Notes from the upper deck

Kelly the Dog

1. First of all, Qwest is a very cool stadium. I liked it a lot, and a great day for football.

2. Obviously, this is the best total game the Bills have played since probably the opener last year, a total team effort. I am sure a lot of this stuff has already been covered ad nauseum. I probably shouldn't even post this, I should probably just PM ICE and ask him what I think, or should think, in order to not be a moron, but oh well...

3. This offense is a completely different animal than we have seen in a long time, Drew or not. ALL of the elements are better. The thing that struck me the most was the design of the plays more than the play-calling, which PROVED great (as opposed to a lot of other times when, say, a trick play was called and it blew up in our face so it was a terrible call. Everything seemed to click and work.

4. Willis is already a franchise back, and again, isn't close to being 100%. He's definitely the smartest and most naturally gifted runner we have had since Thurman. He seems to be able to push himself just enough to get by people now but he isn't close to being fast. Excluding the broken leg I would bet anyone that Travis could have beaten Willis in a 30 or 40 yard dash. He will be amazing if he gets the speed.

5. Lee Evans, obviously, was a great pick. He has the total package, too, and is really getting the knack.

6. Drew had a great game based on 95% of the Drew bashers OWN criterion. Personally I think he had a pretty good game but a great game under the circumstances of what this team needs him to do. He played excellent throughout, but threw about 5 bad passes. That's it. And they didn't hurt us. He way overthrew guys that were open in the first half but other than that he moved, he got rid of it qick, he converted third downs, he dumped the ball off, he avoided the rush, he didn't look to Moulds all the time, he threw some darts, he actually made a screen pass look fluid, the fake sneak was obviously tremendous. What more do you want. You really can't criticize this game much if you're fair. You CAN criticize him for not being able to do this consistent enough. I think that Losman could run this team probably just as well because a lot of the things that let Drew down are no longer letting the QB down.

7. Peters is not only fast but pretty darn quick, too, for a monster, and he can move the pile. He really may be the diamond in the rough. Made a few mistakes but had a pretty good game.

8. Clearly, the best coached game of the last 4-5 years, IMO. Everything they did went right. All three teams again contributed. The substitutions are starting to pay off. The OL is a unit for once no matter who they put in there.

9. I still don't like the way they use the clock at all. Some of it seems to be Drew calling timeouts although they may have instructed him to. Luckily it didn't hurt us but we waste far too many at the wrong times, IMO.

10. I get on Nate Clements a lot, and he was burned a few times although it didnt hurt us at all, but he was excellent in tackling this game and laid a few big hits all over the field.

11. Finally, I really feel bad for Travis. This is going to cost him again. But I think if fans would open their eyes, this game as much as any game, showed why we need to keep him, or get someone like him. You need two good RBs in this game. That freakish leg break could easily have been Willis, and then what? A few times Willis got banged up and we had to go to #3. Frankly, I don't think we should trade Travis unless someone gives us what he is worth, which ain't gonna happen, in all likelihood.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I really think this offense is better without Josh Reed as well. Addition by subtraction when you take away all his drops. Will be interesting to see what happens when he comes back.

2. Towards the end of the game on TV, they showed the "highlight" of Jacksonville's winning catch against the Bills in the first game of the season. Really reminded me how much better off we are with Wire and Reese out of the lineup. They were both right around the ball in that play against Jacksonville and the receiverd still came down with it. Would that happen with Baker and Milloy back there instead????

Good Post!

I have to admit, I am becoming a regular Bledsoe basher, but I also have to say.... He did very well yesterday. He threw some bad passes, but he recovered and was able to go back out and throw good ones on the next series. He did not fall down after throwing the picks.

This team looked good for one week, lets hope we can do the same in Miami next week.

I hate to say it, but if Bledsoe can play the rest of the season like he did yesterday, and we win a bunch more games, I really can't see him not being the starter next year. Any thoughts? Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

8. Clearly, the best coached game of the last 4-5 years, IMO. Everything they did went right. All three teams again contributed. The substitutions are starting to pay off. The OL is a unit for once no matter who they put in there.

137545[/snapback]

The OLine has really impressed me over the last few weeks. McNally's "magic" is really making an impact -- they are *much* better in pass protection than at the start of the season. Having a RB that knows how to pick up blitzes helps immensely, too.

The running game is lagging a bit, but still improved from last year. WM is much better than TH at making something out of nothing, though -- witness that TD yesterday. And I can't remember a Bills running back that is able to move the pile like WM.

Before the season started, we were all saying it would take until midseason to really see an improvement in the OLine. Well, folks, it's happened. Big-time props to them.

Good Post!

I have to admit, I am becoming a regular Bledsoe basher, but I also have to say....  He did very well yesterday.  He threw some bad passes, but he recovered and was able to go back out and throw good ones on the next series.  He did not fall down after throwing the picks. 

This team looked good for one week, lets hope we can do the same in Miami next week.

I hate to say it, but if Bledsoe can play the rest of the season like he did yesterday, and we win a bunch more games, I really can't see him not being the starter next year.  Any thoughts?  Anybody?  Anybody?  Bueller?

137588[/snapback]

I said that about a month ago. I was informed that I was an KzooMike fool who didn't know anything about football. To me, it's more to do with Losman being ready to play. Buffalo could be in a position to make a SERIOUS run next year. The pieces are there, and they have learned to mesh. One would think that you don't just toss a rookie QB into that to start the season. It makes very, very poor tactical sense to me. The Bills are structuring somewhat like the Raven's SB team. That type of philosophy doesn't require a Peyton Manning.

Thanks for the view.

Now tell us what we really want to know: How was the beer? Do they have Hale's Pale Ale at the Stadium? How about Alaskan?

How about the rest of Seattle? Did you make it down to Pioneer Square?

That's all fine and dandy, but we beat up on another mediocre team - which is a good thing. We are supposed to beat up mediocre teams, so it's definitely a step forward.

You asked what more could we want out of Bledsoe.... I dunno - do you weant to kick the snot out of Arizona or do you want to win a playoff game? You want to beat the bottom half of the league then I guess we couldn't ask for anything more.

However, if you ever desire to watch the Bills in at least mid-January - then you better have someone who isn't turning the ball over 3 times a game. Turnovers lose games - ESPECIALLY playoff games. Our last playoff game listed our QB with 2 fumbles and 1 INT.

Games are won or lost on "5 bad throws" or other type plays. This league is built around minimizing mistakes these days. Make fewer bad plays than your opponent and you are in good shape. 3 INT's are BAD win/lose/tie. They should NEVER be excused.

Thanks for the view.

Now tell us what we really want to know:  How was the beer?  Do they have Hale's Pale Ale at the Stadium?  How about Alaskan?

How about the rest of Seattle?  Did you make it down to Pioneer Square?

137609[/snapback]

All kinds of good beer at the stadium, and pretty good grub, too. The local's favorite is the garlic fries, which were great. And great food outside the stadium before game time. I didn't go to Pioneer this time but have been to seattle many, many times (sister lives here). It's one of my favorite cities. When the schedule came out I suggested to the whole family that we celebrate Thanksgiving in Seattle, and they thought I was being very nice to my sister. Ha.

That's all fine and dandy, but we beat up on another mediocre team - which is a good thing.  We are supposed to beat up mediocre teams, so it's definitely a step forward.

That "mediocre" team was leading their division and has the #1 runningback in the NFL.

CW

1. I really think this offense is better without Josh Reed as well.  Addition by subtraction when you take away all his drops.  Will be interesting to see what happens when he comes back.

2. Towards the end of the game on TV, they showed the "highlight" of Jacksonville's winning catch against the Bills in the first game of the season.  Really reminded me how much better off we are with Wire and Reese out of the lineup.  They were both right around the ball in that play against Jacksonville and the receiverd still came down with it.  Would that happen with Baker and Milloy back there instead????

137580[/snapback]

True, but don't forget that Spikes was covering the guy as well and had his back to the play the whole time. Never knew the ball was coming.

That's all fine and dandy, but we beat up on another mediocre team - which is a good thing.  We are supposed to beat up mediocre teams, so it's definitely a step forward.

You asked what more could we want out of Bledsoe.... I dunno - do you weant to kick the snot out of Arizona or do you want to win a playoff game?  You want to beat the bottom half of the league then I guess we couldn't ask for anything more.

However, if you ever desire to watch the Bills in at least mid-January - then you better have someone who isn't turning the ball over 3 times a game.  Turnovers lose games - ESPECIALLY playoff games.  Our last playoff game listed our QB with 2 fumbles and 1 INT.

Games are won or lost on "5 bad throws" or other type plays.  This league is built around minimizing mistakes these days.  Make fewer bad plays than your opponent and you are in good shape. 3 INT's are BAD win/lose/tie.  They should NEVER be excused.

137616[/snapback]

Can't really argue with you on this, but then again...in the NFL, a mediocre team is a dangerous team. Beating a mediocre team is a good thing, as you say, but manhandling a mediocre team on the road is something more significant.

If we had throttled Seattle like this with the game in Buffalo, I'd be happy. Doing it in Seattle is another ball of wax.

All kinds of good beer at the stadium, and pretty good grub, too. The local's favorite is the gralic fries, which were great. And great food outside the stadium before game time. I didn't go to Pioneer this time but have been to seattle many, many times (sister lives here). It's one of my favorite cities. When the schedule came out I suggested to the whole family that we celebrate Thanksgiving in Seattle, and they thought I was being very nice to my sister. Ha.

137626[/snapback]

I hope you at least hit Pikes Brew Club, and had a Steak at the Met. Love their smokey met martini.

You asked what more could we want out of Bledsoe.... I dunno - do you weant to kick the snot out of Arizona or do you want to win a playoff game?  You want to beat the bottom half of the league then I guess we couldn't ask for anything more.

However, if you ever desire to watch the Bills in at least mid-January - then you better have someone who isn't turning the ball over 3 times a game.  Turnovers lose games - ESPECIALLY playoff games.  Our last playoff game listed our QB with 2 fumbles and 1 INT.

Games are won or lost on "5 bad throws" or other type plays.  This league is built around minimizing mistakes these days.  Make fewer bad plays than your opponent and you are in good shape. 3 INT's are BAD win/lose/tie.  They should NEVER be excused.

137616[/snapback]

Depends on how you want to view the game. How many playoff games were lost when your QB led team puts up 38 points on the board and 400 yards and 70% 3rd down conversions along with his 3 INTs? Not many if any. I meant what more could you want out of this game. And if you want your QB throwing for 400 yards and scoring 38 points and converting 3rd downs all over and passing to 9 different receivers and NOT throwing any bad passes, then you are asking for a little too much. I don't think he had a fantastic game, but he played pretty well.

Depends on how you want to view the game. How many playoff games were lost when your QB led team puts up 38 points on the board and 400 yards and 70% 3rd down conversions along with his 3 INTs? Not many if any. I meant what more could you want out of this game. And if you want your QB throwing for 400 yards and scoring 38 points and converting 3rd downs all over and passing to 9 different receivers and NOT throwing any bad passes, then you are asking for a little too much. I don't think he had a fantastic game, but he played pretty well.

137644[/snapback]

you are confusing the issues here. More than likely, a playoff team is not going to allow us to dominate them on the road like this sinking Seahawks team, so those offensive numbers don't translate. However, mistakes that are under one's own control are probably better indicators of future performance when the lights are bright, the opponents are good, and the ass is puckered.

Perhaps you are thinking this is the SB winning Rams offense that could afford turnovers. I would suggest they are not. You asked a question - I gave an answer. Protect the football. It's an important part of the game.

Guest Guest_Coach_Tuesday

Here is the problem: yesterday, the defense and McGahee bailed out Bledsoe. Unfortunately, Bledsoe has NEVER bailed out the defense or running game when their roles have been reversed. Good QBs - PLAYOFF QBs - will do that from time to time. Think Manning's bailed out his D a few times? Favre? Think McNair's bailed out his running game over the years? That's the point.

Here is the problem:  yesterday, the defense and McGahee bailed out Bledsoe.  Unfortunately, Bledsoe has NEVER bailed out the defense or running game when their roles have been reversed.  Good QBs - PLAYOFF QBs - will do that from time to time.  Think Manning's bailed out his D a few times?  Favre?  Think McNair's bailed out his running game over the years?  That's the point.

137693[/snapback]

Please show me how McGahee bailed out Bledsoe. Before you post, read this thread:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=11116&st=0

Specifically my first post where I give a play by play of our first 5 scoring drives. Notice that we had 50 yards rushing on our first 4 scoring drives, giving us a 24-3 lead.

No way did the running game "bail us out." Even Willis' 30 yard TD "run" could be cnosidered a pass since it was the fake QB draw where Bledsoe threw it to the sidelines.

CW