I used to want a LT, but.....

Bronc24

I am a huge proponent of drafting Clausen at 9, and think that if the top 3 OTs are gone, which it looks like they will be, the Bills HAVE to go with Clausen, but I think that is incerdibly risky for the team. There are a lot of teams looking for tackles this year, and I wouldn't be surprised to see 5-6 minumum go in the first round and 2-3 go at the top of the second. If the Bills pass on an OT at 9, there is a good chance that when the 41st pick rolls around the Bills will be staring at the 10th best OT and value would necessitate that they draft a different position.

If I were running things at OBD, I'd be looking to pick up an OT at 9 and trade the 72nd for Campbell, or take Clausen at 9 and trade the 41st for Gaither (and risk him being another Peters when it comes to work ethic).

OK, so here's my rationale for wanting Clausen at 9. I have been a proponent of building the OL and DL and moving on from there. I have stated on this board that I would take a LT at 9, DT in the 2nd and trade for a vet QB like Jason Campbell.

However, after thinking more about it, I am becoming more convinced that we should take Clausen at 9 and pick a LT in the 2nd, or try and trade that pick for Gaither. The reasoning behind this is we will take at least 2 offseasons (this one included) to contend, IMO. Therefore, taking the QB and getting two offseasons with him is more essential than a LT, who often can be plugged into a starter's role.

I know the downside is that a QB can be ruined behind a bad OL (see David Carr). However, I think Clausen has enough athleticism and cockiness to overcome that. Roethlisberger has run for his life for two years, so it can be done with the right QB.

Just my thoughts.

Well, on the plus side, Clausen is used to getting pummelled behind a bad ND OL. Clausen has shown good accuracy,

fire and an ability to keep coming back in spite of a bad ND defense.

On the downside, if his teammates can't stand him and he is a prima-donna, he will fail in the NFL

I'd have little real quarrel with taking Clausen at 9, but still, I'd prefer a very good LT if available. I do think that there

is quite some likelihood that any QB will get scrambled and ruined with no viable LT and a very marginal RT in Green.

I know that they could come back in round 2 to take a LT, but I don't like who will be available. Not a Charles Brown

fan and I don't think Saffold will be there. There are precious few other legit LTs that might be available in round 2 (

don't think Ducasse is one).

OK, so here's my rationale for wanting Clausen at 9. I have been a proponent of building the OL and DL and moving on from there. I have stated on this board that I would take a LT at 9, DT in the 2nd and trade for a vet QB like Jason Campbell.

However, after thinking more about it, I am becoming more convinced that we should take Clausen at 9 and pick a LT in the 2nd, or try and trade that pick for Gaither. The reasoning behind this is we will take at least 2 offseasons (this one included) to contend, IMO. Therefore, taking the QB and getting two offseasons with him is more essential than a LT, who often can be plugged into a starter's role.

I know the downside is that a QB can be ruined behind a bad OL (see David Carr). However, I think Clausen has enough athleticism and cockiness to overcome that. Roethlisberger has run for his life for two years, so it can be done with the right QB.

Just my thoughts.

Welcome to the world of common sense.

I'm coming around to Clausen if he is available and Okung, Baluga and Trent Williams aren't, and its possible that none of those three tackles are going to be there at nine. There may be other needs at 9 that we could address on D-line and perhaps linebacker, but Clausen would look like a pretty good choice at nine. The fact is that there will probably be some very good left tackles available at 41 and I suspect Colt mCoy and Tebow will be gone at 41 (some might disagree). Anyway..Clausen is an iffy choice as are all "franchise" qb choices, but I would actually applaud Nix and Gailey if they went this route.

Unless of course he throws less than 25 TDs his rookie yr. Then you cut the bumb.

Just my thoughts.

Gee, this just occurred to you! I have been talking about this point for months (i'm not claiming to be the only one). They aren't gonna contend for awhile and the sooner you get a rookie in the better, serviceable lineman are available every off season, a first rate Qb talent (I know any rookie's talent is disputable) isn't, so you usually have to draft one.

It should be a no-brainer (IF they believe JC is a top talent). They have only drafted 2 first round Qb's, Kelly and Losman, it's not like they have been burned repeatedly. Jeezus, look how many first picks they have blown through the years. At least blow them on the most important position!