think they're sending a message just because he's a 1st round pick doesn't mean he's entitled to anything.

Agreed, I just hope it's received loud and clear. Maybin better put down the twitter account and be doing all the things he needs to do so he can even get on the field outside of ST's. Last year, he couldn't even do that right (the offsides that cost us the onside).

After assessing Maybin's game I'm of the belief that he's ill suited to play OLB in the 3-4. If we ran a 3-4 defense heading into the 2009 draft there is no chance Maybin would have been the pick because he does not fit in a 3-4 well. His outside speed rush is handled rather easily by NFL OT"s and he has yet to develop any type of counter moves to prssure the QB. Add to this the fact that Maybin is very slow to diagnose plays and is not good in coverage and I think he'll struggle big time at OLB.

Nix and Gailey will give Maybin a fair shake and hopefully he can contribute. I just don't see it panning out.

After assessing Maybin's game I'm of the belief that he's ill suited to play OLB in the 3-4. If we ran a 3-4 defense heading into the 2009 draft there is no chance Maybin would have been the pick because he does not fit in a 3-4 well. His outside speed rush is handled rather easily by NFL OT"s and he has yet to develop any type of counter moves to prssure the QB. Add to this the fact that Maybin is very slow to diagnose plays and is not good in coverage and I think he'll struggle big time at OLB.

Nix and Gailey will give Maybin a fair shake and hopefully he can contribute. I just don't see it panning out.

There's no question in my mind he might be the biggest question mark coming into this season, and I am actually looking forward to seeing how he pans out. He was a very gifted player in college, it would be really disappointing to see his talents go to waste.

B-U-S-T. Maybe even worse than Mike Williams and Eric Flowers who at least got on the field.

Near term future for Maybin? Defensive line coach at Ellicott (MD) High School.

The guy was a one year, one trick pony in college. OLBs have to do a lot more than just rush the passer -- and he hasn't even shown he can do that yet. Hard to imagine he will suddenly become a capable NFL linebacker.

Maybe we can trade him to the Jets for Vernon Gholston.

Near term future for Maybin? Defensive line coach at Ellicott (MD) High School.

The guy was a one year, one trick pony in college. OLBs have to do a lot more than just rush the passer -- and he hasn't even shown he can do that yet. Hard to imagine he will suddenly become a capable NFL linebacker.

Maybe we can trade him to the Jets for Vernon Gholston.

Good point. He didn't set the world on fire year 1, so I think he is a lost cause. The NFL never has players struggle in year one. We should give up on him. It's not like he has a world of potential, and very minimal experience.

Sarcasm off

The truth is we just don'tknow. We have a lot of guys being "trained" to play the 3-4 who weren't drafted to play the 3-4 and might or might not be effective. How we think this is going to "stop the run" is beyond me. I always thought the big advantage of the 3-4 was that the linebackers were in a position for pass coverage. I think we'd have been better off bringing back the players who had been hurt, drafting a couple of very good defensive linemen and going with an improved 4-3. We had most of the personnel to be effective in that defense and could have addressed the problems in the draft.

The truth is we just don'tknow. We have a lot of guys being "trained" to play the 3-4 who weren't drafted to play the 3-4 and might or might not be effective. How we think this is going to "stop the run" is beyond me. I always thought the big advantage of the 3-4 was that the linebackers were in a position for pass coverage. I think we'd have been better off bringing back the players who had been hurt, drafting a couple of very good defensive linemen and going with an improved 4-3. We had most of the personnel to be effective in that defense and could have addressed the problems in the draft.

True, we had personell to play the 4-3 defense, but the personell we have had over the past 3 years was getting manhandled in the running game. So, either they weren't as good of fits for the 4-3 as we thought, or they just simply weren't as good as we thought.

Either way, you don't keep a scheme because your players fit it if your players who fit it aren't getting the job done.

This had to be the best thing to happn to Maybin. Getting the entire coaching staff tossed out! He gets a free pass on last season as far as I see it. I think he will be fine at the OLB in a 3-4. He can cover space and when asked he can put his hand on the ground and rush from the edge. This should be like a audition for him. He needs to come out strong and keep the motor runnin for him to make an impact for us this year. :)