what's wrong with claussen?

I read and understand English perfectly well thank you. Do you understand what YOU wrote in YOUR own post?! Obviously not! You compared Clausen to all of the other failure QBs who have been drafted and stated nonsense, "all of these QBs looked as good, or better". It should tell you something when more than one person responds to your idiotic post and gathers the same message from it. Maybe your intention was misconstrued, or maybe you're just an idiot who needs to go back and study "main idea". Frankly, I don't care. The biggest help this franchise needs, is some one who CAN toss the pig skin!! What about that do you not understand?! Some people like punishment and enjoy seeing their team lose every Sunday. When the OL had Jason Peters trotting out to protect Edwards' blindside, why did he STILL suck when given time?! I give in - let's go into next season with Fitzpatrick and Edwards set to battle it out once more. According to you, these QBs just need some help.. :thumbsup:

Who allowed more sacks...D. Bell this year or Jason Peters in 2008?...yup you're right it was Peters with a whopping 11.5 in 08...wow...matter of fact, worst in the league...check the stats...and D Bell was the worst this year per game with half a sack per game...Peters did better with a probowl QB in McNabb this season...but before you puff up your chest and say you proved your point he still allowed 7 sacks and was among the five worst LT's in the league...so...yeah, better?...maybe, good?...HELL NO...so stop whining that a premier LT will not help...Edwards hasn't had a good O-Line since he's been here...and to credit JP he didn't have a great one either...we continue to ruin QB's careers (yes I think JP given better circumstances would have flourished) and never fix the underlying problems...how many more QB'[s do you want to bring in before you realize if you're on your back 50 percent of the time, you ain't "tossing the pigskin" no matter how good your arm is...

Clausen comes to Buffalo and he'll have a couple more blackeyes before his career is over (which will roughly be two and half seasons before the Bills fans call him a bust as well)...open your eyes...watch a football game or two before you start touting BUMS like Peters as premier LT's and do a little research to figure out that only Big Ben went to a SB without at least TWO PROBOWL LINEMEN...and on top of that...Big Ben's line gave up sacks but with an average time of 3.2 seconds per sack...which is OUT FRIGGEN STANDING...our linemen????? 2.4 seconds...HERE'S A NICE BOWL OF CROW FOR YA PAL...

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with the bolded statement. It was glaringly obvious that ND's offense was always a threat to score, despite the lack of an offensive line. That gave the team the potential to come back, even if it was down by a score or three. If individual defenders decided to slack off a little anyway, their decision can in no way be blamed on the quarterback.

Npw let me get this straight you are arguing that Claussen's history is that because he played so well at QB he does not deserve any faulting over the team losing because even a stud QB cannot be expected to win when the D sucks, From this argument you say we should take Claussen because the Bills the Bills will win more with his studly QB play?

However, I do not see how if your arguments are true that the Bills will win more if our D like Claussen's at ND sucks.

Do you believe that the Bills D switching to a 3-4 which classically has a big guy at NT stuff the running game is going to be competitive with lighter weight penetrating Stroud or Williams manning the NT spot,

The logical outcome of your argument is the Bills should run and not stop to pick the most run eating NT they can find with their first pick because even with this pick they will still need to have a credible back-up or one injury to this starting NT and our D gets shredded (and no matter how well Claussen performs with our O he cannot be expected to lead his team to victory.

If you do not see the Bills needing big time help this year then how long are you willing to wait before we make our 402 into a winner.

Add to this once you introduce the time element that Claussen is going to be protected by an OL which likely needs two starters and its hard to see why you desperately don't want the Bills to trade and get some more picks.

Who allowed more sacks...D. Bell this year or Jason Peters in 2008?...yup you're right it was Peters with a whopping 11.5 in 08...wow...matter of fact, worst in the league...check the stats...and D Bell was the worst this year per game with half a sack per game...Peters did better with a probowl QB in McNabb this season...but before you puff up your chest and say you proved your point he still allowed 7 sacks and was among the five worst LT's in the league...so...yeah, better?...maybe, good?...HELL NO...so stop whining that a premier LT will not help...Edwards hasn't had a good O-Line since he's been here...and to credit JP he didn't have a great one either...we continue to ruin QB's careers (yes I think JP given better circumstances would have flourished) and never fix the underlying problems...how many more QB'[s do you want to bring in before you realize if you're on your back 50 percent of the time, you ain't "tossing the pigskin" no matter how good your arm is...

Clausen comes to Buffalo and he'll have a couple more blackeyes before his career is over (which will roughly be two and half seasons before the Bills fans call him a bust as well)...open your eyes...watch a football game or two before you start touting BUMS like Peters as premier LT's and do a little research to figure out that only Big Ben went to a SB without at least TWO PROBOWL LINEMEN...and on top of that...Big Ben's line gave up sacks but with an average time of 3.2 seconds per sack...which is OUT FRIGGEN STANDING...our linemen????? 2.4 seconds...HERE'S A NICE BOWL OF CROW FOR YA PAL...

Nice bowl of crow? You think that you proved a point by stating Peters is a bum and not a premier LT? Need I remind you that a GOOD QB, not even a great one, but a GOOD QB will eliminate many of the sacks that Trent and Fitz take...? It's not a coincidence that poor QB play has also led to high sack rates. Why do you think Manning has only been sacked around 15 times YEARLY?! He must have one of the best OL in the league correct? Please.. Quick decision makers are an asset behind center. This is why you can have others such as Kurt Warner, going to the Superbowl, while having his blindside protected by our very own outcast LT - Mike Gandy. I guess Warner had 2 Probowlers on that offensive line as well huh? Because every team that makes the SuperBowl, your words, has at least 2 Probowl linemen. Might want to do some research on teams that have made the Superbowl in this past decade alone, before you start spouting what you deem to be "facts". I never said "a premier LT wouldn't help." Way to make up an argument. I stated that a good/great QB, is more important than a good/great LT. Peters actually played better as a Bill, than he did as an Eagle this past season, yet, gave up less sacks with the Eagles. Why do you think that is? Remind me, who was the Eagles' QB this past season? Is that individual considered at least a good QB?

It's one thing to do that in college when you're the superstar QB and older than the other players (he's 23). It's another thing to do it in the pros when you're the highest paid in team history without proving a thing. His teammates, grown men, will have a little jealous at Clausen automatically. If tries to boss around a guy like Marcus Stroud, that won't go over well.

Personally, I want the safer pick of a LT or NT. Considering there will be a better class of QBs in the draft next year, I won't force the issue this year.

Stroud is a short timer---he'll be gone soon and it will be as though he was never here. By your logic, no team could ever draft a first round QB because of "jealousy" issues that would follow with every other non rookie on his team.

If I was the Rams, I'd draft Suh or Okung. I'm not a huge fan of Bradford either and a workout in shorts doesn't change that. He still has taken a hit and the Rams have an awful oline.

Personally, I'd take the safer pick than roll the dice with a QB from this class in the first round. The strength of this draft is offensive and defensive tackles. I'd like to get one good of each. I don't feel great coming out with the 2nd best QB of one of the worst classes in years. Especially, when I believe there is a very special class of QBs coming out next year (Locker, Mallett, and Pryor). Just my opinion.

Really? A draft with Bradford, Clausen, McCoy and Tebow is "one of the worst classes in years" entering the draft? You have a nonexistent memory.

And next year is "special" becuase of "Locker, Mallett and Pryor"?? What's so special about these three--other than that they are among the least accurate QBs in DivI? Locker had 2800 yards and 21 TDs an only completed 58% of his passes--big deal. He went 5-7, and like you said, if you can't win in college....right? Mallett---55% completions. And Pryor? Really? Another useless OSU QB to enter the NFL and you want him? Look at his stats--he's barely a QB.

Lefevour and Pike are better than those three right now. Case Keenum is too---how come he didn't make your special list?

Heck, the guy who replaced Bradford is as "special" as those guys you listed...

Stroud is a short timer---he'll be gone soon and it will be as though he was never here. By your logic, no team could ever draft a first round QB because of "jealousy" issues that would follow with every other non rookie on his team.

Not if you approach it the right way. I hate the Jets, but Sanchez came in humble and as a result, he was embraced by his teammates. All the reports on Clausen point to him struggling to fit in.

Really? A draft with Bradford, Clausen, McCoy and Tebow is "one of the worst classes in years" entering the draft? You have a nonexistent memory.

Until proven otherwise, these are guys who got high production because of the college offenses they played in. Fact is every single one of those players is from a system that has produced other QBs that have put up monster #s before them (Clausen - Quinn, Bradford - White & Heupel, McCoy - Young & Applewhite, Tebow - Alex Smith).

A great system can make an average QB look very good.

And next year is "special" becuase of "Locker, Mallett and Pryor"?? What's so special about these three--other than that they are among the least accurate QBs in DivI? Locker had 2800 yards and 21 TDs an only completed 58% of his passes--big deal. He went 5-7, and like you said, if you can't win in college....right? Mallett---55% completions. And Pryor? Really? Another useless OSU QB to enter the NFL and you want him? Look at his stats--he's barely a QB.

Lefevour and Pike are better than those three right now. Case Keenum is too---how come he didn't make your special list?

Heck, the guy who replaced Bradford is as "special" as those guys you listed...

Are you really using college stats as your measuring point because that is beyond silly. Notre Dame constantly had top 10 recruiting classes under Weis. Washington struggled to get top 100 classes. This team went winless just a year ago. Locker plays with absolute crap, while Clausen throws to 2 1st round NFL round receivers.

Mallett was in his first year in a new system. He'll get better. And Pryor is 6'5", freak of nature who jsut had the best game of his career in the Rose Bowl. And all 3 will improve with another year in college.

Everyone says it is a very weak Qb class. Don't fight it. The top Qb missed basically the enitre year because of shoulder injury. The #2 QB is believed to be a prick and didn't have a career better than Brady Quinn, who is a 1st round flameout.

I'd take Lefevour in the 3rd but a top 10 pick on a QB in this draft is very, very risky IMO.

Not if you approach it the right way. I hate the Jets, but Sanchez came in humble and as a result, he was embraced by his teammates. All the reports on Clausen point to him struggling to fit in.

Until proven otherwise, these are guys who got high production because of the college offenses they played in. Fact is every single one of those players is from a system that has produced other QBs that have put up monster #s before them (Clausen - Quinn, Bradford - White & Heupel, McCoy - Young & Applewhite, Tebow - Alex Smith).

A great system can make an average QB look very good.

Are you really using college stats as your measuring point because that is beyond silly. Notre Dame constantly had top 10 recruiting classes under Weis. Washington struggled to get top 100 classes. This team went winless just a year ago. Locker plays with absolute crap, while Clausen throws to 2 1st round NFL round receivers.

Mallett was in his first year in a new system. He'll get better. And Pryor is 6'5", freak of nature who jsut had the best game of his career in the Rose Bowl. And all 3 will improve with another year in college.

Everyone says it is a very weak Qb class. Don't fight it. The top Qb missed basically the enitre year because of shoulder injury. The #2 QB is believed to be a prick and didn't have a career better than Brady Quinn, who is a 1st round flameout.

I'd take Lefevour in the 3rd but a top 10 pick on a QB in this draft is very, very risky IMO.

Can you link me to "all the reports" that say Clausen is having trouble fitting in on an NFL team?

Young and Smith are currently starters in the NFL.

Yes, I am using stats, I apologize. But that's what there is. You, on the other hand, want us to ignore the performance of those you mentioned to date and focus on how good they are going to be next year after who-knows-what happens to make them "special". We have to disregard the existing top performance of the QBs in this years draft and ignore the modest performance of those you have mentioned.

Interesting to mention the "stat" of ND's draft class while you are trying to make an argument that college guys rated highly before the draft are often busts. Guess you missed the fact that the Irish defense sucked, no matter what their high school rank.

Your arguments seem entirely made up of statements like "everyone says" and "all reports point" (with little reference)--do you have an original opinion on this topic?

Can you link me to "all the reports" that say Clausen is having trouble fitting in on an NFL team?

Young and Smith are currently starters in the NFL.

Yes, I am using stats, I apologize. But that's what there is. You, on the other hand, want us to ignore the performance of those you mentioned to date and focus on how good they are going to be next year after who-knows-what happens to make them "special". We have to disregard the existing top performance of the QBs in this years draft and ignore the modest performance of those you have mentioned.

Interesting to mention the "stat" of ND's draft class while you are trying to make an argument that college guys rated highly before the draft are often busts. Guess you missed the fact that the Irish defense sucked, no matter what their high school rank.

Your arguments seem entirely made up of statements like "everyone says" and "all reports point" (with little reference)--do you have an original opinion on this topic?

Learn to read. I've stated my opinion on Clausen very well. I'm never say he's terrible. I just think he is a very risky pick and the character/ leadership questions are very valid. I'd rather have a safer pick, trade a 4th for Campbell, and get a QB I think is better than Clausen in next year's draft.

Despite you're copying of college stats to back your argument, i put more stake in the opinions of noted QB coaches like Holmgren and Shanahan and a coach who directly faced Clausen. And they all passed on him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/foot...ef=twitter_feed

Horrible throwing mechanics. Elbow and wrists all in the wrong positions. Pass on this clown.

This quote is dead on as well 'As the workout ended one could not help but think the Washington Redskins made the proper choice by trading for Donovan McNabb rather than potentially using the fourth pick of the draft to acquire Clausen.'

Horrible throwing mechanics. Elbow and wrists all in the wrong positions. Pass on this clown.

Why is he a clown? Because he's not named Sam Bradford? You, I, and 32 NFL franchises, have no idea which QB in this draft will have the most successful NFL career - it could be a QB that the Bills pick in the 3rd round. Clausen could also be a perennial Probowler, while your favorite QB Bradford is stuck holding a clipboard as a career backup. Who knows...

I'm glad Bradford won't drop to us and we may pass on Claussen. I agree with you on Claussen and have seen enough pictures of Bradford looking like an East German women's swim team captain to pass on him too. There is no avoiding seeing pictures of Tebow. I'll pass.

At this point, I don't even want to see a picture of the guy from Tennessee. The less I know the better.

Nice bowl of crow? You think that you proved a point by stating Peters is a bum and not a premier LT? Need I remind you that a GOOD QB, not even a great one, but a GOOD QB will eliminate many of the sacks that Trent and Fitz take...? It's not a coincidence that poor QB play has also led to high sack rates. Why do you think Manning has only been sacked around 15 times YEARLY?! He must have one of the best OL in the league correct? Please.. Quick decision makers are an asset behind center. This is why you can have others such as Kurt Warner, going to the Superbowl, while having his blindside protected by our very own outcast LT - Mike Gandy. I guess Warner had 2 Probowlers on that offensive line as well huh? Because every team that makes the SuperBowl, your words, has at least 2 Probowl linemen. Might want to do some research on teams that have made the Superbowl in this past decade alone, before you start spouting what you deem to be "facts". I never said "a premier LT wouldn't help." Way to make up an argument. I stated that a good/great QB, is more important than a good/great LT. Peters actually played better as a Bill, than he did as an Eagle this past season, yet, gave up less sacks with the Eagles. Why do you think that is? Remind me, who was the Eagles' QB this past season? Is that individual considered at least a good QB?

You're right...I didn't research those that LOST the SB, my bad...I looked at the winners...also...like I said...Peters is a bum and you said that Edwards needing a LT is bull because "we had Peters"...thus saying that Peters is a good solid LT...and I DID prove he was not...and yeah, Manning DOES have one of the best O Line's in football...Saturday is a hall of fame center and they have had as many as four probowl linemen pal...so YOU do some research before you start spouting ridiculous remarks that QB's can win with terrible line play...take that crap to Mel Kiper and ESPN where they believe that bull...anyone that understands football from playing and coaching will tell you otherwise

You're right...I didn't research those that LOST the SB, my bad...I looked at the winners...also...like I said...Peters is a bum and you said that Edwards needing a LT is bull because "we had Peters"...thus saying that Peters is a good solid LT...and I DID prove he was not...and yeah, Manning DOES have one of the best O Line's in football...Saturday is a hall of fame center and they have had as many as four probowl linemen pal...so YOU do some research before you start spouting ridiculous remarks that QB's can win with terrible line play...take that crap to Mel Kiper and ESPN where they believe that bull...anyone that understands football from playing and coaching will tell you otherwise

Celtic you obviously have NO clue and I don't know why I am wasting my time trying to educate you. As a quick reference to defeat your ENTIRE argument, remind me how many Probowlers the Pittsburgh Steelers had on their line when they WON the Superbowl a couple of years ago..? How about you actually do some research before making up garbage, you'll come off as a more intelligent poster. Peters is a good LT - not the best in the league and not worth his gigantic contract - but he is a good LT. If you say otherwise, you are arguing not only with me, but NFL personnel evaluators, as well as coaches and players who have made him a 2x Probowl selection.

Saturday is a hall of fame center?! What are you smoking?? Here's some research for you to further defeat your argument

Yes, a big part of the credit goes to Manning for his presnap brilliance, quick release and pocket awareness. But what isn’t talked about is how Manning’s pocket is created by five players of mid-level talent. Polian’s draft strategy is simple: spend first-round picks on skill position players (see Manning, Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Anthony Gonzalez, Joseph Addai, Donald Brown) and fill the offensive line with late-rounders or undrafted free agents. Look at Indy’s starting line in Super Bowl XLIV:

LT Charlie Johnson, 6th round ’06

LG Ryan Lilja, undrafted’04 (originally signed with Chiefs; joined Colts in ’06)

C Jeff Saturday, undrafted ’99

RG Kyle DeVan, undrafted ’09

RT Ryan Diem, 4th round ’01

Polian Criticizes Colts OL

What are you going to make up next? Your argument is done and you have been disproven. Choke on that bowl of crow please, you'll be doing us ALL a favor...

Npw let me get this straight you are arguing that Claussen's history is that because he played so well at QB he does not deserve any faulting over the team losing because even a stud QB cannot be expected to win when the D sucks, From this argument you say we should take Claussen because the Bills the Bills will win more with his studly QB play?

However, I do not see how if your arguments are true that the Bills will win more if our D like Claussen's at ND sucks.

Do you believe that the Bills D switching to a 3-4 which classically has a big guy at NT stuff the running game is going to be competitive with lighter weight penetrating Stroud or Williams manning the NT spot,

The logical outcome of your argument is the Bills should run and not stop to pick the most run eating NT they can find with their first pick because even with this pick they will still need to have a credible back-up or one injury to this starting NT and our D gets shredded (and no matter how well Claussen performs with our O he cannot be expected to lead his team to victory.

If you do not see the Bills needing big time help this year then how long are you willing to wait before we make our 402 into a winner.

Add to this once you introduce the time element that Claussen is going to be protected by an OL which likely needs two starters and its hard to see why you desperately don't want the Bills to trade and get some more picks.

The Bills clearly need first-rate players at a number of key positions before they'll be a serious threat to do something in the playoffs. Any given player you draft is only going to fill (at most) one of those holes. My inclination is to fill the hardest-to-find positions with the earliest picks; while using later picks on positions that are easier to fill. That means QB first, LT and RDE next, probably NT, RT, WR, and even C after that.

The Bills will probably need to fill two or three of those holes for it to have a significant impact on their winning percentage. For example, getting a QB alone won't do us all that much good until the OL is fixed. Suppose, however, that the Bills were to take Clausen in the first, an OT in the second, and an interior OL in the third. Then next year they could take a LT in the first, and trade back into the first round (using their 2nd and 3rd round picks) to grab a NT. At that point (assuming Clausen is a franchise QB), they'd have a real QB lining up behind a first round LT, an interior OL of Levitre, Wood, and the 3rd round pick, and a 2nd round RT. Plus that late first round NT taken in 2011 would strengthen the defense; especially against the run.

This is not to suggest the Bills could solve all their problems by the start of the 2011 season. They'd still need a #1 WR to line up opposite Evans, a RDE, a rushing OLB (unless Maybin works out), and help at one or two other positions.