Top al-Qaida leaders killed in Iraq, US says

So four dead and they seemed the ones with the best intelligence. The rest were arrested, but I suppose they may have been outside of the house. Still, this seems very much a positive.

Al-Maliki said ground forces surrounded the house and that rockets were fired from the air.

The two al-Qaida leaders were inside the house. Al-Masri's assistant and al-Baghdadi's son, both suspected of being involved in terrorist attacks, also died in the raid and 16 other suspects were arrested, the military said.

I was going to use my 3000th post for something else, but I thought this was a good story. Well, other than discovering Biden was the point man on Iraq. :rolleyes:

But Biden, President Barack Obama's point person on Iraq, said the deaths of the al-Qaida leaders underscored their overall improvement.

"The Iraqis led this operation, and it was based on intelligence the Iraqi security forces themselves developed," said Biden, who came before reporters in the White House briefing room to draw added attention to the results.

So four dead and they seemed the ones with the best intelligence. The rest were arrested, but I suppose they may have been outside of the house. Still, this seems very much a positive.

I was going to use my 3000th post for something else, but I thought this was a good story. Well, other than discovering Biden was the point man on Iraq. :rolleyes:

Yeah, they'll probably bring those sixteen survivors to the US for trial... :thumbsup:

So yesterday's Al Quaida in Iraq leaders are dead. That makes room for tomorrow's Al Quaida in Iraq leaders. When will the US realize we don't understand the culture that spawns these issues, conflicts and relationships? Pack it up and move it out...save our energy and resources for more pressing needs. Let's step out at least two concentric circles and guard our liberties from that vantage point.

So yesterday's Al Quaida in Iraq leaders are dead. That makes room for tomorrow's Al Quaida in Iraq leaders. When will the US realize we don't understand the culture that spawns these issues, conflicts and relationships? Pack it up and move it out...save our energy and resources for more pressing needs. Let's step out at least two concentric circles and guard our liberties from that vantage point.

You have a real solid grasp of how the world works.

You have a real solid grasp of how the world works.

I don't think he does either but I agree with him on this one. Do you think it matters much when AQ Iraq loses a leader? Sure it sets them back for a moment but they aren't a centralized organization with some formal top-down hierarchy.

I don't think he does either but I agree with him on this one. Do you think it matters much when AQ Iraq loses a leader? Sure it sets them back for a moment but they aren't a centralized organization with some formal top-down hierarchy.

My first thought, when I first heard this story, was "Again?" :devil:

You can kill the Ace of Spades* a lot of times.

*Not an invitation for the resident troll to post.

Which one? Oh, I get it now. For a minute I thought you were talking about that Queen of Spades with the manly avatar obviously being used as a disguise.

While I consider this a positive as I said, my actual issue was this:

So four dead and they seemed the ones with the best intelligence.

This was handled by the Iraqis mostly from what I understand. Their intelligence, a lot of their forces, so how do these four end up dead? These are the people you want. Anyone got anymore information?

This was handled by the Iraqis mostly from what I understand. Their intelligence, a lot of their forces, so how do these four end up dead? These are the people you want. Anyone got anymore information?

If someone would rather be killed than captured, it's REALLY difficult to capture rather than kill them.

If someone would rather be killed than captured, it's REALLY difficult to capture rather than kill them.

I understand that suicide is a possibility, but there is nothing that indicates that. Sure they may be concealing that, I grant you. I haven't heard of lots of these upper level guys committing suicide though. Is that what happened in your opinion? *winces

I understand that suicide is a possibility, but there is nothing that indicates that. Sure they may be concealing that, I grant you. I haven't heard of lots of these upper level guys committing suicide though. Is that what happened in your opinion? *winces

I didn't say "suicide", !@#$wit. If a guy wants to fight to the death, you pretty much have to kill him or let him go. Your options get seriously narrowed if the guy you're trying to capture has absolutely no desire to surrender.

You're not conner; think it through. How do you capture a gomer who doesn't want to be captured? (And if you say anything along the lines of "gas him with narcotic sleepytime gas", I WILL verbally pound the **** out of you.) How did they do it with the Japanese on Iwo?

I didn't say "suicide", !@#$wit. If a guy wants to fight to the death, you pretty much have to kill him or let him go. Your options get seriously narrowed if the guy you're trying to capture has absolutely no desire to surrender.

You're not conner; think it through. How do you capture a gomer who doesn't want to be captured? (And if you say anything along the lines of "gas him with narcotic sleepytime gas", I WILL verbally pound the **** out of you.) How did they do it with the Japanese on Iwo?

<_<

Knew I would get a bit of pounding over that. Generally speaking, you surround them with overwhelming force and hope they surrender, if not you kill them all. Specifically speaking for Iwo Jima IIRC they just killed them all.

My guess in this case they bombed the house and killed the 4 inside, while the 16 outside gave up to overwhelming force. Still, the details are scanty and I guessed you missed my point since 4 of 20 killed is somewhat different than the Japanese death ratio on Iwo Jima.