Anybody Watch "Treme"

plenzmd1

So, not sure if anybody else here is watching this show. Premiered on Sunday on HBO. Written by David Simon, who also did the Wire.

First off, I thought it was great. I just watched it last night, but can't wait for more. So many great actors(from the Wire, Deadwood etc), and Simon gets me wrapped up in the characters right from the get go. I was worried maybe this would be for Simon what John from Cincinnati was for Milch..so relieved to see this appears to be right up there with the Wire.

Anyway, was doing some surfing about the show and came upon this blog that explains a bunch of the "inside" stuff for us northern boys not familiar with all the local customs/characters/places of New Orleans.

http://www.nola.com/treme-hbo/index.ssf/20..._do_you_kn.html

Curious if others watched, and what your opinion was?

Also, found this. David Mills, who worked with Simon on the Wire and was an executive producer/writer here, sadly died suddenly last week i think. Here is the link to that

http://www.hbo.com/#/treme/about/article/r...ing-david-mills

So, not sure if anybody else here is watching this show. Premiered on Sunday on HBO. Written by David Simon, who also did the Wire.

First off, I thought it was great. I just watched it last night, but can't wait for more. So many great actors(from the Wire, Deadwood etc), and Simon gets me wrapped up in the characters right from the get go. I was worried maybe this would be for Simon what John from Cincinnati was for Milch..so relieved to see this appears to be right up there with the Wire.

Anyway, was doing some surfing about the show and came upon this blog that explains a bunch of the "inside" stuff for us northern boys not familiar with all the local customs/characters/places of New Orleans.

http://www.nola.com/treme-hbo/index.ssf/20..._do_you_kn.html

Curious if others watched, and what your opinion was?

Also, found this. David Mills, who worked with Simon on the Wire and was an executive producer/writer here, sadly died suddenly last week i think. Here is the link to that

http://www.hbo.com/#/treme/about/article/r...ing-david-mills

only one episode and I'm already a little obsessed with Treme. I am a huge David Simon--for my money Homicide and Wire are the two best shows man have yet made.

Treme is killing me in how honest it feels. Even though I am fully aware of the actors, I never once feel like I'm watching steve zahn or john goodman. Really amazing stuff

• 2 months later...

"Wish Somebody Would Care" this past Sunday was tough. Saw it coming a mile away, but still didn't think it would happen. Gonna be even harder to watch the season finale.

:lol:

Glad the roof is getting fixed at Gigi's, though. :devil:

That's one damn well written, directed, acted and edited show. I doubt any dramatic show in the history of television has used music this effectively. And I know it's a bold statement and it's only been about eight episodes of its first season. The music, however, is so tremendous, so well integrated, and basically, the main character, that it's an experience to watch each episode. Great, great show. Immediately one of my favorites.

I have wathed the first 6 episdoes, and plan on catching up this week, before the finale. I am blown away by how good it is. I have spent most of my adult life around great, but struggling musicians, and this comes closer to portraying these people with dignity, in a subtle way (only "Crazy Heart" comes as close) that most deserve. The story, ripped from the headlines as it is, is heartbreaking. Steve Zahns' character is the only slight annoyance in the show for me, but he seems to be gettting a little more believable.

It's funny, for years I have had people tell me I would love "The Wire" (also a David Simon show), and I have tried, but I never got into it. I watched "The Corner" years ago, and enjoyed it (as much as you can enjoy something so brutal), but the "The Wire" just never gripped me...I have seen only the first season. Maybe I gotta go back and give it another try.

"Wish Somebody Would Care" this past Sunday was tough. Saw it coming a mile away, but still didn't think it would happen. Gonna be even harder to watch the season finale.

:huh:

Glad the roof is getting fixed at Gigi's, though. :mellow:

That sequence on the boat is one of the best shot/edited setpieces I have ever seen. Even though I was sure what was going to happen, the way they were able to build doubt and dread is awe inspiring. Such a brilliant brilliant show. Drag the season is over this sunday.

That sequence on the boat is one of the best shot/edited setpieces I have ever seen. Even though I was sure what was going to happen, the way they were able to build doubt and dread is awe inspiring. Such a brilliant brilliant show. Drag the season is over this sunday.

"Everything will be on the test, and the test will be everything. Fear not, for at the end every one of us will be tested, and every one of us will be found wanting."

I thought, "How could he do that to that little girl who idolizes him?" Highlights depression, doesn't it?

Anyway, I thought the bouncer's line was pretty good: "I'm from the state of Texas, ma'am," Arnie says. "No disrespect? But y'all got a defective work ethic down here."

I thought, "How could he do that to that little girl who idolizes him?" Highlights depression, doesn't it?

Anyway, I thought the bouncer's line was pretty good: "I'm from the state of Texas, ma'am," Arnie says. "No disrespect? But y'all got a defective work ethic down here."

Haven't looked it up, or read anything about it, but I immediately thought, "damn, they must've only locked up Goodman for one year."

Haven't looked it up, or read anything about it, but I immediately thought, "damn, they must've only locked up Goodman for one year."

On IMDb, it has him listed for 20 episodes. I guess that's not really concrete, unless he's got some sort of Sam Simon deal.

:thumbsup:

Glad the roof is getting fixed at Gigi's, though. :lol:

Great season finale. There are few shows so well written. Like the "Sopranos" and "Friday Night Lights", it just captures the small things in life that you just can't write...the acting is so good too. The woman who plays John Goodmans' wife, and Khandi Alexander are amazing...

Great season finale. There are few shows so well written. Like the "Sopranos" and "Friday Night Lights", it just captures the small things in life that you just can't write...the acting is so good too. The woman who plays John Goodmans' wife, and Khandi Alexander are amazing...

Agreed. And "Friday Night Lights" is a ridiculously underrated show. I would especially think people on this board would love it, although its football aspects are not the best part of it (not to say they're not good as well, they're superb).

It started off slow but it has really picked up. I look forward to it every week. Sucks about John Goodman because I really enjoyed him. I'm predicting very bad things coming Sonny's way. and annie is one of those girls who doesn't strike you as being amazingly hot but gets cuter every time you see her.

Sucks that you have to wait for a year for the new episodes. Maybe I should actually watch the Wire like everyone tells me to do.

Man, bummer this show is over. Really liked reading the blog in the Times Picayune the morning after the show..learnrd so much about New Orleans that I had no clue of before this show. I have only been once, and did the typical tourist stuff for a weekend, but will look to get to some of the spots highlighted in the show next time down.

BTW, who else is putting in a "second line requirement" in their will besides me?

Simon sent Levinson his book "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets". Levinson worked to get it developed for TV. Wiki

From what I know, Homicide the series was mostly Tom Fontana, who was the Executive Producer along with Levinson and I believe the showrunner. He's from Buffalo and a great writer and producer. Levinson likely brought him in to run the show.

From what I know, Homicide the series was mostly Tom Fontana, who was the Executive Producer along with Levinson and I believe the showrunner. He's from Buffalo and a great writer and producer. Levinson likely brought him in to run the show.

Lots of Buffalo references in that show. Isabella Hoffman's character was named Megan Russert and was supposed to be a cousin of Tim Russert. I recall Ned Beatty's character (Stan Bolander) waxing poetic about the resiliency of the Bills, but I can't find a reference.

Good stuff. :thumbsup:

It started off slow but it has really picked up. I look forward to it every week. Sucks about John Goodman because I really enjoyed him. I'm predicting very bad things coming Sonny's way. and annie is one of those girls who doesn't strike you as being amazingly hot but gets cuter every time you see her.

Sucks that you have to wait for a year for the new episodes. Maybe I should actually watch the Wire like everyone tells me to do.

I have been implored by many to watch "The Wire" as well. I watched the first season, and honestly, although it was very well written and acted, I just never really got into it. I never got that "I can't wait to see what happens next" rush from it. I will likely watch the 2-5 seasons at some point, but I think it is just, possibly, the cop drama has been so done and done again, for me, it just doesn't retain my interest.

On IMDb, it has him listed for 20 episodes. I guess that's not really concrete, unless he's got some sort of Sam Simon deal.

Think it is possible the second season takes place prior to Katrina? The funeral "flashback" got me thinking they could go that direction...