Nawrocki predicts Spiller

I'm all for taking an impact player at 9 rather than reaching to fill a need at QB, OL or DL. However, RB is the deepest position on the roster outside of DB. Not to mention, the role RBs play are becoming devalued by the hour in the modern NFL where rule changes and schemes favor passing attacks.

So to waste a high pick on a RB and tie up a ton of cap space on a position where teams can, and do, find way more production for less money by picking up quality (if not stud) RBs in other ways other than the first round would be a failure of epic proportions.

Even if Spiller goes on to be a pro bowl RB. It's a waste of a pick.

But if you have a QB who insists on checking down, might as well give him an outlet who can take a dump off to the house...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a new sheriff in town. I think there's no way they're drafting Spiller.

I'm hoping the Bills FO is posturing, so that someone else will trade up into the #9 spot to get Spiller. That's the only thing that makes sense to me with so many other holes in our team to fill. RB is not a glaring need for the Bills. OT, DT, QB are.

Dan Williams should be our man.

I'm all for taking an impact player at 9 rather than reaching to fill a need at QB, OL or DL. However, RB is the deepest position on the roster outside of DB. Not to mention, the role RBs play are becoming devalued by the hour in the modern NFL where rule changes and schemes favor passing attacks.

So to waste a high pick on a RB and tie up a ton of cap space on a position where teams can, and do, find way more production for less money by picking up quality (if not stud) RBs in other ways other than the first round would be a failure of epic proportions.

Even if Spiller goes on to be a pro bowl RB. It's a waste of a pick.

Not really, Gailey runs a spread offense. Think Thurman in our passing KGun offense. That is what Spiller would do for us.

If we followed it up with Saffold in the 2nd, and then Linval Joseph in the third; then traded for Thigpen or Campbell (just by saying these two names someone will jump down my throat I'm sure), I'd be happy. We could draft a QB next year.

Rumor is that Saffold won't last past Indy at 31.

I'm hoping the Bills FO is posturing, so that someone else will trade up into the #9 spot to get Spiller. That's the only thing that makes sense to me with so many other holes in our team to fill. RB is not a glaring need for the Bills. OT, DT, QB are.

Dan Williams should be our man.

First round DT/NTs scare the heck out of me. I remember reading an article a couple of weeks ago that showed the horrible success rates of first round DT/NTs. That there was something about these large men getting so much money that a lot of the time it saps their hunger for the game. I have a feeling that Williams could be one of those kind of guys. If they pick him at #9, I hope I'm wrong.

Not really, Gailey runs a spread offense. Think Thurman in our passing KGun offense. That is what Spiller would do for us.

If we take a RB at 9, having Freddie and Lynch still on the roster, he damn well better be the second coming of Barry Sanders.

Ya, if he turned out to be nearly as good as Chris Johnson, would you still sing the same tune?

Yes. Because I would argue, and be correct, in saying you could find equal production for far less cap dollars (and lower picks) later on at RB.

Plus, how many super bowls has Chris Johnson won? How many playoff games even?

RBs are NOT worth first round picks in the modern NFL. Sorry. It's just how the game is.

That said, if the Bills DO take Spiller, I will root like hell for him to be the man and hope to be totally wrong. But it will be the first red flag the front office has raised saying they will be no different than the last three regimes. And the Bills will be stuck at the bottom yet again.

Sure. But we already have Jackson who's capable of doing that. Not to mention we could find several other lower cost RBs to fill that role without wasting a valuable top 10 pick on a guy who's shelf life is less than 8 years.

This is exactly what I have been thinking recently. I know the team currently has Fred jackson, and with a young elite level RB on the roster who just might gain yards instead of dancing behind the line(leastmode), in my opinion, makes the #9 pick the best 1st round pick in years due to the potential of having an immediate impact. Unless there's a 1 or 2 rated pass rusher or O-linemen on the board, I think it's risky to draft one of these QBs this high. Spiller at #9 makes this pick very relevant, and incase anyone hasn't noticed, thre really hasn't been a top takent RB in Buffalo since Thurman left town.

Dump Marshawn to a team with a need for a dancer who like to run into tacklers, get some picks out of the deal, and make the most of them.