Conversion Linebackers

Anyone else concerned about all the Conversion LBs the Bills have on the roster now?

They were already converting Schobel (if he doesn't retire), Kelsay, and Maybin from DE to OLB and today they add 2 more via draft (Moats and Batten)

I think Nix, in the post-draft presser, said that Moats was better suited for the inside, and Batten would be the better outside guy.

Not at all. FOr the most part, most college teams don't run a 3-4 defense, so DE's are the lifeblood of the NFL 3-4 OLB.

I don't think any of these guys are projected to start early on. But now they have guys with 3-4 LB body types that they can develop as they continue to fill in this very very very empty roster.

How many teams in college run a 3-4? Like 2, Bama and Cal. Every 3-4 OLB is a conversion LB.

Batten also played some LB in packages

Exactly. Almost every 3-4 LB is converted after college. I expect the guys will do just fine. I would also expect Batten will push Maybin, who I have very little patience for at this point. That kid pulled the prima dona card and ruined his rookie year for holding out so long and doesnt seem to care he let the team down in a big way.

I think Nix, in the post-draft presser, said that Moats was better suited for the inside, and Batten would be the better outside guy.

I don't get this. Moats was a great pass rusher in college. I realize he's a bit short, but why move him inside? Elvis Dumervil is 5'11 and uses that leverage to his advantage in rushing the QB.

I agree with the above statements about all college players being conversions to the 3-4. Plus, I also strongly believe that virtually every player at every position is a "conversion" player coming into the pros. The game is so much faster that all angles to ball carriers must be relearned. All schemes. All assignments. All terminology. The guys you are covering and tackling and shedding blocks from are almost all much better and faster and stronger and quicker than who you have played against before.

The position coaches and coordinators are going to start you from the fundamentals on how they want you to do things that you have been doing since you were eight years old. And everytime they see you do it differently than they want, they yell at you and pull you aside and say do it different.

Sure, I understand the idea that if these guys were DEs and didnt drop back in coverage much that they have no experience there, but to me, it really doesn't matter because they are skilled and dedicated enough to pick it up or they are not and they're going to fail. And the guys who were used to going back in coverage are going to have to completely relearn the techniques anyway.

Anyone else concerned about all the Conversion LBs the Bills have on the roster now?

They were already converting Schobel (if he doesn't retire), Kelsay, and Maybin from DE to OLB and today they add 2 more via draft (Moats and Batten)

Not particularly. So few colleges play a 3-4 that it's rare you'll be able to draft a true 3-4 OLB. And most 4-3 OLBs project to ILB in a 3-4, so that means if you want to draft a 3-4 OLB, you need to look at 4-3 DEs.

Not every 4-3 DE can make the position switch, but since this is a rebuilding year anyway, it's a good time to find out which ones can and can't.

I don't get this. Moats was a great pass rusher in college. I realize he's a bit short, but why move him inside? Elvis Dumervil is 5'11 and uses that leverage to his advantage in rushing the QB.

Yeah, I thought they took Moats to be our version of James Harrison. A short, compact, terror off the edge..

Yeah, I thought they took Moats to be our version of James Harrison. A short, compact, terror off the edge..

I did too. MLB is kinda crowded, unless they'll move Mitchell to outside