Buckets for the Cure

Just saw an advertisement on TV for KFC's "Buckets for the Cure", which will donate money to breast cancer research. Fatty, salty foods (especially from fast food joints) have been proven to be a major contributor to heart disease, strokes, high blood pressure, along with almost every type of cancer (there's a reason Americans suffer so much more cancer than the rest of the world).

I just think it's funny that KFC is pretending to give a flying f*ck about anybody's health. If they had their way, we'd all spend 50% of our income at their restaurant and die at the age of 40. :rolleyes:

Agree with your point but it seems that every company and celebrity out there is wanting to get in on the goodwill generated from these campaigns. One potential problem is that sadly there may be many Americans that fail to realize, in spite of the information available that fast food is a major contributor to health issues.

Agree with your point but it seems that every company and celebrity out there is wanting to get in on the goodwill generated from these campaigns. One potential problem is that sadly there may be many Americans that fail to realize, in spite of the information available that fast food is a major contributor to health issues.

I don't have a ton of sympathy for people who abuse fast food and suffer health consequences. Even without the proper information (which virtually everybody knows at this point), it should be apparent which foods are bad for you just based on how they make your body feel. Fast food might be good to your tastebuds, but everybody who's eaten it a few times knows how lazy/crappy you feel afterwards.

This isn't even to mention the obesity. People eat fast food 10 times a week and then wonder why they weigh 300 pounds or more?

I just don't like the hypocrisy of KFC, trying to pretend like they're out for society's best interest. If they wanted to do something to prevent cancer, they'd shut down operations.

I don't have a ton of sympathy for people who abuse fast food and suffer health consequences. Even without the proper information (which virtually everybody knows at this point), it should be apparent which foods are bad for you just based on how they make your body feel. Fast food might be good to your tastebuds, but everybody who's eaten it a few times knows how lazy/crappy you feel afterwards.

This isn't even to mention the obesity. People eat fast food 10 times a week and then wonder why they weigh 300 pounds or more?

I just don't like the hypocrisy of KFC, trying to pretend like they're out for society's best interest. If they wanted to do something to prevent cancer, they'd shut down operations.

I see your point but is it KFC's fault that people eat crap?

I was 40 pounds overweight for the last 5 years, not because anyone forced me to eat it, it's because I made a conscious choice.

It's not nutella's fault if they made money off me :bag:

That's funny Sage....the same thought hit me when I saw that commercial.

Yeah I get it, companies that sell dangerous and irresponsible products are trying to bolster their image and we shouldn't be turning up our noses at any donations to cancer research. But it might be nice if there were any kind of standards for how food is grown/raised/processed in this country.

I see your point but is it KFC's fault that people eat crap?

I was 40 pounds overweight for the last 5 years, not because anyone forced me to eat it, it's because I made a conscious choice.

It's not nutella's fault if they made money off me :bag:

No, it's not. I just don't like the notion of them telling us that eating buckets of KFC chicken is somehow going to HELP the fight against cancer.

Unfortunately, people eat fast food for three reasons...

1. They're conditioned to think, the fattier the tastier.

2. It's cheap.

3. It's quick

I wish there was a cheap, quick restaurant that sold legitimately healthy food, as opposed to your standard burgers, fries, fried chicken, etc. People are never going to stop eating fast food. Never. It's a permanent part of the American ethos. But shouldn't there be a joint where you can get couscous or quinoa instead of french fries?

I saw another KFC commercial this morning, for something called the "Double Down Sandwich". Basically it's a "sandwich" where the bread is two huge pieces of fried chicken, and the sandwhich material is bacon, cheese, and some sort of mayo. Honestly people...this is what we're putting in our bodies? This generation of children is the first in centuries that will have a lower life expectancy than their parents, and it's because of sh*t like the Double Down Sandwich.

Last night for dinner, I had a nice piece of grilled chicken breast, with sides of broccoli and brown rice pilaf. It was as cheap a dinner as you can imagine (probably cost the same as a KFC meal), didn't take long to prepare, and tasted good. Who knew you could eat chicken without the heart attack inducing fried skin???

Sorry for the rant, folks.

Stuart Mackenzie: Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.

Tony Giardino: So who's in this Pentavirate?

Stuart Mackenzie: The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettys, The Rothschilds, *and* Colonel Sanders before he went breasts up. Oh, I hated the Colonel with is wee *beady* eyes, and that smug look on his face. "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"

Charlie Mackenzie: Dad, how can you hate "The Colonel"?

Stuart Mackenzie: Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, smartass!

I saw another KFC commercial this morning, for something called the "Double Down Sandwich". Basically it's a "sandwich" where the bread is two huge pieces of fried chicken, and the sandwhich material is bacon, cheese, and some sort of mayo. Honestly people...this is what we're putting in our bodies?

It's not like the bread/buns you get at restaurants are any good either...

No, it's not. I just don't like the notion of them telling us that eating buckets of KFC chicken is somehow going to HELP the fight against cancer.

Unfortunately, people eat fast food for three reasons...

1. They're conditioned to think, the fattier the tastier.

2. It's cheap.

3. It's quick

I wish there was a cheap, quick restaurant that sold legitimately healthy food, as opposed to your standard burgers, fries, fried chicken, etc. People are never going to stop eating fast food. Never. It's a permanent part of the American ethos. But shouldn't there be a joint where you can get couscous or quinoa instead of french fries?

There are where I live. Maybe you should try expanding this franchise in your area :nana:

http://www.chopcrazy.com/

http://www.laitue-go.com/salad-bar.html

There are 3 in the mall next to my office and they do pretty well. I'm sure if there was a market for it though, you'd see more of these kind of fast food outlets.

It's not like the bread/buns you get at restaurants are any good either...

One is high in simple hunger generating carbohydrates and the other is high in cholesterol accumulating saturated fat.

Funny thing is, the other day I bought two lean patties and some brown whole wheat bread (I haven't had a burger in 4 months). I analyzed the calorie consumption. Two burgers, and 2 slices of toast totaled 900 calories. If the average person needs 2000 +/- 300 calories in a day to function, how can someone eat this on a regular basis and not become overweight??

One is high in simple hunger generating carbohydrates and the other is high in cholesterol accumulating saturated fat.

Funny thing is, the other day I bought two lean patties and some brown whole wheat bread (I haven't had a burger in 4 months). I analyzed the calorie consumption. Two burgers, and 2 slices of toast totaled 900 calories. If the average person needs 2000 +/- 300 calories in a day to function, how can someone eat this on a regular basis and not become overweight??

Well if you lead an active lifestyle, you probably need more than 2,000 calories per day anyway. Counting calories isn't an exact science (an oversimplification, really) but here's a nifty calculator to use as a rule of thumb...

http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm

I'm 6 foot 1, about 190 pounds, get about an hour of exercise each day...so I'm just above 3,000 calories per day.

There are where I live. Maybe you should try expanding this franchise in your area :nana:

http://www.chopcrazy.com/

http://www.laitue-go.com/salad-bar.html

There are 3 in the mall next to my office and they do pretty well. I'm sure if there was a market for it though, you'd see more of these kind of fast food outlets.

Interesting, I'd never heard of those places. Seems west-coasty, is that where they're at?

Personally, I never realized how bad bread and mayo was for you until I went to Jimmy John's website. You buy a sandwich that has lettuce and tomatos, and you think you're making a decent food choice. NOT!

http://jimmyjohns.com/menu/nutrition.aspx?id=1239

The bread alone is over half the calories... And the mayo is 90% of the fat (Glad I don't like mayo!).

Well if you lead an active lifestyle, you probably need more than 2,000 calories per day anyway. Counting calories isn't an exact science (an oversimplification, really) but here's a nifty calculator to use as a rule of thumb...

http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm

I'm 6 foot 1, about 190 pounds, get about an hour of exercise each day...so I'm just above 3,000 calories per day.

From now till June 6th, I'll be more sedentary (except for 40 minutes total back/forth to work walking and 30-45 minutes of cardio while watching whatever playoff game is on) until my exam is done. Once that's over, it's 1h30 a day including weightlifting and cardio.