Stop the RUN, Run The Ball

Looks like they are going really try this strategy this year instead of just talking about it. They may surprise a few teams that expect to walk over them this year.

Be nice to not to see our line pushed back three to four yards every damn running play. Maybe our safeties won't have to make all the tackles on running plays. We had to get big and we just did.

The problem with the mindset of run & stop the run first mentality is that the league has evolved into a pass first league.

Well we have a very good and deep secondary, so I am not that worried about stopping the pass. And if we can run the ball it eats the clock AND FINALLY teams have to respect our play action passing game.

The problem with the mindset of run & stop the run first mentality is that the league has evolved into a pass first league.

There is always going to be a problem...its a game of strategy. Good coaches game plan and stick to it...for the most part it is a pass first league now, I agree with that, but if teams know they can cram the ball down your throat on the ground, then the good coaches will exploit that and stick to it. Then the DB's are forced to creep in the box...and ala, the big play. We have the DB's now to play the pass and soon the balance will be there to stuff the run too.

As I said in another thread, this has been said for 20+ years, maybe even longer.

Air Coryell, West Coast Offense, Run 'N Shoot, ...

Sorry, the NFL is still a 'run the ball, stop the run' league.

Sounds good to me, pass another cup of kool-aide Buddy! The Jets didnt get to the Championship game throwing the ball. I would say only the Colts dont run well and if you have possibly the best QB EVER you dont really need much of a run game.

I love this approach, and I love the "run and stop the run" concept. Above all else, we'll get better by simply getting our defense the FUG OFF THE FIELD. How many drives have we had to watch go on and on and on because we couldn't stop anyone? It's amazing to me that we finished with the record we did given how much strain our D was under. I can't really get a feel for how much fire Carrington has in his gut just by reading about him, but it's clear as day with Troupe...the guy is a helluva hard worker and he means business. I'm excited to see him line up at the NT spot!

Yes, but, two points. First, it's not so easy to pass on third and ten or more. You have to run the football to be able to throw the football. Second, the Bills have one of the best and deepest secondaries in football. Under your theory, we should continue the Dick Jauron strategy of taking the best DB available because that way we can stop the pass. I don't think that was the point you were trying to make, was it? If so, perhaps you should review the tape of the last four years and see how that worked out. Without a big DL to stop the run and collapse the pocket, even the best secondaries are going to be ripped to shreds. If you take away one phase of the opponent's game, stopping what they're really good at becomes easier.