Tired of the conventional wisdom

Dr. K

I am very tired of the conventional wisdom about the Bills right now. The "what everybody knows" statements about them. The "if you don't agree with these statements you have drunk the cool-aid" cliches. (Incidentally, if I never hear the phrase "drunk the cool-aid" again, it will be okay with me. Just a suggestion, guys.)

What is the conventional wisdom? Here's an example: "The Bills QBs are pathetic. They do nothing but check down (hold the ball too long, get sacked, etc. etc.). The team will not see even adequate QB play this season if they depend on Fitzpatrick, Brohm and Edwards. Just check downs and sacks and no passing yards.

I understand how these things arise, and that there is reason for them. When was the last time any Bills QB passed for 300 yards in a game?

Still, I think that opinion has become an unthinking twitch. I will hazard a prediction that, under Gailey and with Spiller in the backfield, with a defense that can at least occasionally get off the field, we will see good QB play this season from somebody. And I'll hazard another prediction that that somebody will be Trent Edwards.

I am very tired of the conventional wisdom about the Bills right now. The "what everybody knows" statements about them. The "if you don't agree with these statements you have drunk the cool-aid" cliches. (Incidentally, if I never hear the phrase "drunk the cool-aid" again, it will be okay with me. Just a suggestion, guys.)

There is a school of thought (and social research) that says the poor residents of Jonestown did not drink Kool-Aid but rather a competing product called Flavor Aid. This should not be confused with the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Tests of the mid-1960s in which Kool-Aid was laced with LSD.

And I agree with your premise. Conventional wisdom is usually has it back-asswards.

What is the conventional wisdom? Here's an example: "The Bills QBs are pathetic. They do nothing but check down (hold the ball too long, get sacked, etc. etc.). The team will not see even adequate QB play this season if they depend on Fitzpatrick, Brohm and Edwards. Just check downs and sacks and no passing yards.

I understand how these things arise, and that there is reason for them. When was the last time any Bills QB passed for 300 yards in a game?

Still, I think that opinion has become an unthinking twitch. I will hazard a prediction that, under Gailey and with Spiller in the backfield, with a defense that can at least occasionally get off the field, we will see good QB play this season from somebody. And I'll hazard another prediction that that somebody will be Trent Edwards.

uh oh..now you've gone and done it. Prepare for a Darth Ice B'slappin' now. If I had to bet on it now I'd say you're right.

Winning cures everything. If they start winning again they will be the mavericks who went against conventional wisdom.

It's been done before. If not............

Winning cures everything. If they start winning again they will be the mavericks who went against conventional wisdom.

It's been done before. If not............

Exactly. How did this crowd react when we were 5-1 after defeating the SD Chargers (LT and Rivers included) with Trent Edwards as the starting QB. This messages on this board almost makes it feel that Edwards cannot throw a ball beyond 2 yards.

The circumstances last season was just too bizzarre. Shipping your pro-bowl LT for draft picks, using a 7th rounder with no experience to be the LT after cutting the guy who moved from RT to LT thereby having neither a LT or RT. Then the new RT gets injured for the season. Plus to boot, we had canned our OC just a few days before the season.

In spite of all that, they came out of the gate firing and almost beat the NE Patriots in their own back yard.

The season did not unfold as we expected, but things just did not go our way.

Exactly...I have been saying this as well. With a OC that knows that we have a stable of able backs...our QB...which IMO will be Edwards will be able to stay on his feet...defenses have to respect we are running the ball more often than not and when we do pass...we can slow the pass rush with our running threats...our checkdown game with Spiller has just increased how dangerous it could be...a healthy Nelson gives us a strong under option and a deep threat as well...if we get another reciever to step up...I think our offense looks solid...at least a middle of the pack passing attack and a great running attack...an offense good enough to win some ball games...

I've proudly "drunk the cool-aid"...GO BILLS 11-5

The only "real" issue with Trent Edwards is his inability to survive an entire season in one piece. Honest to God, the guy is probably mid-pack among all starting QBs in this league if he is given a decent offensive system to work in. I really wish that everyone would take an oath to "zip it" for one more season....If he either fails to emerge as the Opening day starter or flames out once again by season's end, then and only then, do we loose the hounds.

Why do you think it'll be Trent? I'm hoping for Brohm to win the job. I think we kinda know what we got with Trent and fitz. But I think Brohm has the most upside. He's had a couple years now to sit and learn and maybe just maybe, given the chance, he'll start to be able to produce like he did in college. I know many may disagree, but I liked what I saw in the Atlanta game. He look poised and under control even tho he had no time in the pocket. and he was thrust into the game having only a few weeks with the team. It would be a new start for us. I'd really like to see what this kid can do. For all you guys that were clamoring for the Bills to take Clausen or another high pick on a qb, most likely we would have had to develop that pic a bit. brohm had a very productive college career and in my opinion, should be considered our high pic for a qb . He already has had 2 years to develop. I really believe he will emerge as our QB of the future.

The only "real" issue with Trent Edwards is his inability to survive an entire season in one piece. Honest to God, the guy is probably mid-pack among all starting QBs in this league if he is given a decent offensive system to work in. I really wish that everyone would take an oath to "zip it" for one more season....If he either fails to emerge as the Opening day starter or flames out once again by season's end, then and only then, do we loose the hounds.

I don't want Trent as the starter becuase each of the last 3 years he's done exactly the same thing. Comes out of the gate hitting on all cylinders and looking like the second coming of Joe Montana. Then about 4 ot 5 games later he starts to fizzle until he gets to the point where he downright sucks. In 2008, the 5-1 start and then such dismal perfomances as the Clowns game etc. Then last year he played good game againt the patsies and mortalized the bucs. Then that was it. Soom after that we had the Clown 6-3 debacle.

I guess he just can't adjust once the other team figures him out. Or, he doesn't have the attention span/motivatin to keep it going for more than a couple of months. Not sure what it is, but I've seen enough.

Unless Brohm or Brown sets the world on fire at St. John Fish and pre season, Fitz is our best bet. He sucks, but he's still our best bet.

I don't want Trent as the starter becuase each of the last 3 years he's done exactly the same thing. Comes out of the gate hitting on all cylinders and looking like the second coming of Joe Montana. Then about 4 ot 5 games later he starts to fizzle until he gets to the point where he downright sucks. In 2008, the 5-1 start and then such dismal perfomances as the Clowns game etc. Then last year he played good game againt the patsies and mortalized the bucs. Then that was it. Soom after that we had the Clown 6-3 debacle.

I guess he just can't adjust once the other team figures him out. Or, he doesn't have the attention span/motivatin to keep it going for more than a couple of months. Not sure what it is, but I've seen enough.

Unless Brohm or Brown sets the world on fire at St. John Fish and pre season, Fitz is our best bet. He sucks, but he's still our best bet.

All of this under Jauron... give it one more season, then you can kill him. Remember how good this team looked on opening night, with all of the toys and none of the injuries??? Just think about it. These Hillbillies are talking a good game, they'll either succeed or go down looking like fools after all the big talk, especially from Nix. This season this team could be more competitive than many of you think.