Could the AFC East be giving Buffalo a bad name?

I was just reading a post on Campbell to Buffalo, basically saying why bring in Campbell? They were saying that McNabb went to five NFC Championship games without any talent around him - and, now imagine what he'll do in Washington with their weapons and Shanny... and I'm thinking - what weapons? Since their new coach they've picked up a few older running backs and what? - maybe they'll add Flozell and T.O.? At least we've got two very capable runners already, and Lee Evans, and a promising young T.E..

My thought is: Shanahan could have come here and spent the offseason adding some linemen, maybe a wideout, and got McNabb and his situation - talent wise - wouldn't be looking much different. So, if the owners would be willing to spend the same - I know, that isn't the case - but, I'm thinking that having the coaches in our division - N.E.'s, Parcells in Miami, and now the Jets being as solid as they are - that those other team's talent level and coaching level is a much bigger deterrent than what Buffalo did or didn't have player-wise.

I just think he could have put together just as effective of an offense here as there - but the competition is what scared him away.

I see your point and I assume competition factors in to players' and coaches' desire to be in Buffalo, but I have to believe the most important factor at this point is whether you believe the organization as a whole is as close as Buddy & Co. claim. And seemingly few outside the organization agree. If you look at all components of the organization from a "what have you done for me lately?" standpoint, although they have recently made a ton of changes - we have yet to "see the baby," and that is what will improve the perception of the team in the eyes of the rest of the league.

Shanahan owns Belichick. I don't know how he's fared against Sparano, but I doubt he's worried about him, or Ryan. The job is unattractive because coaches families don't want to live in Buffalo because of the weather and "lack of things to do," taxes are high, and it's a tiny market.

I was just reading a post on Campbell to Buffalo, basically saying why bring in Campbell? They were saying that McNabb went to five NFC Championship games without any talent around him - and, now imagine what he'll do in Washington with their weapons and Shanny... and I'm thinking - what weapons? Since their new coach they've picked up a few older running backs and what? - maybe they'll add Flozell and T.O.? At least we've got two very capable runners already, and Lee Evans, and a promising young T.E..

My thought is: Shanahan could have come here and spent the offseason adding some linemen, maybe a wideout, and got McNabb and his situation - talent wise - wouldn't be looking much different. So, if the owners would be willing to spend the same - I know, that isn't the case - but, I'm thinking that having the coaches in our division - N.E.'s, Parcells in Miami, and now the Jets being as solid as they are - that those other team's talent level and coaching level is a much bigger deterrent than what Buffalo did or didn't have player-wise.

I just think he could have put together just as effective of an offense here as there - but the competition is what scared him away.

Buffalo is a dump.

if you didn't grow up near there, you wouldn't want to live there.

Washington is a great city.

And our owner is senile.

And while their owner is a pain, at least he isn't cheap.

Neither is Ralph. And despite Synder spending money like a tween at a Hannah Montana concert, he's gotten close to nothing as a return. But while crude, your assessment of Buffalo is fairly accurate. Although once people go there, more than a few end up loving it.

It's not just the AFCE, it's the entire AFC since the early part of the decade. When you've got perennial playoff teams like NE, BAL, PIT, IND, and SD, Buffalo's chances of making the playoffs are remote. That's one of the reasons Buffalo's drought goes as far back as it does.

What has destroyed Buffalo's rep across the NFL is their absurd hirings at GM from 2006-2009. Levy and Smithers were both unqualified to be NFL GM's, and the league knew it. It also doesn't help that RW is 91 and far past his prime to be owning a NFL team.

I think there are a lot of factors in making the Bills job unattractive and the strength of the division is certainly one of them, but I think it only becomes a factor when in conjunction with many other issues.

I understand sllib olaf's original post and I also agree with your introduction of other factors into the discussion. The original post concerned Shanahan specifically and not so much Buffalo's general attractiveness to players and coaches in the NFL which has already been discussed ad infinitum on this wall.

Basically what has been posited is the idea that Shanahan is somehow reluctant to compete in a tough division. I'm not sold on this idea. I think the tipping point is probably Daniel Snyder's wallet. The Redskins were lauded early in free agency for not throwing money around like a drunken sailor on shore leave but since then they've shown a willingness to take on Donovan McNabb and perhaps jettison Albert Haynesworth after paying him $31 million for only one year. In other words, Snyder is the sort of owner that a guy like Shanahan would love to work for. He'll spend money, eat money, and do what he has to do to make his team a winner, even though he's mostly failed at that objective for ten years.

I see your point and I assume competition factors in to players' and coaches' desire to be in Buffalo, but I have to believe the most important factor at this point is whether you believe the organization as a whole is as close as Buddy & Co. claim. And seemingly few outside the organization agree. If you look at all components of the organization from a "what have you done for me lately?" standpoint, although they have recently made a ton of changes - we have yet to "see the baby," and that is what will improve the perception of the team in the eyes of the rest of the league.

I guess I agree with this because talent-wise, I think you're right. The Redskins are no closer to being a winning team than are the Bills.

There was a post on this board recently by Webster Guy about how the well-informed fans here probably know more about the team and the state of the team than do those national media who don't do their due diligence and/or who just don't really give a damn. There's times where it seems like those same fans have a better grip on the situation than even some coaches and players. I know it sounds ridiculous but I think in some cases it's true.

Neither is Ralph. And despite Synder spending money like a tween at a Hannah Montana concert, he's gotten close to nothing as a return. But while crude, your assessment of Buffalo is fairly accurate. Although once people go there, more than a few end up loving it.

:wallbash:

Jim Kelly, Steve Tasker, Thurman Thomas and I think Reuben Brown still live in Buffalo. Those are the only guys I can think of off the top of my head.

If the level of competition in the AFCE scares coaches away then they're coaches I wouldn't want in the first place. Any coach who isn't excited by the challenge of facing off against very good teams is a guy that shouldn't be coaching, JMO.

I know this much, if the next CBA has and adverse effect on parity, the Bills need to get out of the AFC East and get in a division with simialar markets like Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

I know this much, if the next CBA has and adverse effect on parity, the Bills need to get out of the AFC East and get in a division with simialar markets like Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

I hadn't thought about that, but no other division in the NFL features three large markets and one small market team. It's not that small teams can't compete, but Buffalo is no run of the mill small market team.

It could be argued the Jets don't have a stellar GM, but the Parcells/Ireland and Belichick/Reese pairings are two of the best in the NFL. BADOL, I'd love to have Buffalo in a division where their foes are staffed with lesser talent in the front office. Say perhaps the NFCW? B-)

I think the tipping point is probably Daniel Snyder's wallet.

Which would fall under 'other issues'. If the Bills were willing to spend in the way Washington does then I doubt that the strength of the other teams in the AFC East is really something that is considered. Shanahan is known as a 'spender' and while I would have welcomed him to the Bills (he has credibility throughout the league which is what I feel the Bills need to regain), I don't think he's a great coach.

The point was, remove all other issues and I doubt the division comes into play. I think it's when added to these other issues that trying to be successful in a strong division is a consideration.

I don't know, the competition in the NFC East is pretty tough too (probably tougher as a whole than the AFC East). They usually send at least 2 teams to the post season, the Eagles still had Mcnabb when Shanny signed with the Skins and I really believe that the Giants D will get better thus making them a threat again. Also, I'm still not convinced about the Jets nor Dolphins. If Sanchez keeps throwing picks like he did last year their new additions won't matter.