I'm 41...so WTH is it about the draft that makes me

i am 57 and feel that it cant be any worse than what we have witnessed the past decade. i have followed the draft from its infancy, they used to televise it during the workday when espn was getting started. prior to that, one had to listen to the radio during the sixties and wait for the updates. i actually prefer the recent saturday deal, but like everything else concerning the NFL , money talks, tradition walks..

We're not going to the Super Bowl. Given our history of draft's lately I'm still worried about us even picking a difference maker in the first round.

That being said, why am I still on the edge of my seat?

Why am I getting excited about Jimmy Clausen, Buluga (spelling, sorry), CJ Spiller, Williams, Tebow, Cody, Campbell or Gaither in a trade or the new Daisy Red Rider Pump Action BB Gun that I could shoot my eye out with?!

Why am I already planning my Thursday April 22nd a week in advance?

Why is logging online not good enough? Why do I want to run to the store and buy every draft guide on the shelf?

Why am I skeptical about everything I hear all year long by learned people, until I've investigated it myself, but in April, if Betty White is going to be on the NFL Network to talk about Golden Tate I have to program it into my DVR?

Man, I don't know whether to embrace this addiction or go for an intervention.

sigh

OK, I DO know...now give me a big hug and lets go Bills!!

Easy now, I am 39 and remember the days I also have the bug, but no hugs, There's no hugs in football

We're not going to the Super Bowl. Given our history of draft's lately I'm still worried about us even picking a difference maker in the first round.

That being said, why am I still on the edge of my seat?

Why am I getting excited about Jimmy Clausen, Buluga (spelling, sorry), CJ Spiller, Williams, Tebow, Cody, Campbell or Gaither in a trade or the new Daisy Red Rider Pump Action BB Gun that I could shoot my eye out with?!

Why am I already planning my Thursday April 22nd a week in advance?

Why is logging online not good enough? Why do I want to run to the store and buy every draft guide on the shelf?

Why am I skeptical about everything I hear all year long by learned people, until I've investigated it myself, but in April, if Betty White is going to be on the NFL Network to talk about Golden Tate I have to program it into my DVR?

Man, I don't know whether to embrace this addiction or go for an intervention.

sigh

OK, I DO know...now give me a big hug and lets go Bills!!

After some contemplation, I think I've produced the answer as to why the NFL draft gets us so excited. Yes, it's boring, drawn out, with little action, and yet still, it's better than baseball, which basically fits the same description.

There's your answer.

wow, we are all a bunch of 40ish year old grown men with nothing better to do with our lives. how pathetic. but you know where I'll be thursday and friday night, don't you?! with Bells on!...and NO, i dont want a hug.

seriously though, it's threads like these and the great replies that make me like this sight. a select few make my blood boil but most of you seem like great people. keep up the good work!

Two additional thoughts:

1. As dollars to donuts says, historically the two of us used the draft as an excuse to get together. We’d enjoy the draft (except when we passed on Ngata, drafted McCargo, watched SF pick Willis et al.), play some ball and generally relish the weekend. The revised draft schedule has scuttled our plans. In my opinion the revised draft schedule is a pure cash grab by the NFL at the expense of its diehard fans – and that stinks.

2. I wonder if our enjoyment of the draft is somehow related to our lack of playoff games. We substitute one event to partially assuage the loss of another. Do you remember how fun playoff games are? God, I miss the build-up and the excitement. I took playoff games for granted in the 1980s and 1990s – I promise that I won’t do that in the future.

Imagine how we felt last year when we unwrapped our present only to find a Maybin, instead of the toy we all wanted in Oher or Orakpo. Felt like geting a tie for Christmas, didn't it?

I felt your pain as well. I guess a tie is better than a lump of coal! 3 months before the draft I told my friends Orakpo was my choice hands down. I only hope this turns out well. Just read a clip on Eric Flowers. Ouch!!!

I am 48 and always have felt the same way.

I actually DVR both the NFL Network and ESPN so I do not miss any of the comments about the Bills.

I already warned my wife that the draft begins on a Thursday night.

It's good to know there are others out there.

Because as they say "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!"

Maybe one of these days that nut will be another :worthy: Jim Kelly or Bruce Smith instead of Erik Flowers, JP Losman or John McCargo

Past Bills war rooms:

:huh: <Marv

:w00t: <=Jauron

:doh:<=Guy

:oops: <= Brandon

:beer: <=Ralph

:bag: <==Me

Current Bills war room:

:devil: <=Buddy

:blush: <= Chan

:rolleyes: <=me