Email space at work

JoeFerguson

I like to keep all emails for my records. For personal use, I use gmail. I can track events in my life simply by searching my email.

At work, we are only given 80 MB. You can email the IT guy and ask for more, but you only get upped to 100 MB. I constantly get the "Inbox full" message. In this day and age, is it too much to ask to just give me at least a gig? My boss prints out paper copies of emails and puts them in his "files", then he deletes the email. This is insane to me, but then again, haven't been here for long so who am I to rock the boat.

How much space do other people get?

600MB and I still get close to the limit sometimes, but I'm a special case. :lol: Most employees here get about half that. 100 MB is pretty low.

Do you have achieve folders? You just need to change your settings to achieve stuff sooner.

600MB and I still get close to the limit sometimes, but I'm a special case. :lol: Most employees here get about half that. 100 MB is pretty low.

Do you have achieve folders? You just need to change your settings to achieve stuff sooner.

Yes I can archive, but it is not the same since it's stored locally on my computer. I want the onus to be on someone else, like the IT DEPARTMENT!!! Store it on the server!

Yes I can archive, but it is not the same since it's stored locally on my computer. I want the onus to be on someone else, like the IT DEPARTMENT!!! Store it on the server!

and this right here folks, is why your IT guy is always miserable and acts like they hate you.

:lol:

We only have 20mb. My inbox is constantly getting full. The worst thing is that we use OWA and activesync is disabled, so you cannot save them locally at home on a pst file or through mac mail/thunderbird/etc. Luckilly, I have the unadvertised, super secret, exchange server address to use outlook at work so I can save a local PST file of all sent and received emails. As a teacher, you need to save EVERYTHING! 20mb, plus crippling the ability to attach the exchange server to a client software program is absolutely insane. However, my pst backup file is saved on the computer at work, on a thumb drive, and on my mac at home (which in turn backs up to a usb time machine partition, which in turn backs up to a raid 1 NAS. Overkill at its finest!)

In this day and age, is it too much to ask to just give me at least a gig?

A gig for you, a gig for me, a gig for the guy next to you, and the guy next to him, and the guy next to him, etc...all those gigs add up.

And all those gigs need backed up for redundancy against hard drive crashes and just in case you really did need that email you deleted a month ago

and this right here folks, is why your IT guy is always miserable and acts like they hate you.

:lol:

+1

And honestly when people complain about how their computer at home has more space, a faster processer, can run a particular application or peripheral., and doesn't block a website...we don't really care. You're not at home

Now get back to work

A gig for you, a gig for me, a gig for the guy next to you, and the guy next to him, and the guy next to him, etc...all those gigs add up.

And all those gigs need backed up for redundancy against hard drive crashes and just in case you really did need that email you deleted a month ago

+1

And honestly when people complain about how their computer at home has more space, a faster processer, can run a particular application or peripheral., and doesn't block a website...we don't really care. You're not at home

Now get back to work

+500,000,000

A big reason for small mailboxes actually isn't even about IT -- it's about legal. Small mailbox means if your company is sued, you have less documents to provide to the prosecution. Everyone loves to blame IT for everything, when half of the stuff they complain about actually comes from the internal audit department - that group just doesn''t get blamed...

200MB.

Is it really that hard for people to archive?

it's the end of the world if you ask people to do anything. god forbid you CHANGE anything either.

"OH MY GOD, A NEW PHONE SYSTEM?!? HOW DO I DIAL THIS THING? WHAT END OF THE HANDSET DO I TALK INTO?!?"

Look over your emails and meeting requests. I'm sure that some of the "OK" responses can be deleted from the In an Sent boxes, as well as meeting requests.

Also, look at taking attachments from emails and storing them somewhere else other than your email.

Look over your emails and meeting requests. I'm sure that some of the "OK" responses can be deleted from the In an Sent boxes, as well as meeting requests.

Also, look at taking attachments from emails and storing them somewhere else other than your email.

Especially the attachments on your SENT mail. Since you attached it you most likely have a copy on your hard drive.

Just checked, I had no idea but I knew it was a lot right now I'm at 709537 KB, I've been with the same company for almost 9 years. I'm sure there are tons of stupid emails I could delete but the bulk of it is in attachments I will probably never use but am hesitant to delete....