There are 5 positions on the offensive line

I see a lot of posts debating which is more important: LT or QB. Obviously QB is the answer, but that discussion ignores the Bills situation at the moment.

A lot of guys point to LTs on other teams like playoff teams w/ mediocre LTs and mediocre teams with good LTs. That's kind of simple minded thinking.

If you have 3 or 4 good linemen, you can get away with a mediocre player on the line. But when your C is Hangartner, your RT is Cornhole Green, and your RG just had his leg turned into silly putty a few months ago, you have a different situation.

For a QB, even a great QB, to perform you have to have at least a mediocre line. That being said, if Clausen is available at #9, whatever, you won't hear me complain, but without some serious upgrades to the line, 2010 will look a lot like 2009, and Mr. Franchise might just get David Carred.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the guys that, IMO, can be solid starters or better, if not now then soon.

77 Bell, Demetrius OL 6-5 307 25 2 Northwestern State University

73 Chambers, Kirk OL 6-7 315 31 6 Stanford

61 Gaddis, Christian OL 6-1 300 25 2 Villanova

Green, Cornell OL 6-6 315 33 12 Central Florida

63 Hangartner, Geoff OL 6-5 301 27 6 Texas A&M

74 Hennessey, Nick OL 6-5 291 23 R Colgate

67 Levitre, Andy OL 6-2 305 23 2 Oregon State

69 Meredith, Jamon OL 6-5 304 23 2 South Carolina

76 Ramsey, Andre OL 6-5 322 22 2 Ball State

66 Watkins, Jason OL 6-6 325 24 1 Florida

70 Wood, Eric OL 6-4 315 24 2 Louisville

It looks like LT DB, LG AL, C GH, RG EW, RT CG. DB needs to be upgraded and if the Bills can get a starting LT out of the draft they could swing DB to the right side and if he can stay healthy might start to shine or at least provide decent depth at both T positions. GH is a liability where he is right now but I don't think they can move Wood to C yet due to his injury.

I was gonna try to refute your argument about the quality of OL but looking at it closely, you're just about right.

So.... what 2 do you think we have filled?

If wood is ok for the season, we have at least 3 decent starters. Hangartner, wood, and levitre. And we are def going to be drafting our starting LT in the draft, just not sure which round. So that would give us 4 decent starters. And as for green, we could do worse. And if this draft turns out good for us, it wouldn't be too hard to upgrade RT and C. But right now, I think hangartner is a decent starter, especially compared to the starters we have had previous to him. And as for wood, i think at worst he is on PUP for part of the season. It MIGHT be worse than that, but I don't think so.

Also, Nix has said he wants to grab a lot of depth for the oline in the draft. So a lot of othe picks will be used to get linemen, and one of them could always be a surprise. And with the levitre and wood picks, I think nix knows his linemen pretty well. I am thinking the line will be pretty stable next year. Might not be great, but I think it is being built to be good and will keep getting better.

So.... what 2 do you think we have filled?

If wood is ok for the season, we have at least 3 decent starters. Hangartner, wood, and levitre. And we are def going to be drafting our starting LT in the draft, just not sure which round. So that would give us 4 decent starters. And as for green, we could do worse. And if this draft turns out good for us, it wouldn't be too hard to upgrade RT and C. But right now, I think hangartner is a decent starter, especially compared to the starters we have had previous to him. And as for wood, i think at worst he is on PUP for part of the season. It MIGHT be worse than that, but I don't think so.

Also, Nix has said he wants to grab a lot of depth for the oline in the draft. So a lot of othe picks will be used to get linemen, and one of them could always be a surprise. And with the levitre and wood picks, I think nix knows his linemen pretty well. I am thinking the line will be pretty stable next year. Might not be great, but I think it is being built to be good and will keep getting better.

I don't consider Hangarner a good starter. If you had 4 solid guys around him he could be valuable due to his intelligence, but he doesn't have the physical strength to take on stronger DTs and NTs. I'd also be surprised if Wood is back to full strength this year, however he and Levitre were the two I was referring to as filled positions.

I don't know that much about Green, but from what I've read he's more of a backup who was one of the lesser linemen on a less than stellar Oakland squad.

Losing Butler sucks.

I'm curious as to which positions the OP considers set. OP?

I don't consider Hangarner a good starter. If you had 4 solid guys around him he could be valuable due to his intelligence, but he doesn't have the physical strength to take on stronger DTs and NTs. I'd also be surprised if Wood is back to full strength this year, however he and Levitre were the two I was referring to as filled positions.

I don't know that much about Green, but from what I've read he's more of a backup who was one of the lesser linemen on a less than stellar Oakland squad.

Thanks Dan from Utica, Tampa!

I suppose the point is valid, but I'm glad to see we've at least built a more sturdy depth chart, in the meantime.

Our first pick will be on one line or another, unless it's Morgan, which is also HIGHLY likely.

These are the guys that, IMO, can be solid starters or better, if not now then soon.

It looks like LT DB, LG AL, C GH, RG EW, RT CG. DB needs to be upgraded and if the Bills can get a starting LT out of the draft they could swing DB to the right side and if he can stay healthy might start to shine or at least provide decent depth at both T positions. GH is a liability where he is right now but I don't think they can move Wood to C yet due to his injury.

I was gonna try to refute your argument about the quality of OL but looking at it closely, you're just about right.

I agree, except I don't like Hangartner much, I would rather Eric Wood be put at his natural position of Center, or I would like to see us check into Steve Justice, who was highly rated coming out of college and is a free agent.

I also think that Jason Watkins should be added to your list. I think he has more potential than Bell and/or Meredith. He was the starting RIGHT tackle on Florida's 2 National Championship teams. He also played Left tackle and Guard as well. He was the RIGHT tackle because that is Tim Tebow's "blind side" being a lefty. His stats and background are very good...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Watkins

In his senior season, Watkins was named honorable mention All-Southeastern Conference by the Associated Press, as he produced 78 knockdowns to go with 12 touchdown-resulting blocks. He graded 81.71% and was part of a front wall that gave up just 16 sacks. The Gators went on to capture the national title behind an offense that averaged 445.07 yards and 43.64 points per game.

I am also pretty high on Meredith, who was also highly rated coming out of college. I believe between Bell, Watkins and Meredith...we have 3 very good young Offensive linemen who could start someday or eventually net us some draft picks after they develop and play a bit. It will be all about their work ethic and coaching with these guys.

With this draft and the development of these young linemen, O-Line could be a STRENGTH for us in a couple years.

I think Bell is still a reach as being a solid starter. The guy got owned last yr, penalized way too often, and is too inconsistent. Meredeth has the potential within a yr or 2. And I think Wood and Levitre are solid.

We need a new LT, a better center, and can definitely afford to upgrade the RT position.

I agree, except I don't like Hangartner much, I would rather Eric Wood be put at his natural position of Center, or I would like to see us check into Steve Justice, who was highly rated coming out of college and is a free agent.

I also think that Jason Watkins should be added to your list. I think he has more potential than Bell and/or Meredith. He was the starting RIGHT tackle on Florida's 2 National Championship teams. He also played Left tackle and Guard as well. He was the RIGHT tackle because that is Tim Tebow's "blind side" being a lefty. His stats and background are very good...

In his senior season, Watkins was named honorable mention All-Southeastern Conference by the Associated Press, as he produced 78 knockdowns to go with 12 touchdown-resulting blocks. He graded 81.71% and was part of a front wall that gave up just 16 sacks. The Gators went on to capture the national title behind an offense that averaged 445.07 yards and 43.64 points per game.

I am also pretty high on Meredith, who was also highly rated coming out of college. I believe between Bell, Watkins and Meredith...we have 3 very good young Offensive linemen who could start someday or eventually net us some draft picks after they develop and play a bit. It will be all about their work ethic and coaching with these guys.

With this draft and the development of these young linemen, O-Line could be a STRENGTH for us in a couple years.

Ok, Watkins is added! :wallbash:

I think Bell is still a reach as being a solid starter. The guy got owned last yr, penalized way too often, and is too inconsistent. Meredeth has the potential within a yr or 2. And I think Wood and Levitre are solid.

We need a new LT, a better center, and can definitely afford to upgrade the RT position.

I'm willing to put Bell's problems on his health last year. If the new S&C coaches can get him healthy for a full season he may begin to show the promise I think he has, at least I hope so.

Any organization which allowed a player of the caliber of Kirk Chambers to get substantial playing time, let alone be on the roster, should be ashamed of itself. Even with the addition of a high round LT draftee this collective group of sustandard players still needs an infusion of talent to get it to the level of being average.

Any organization which allowed a player of the caliber of Kirk Chambers to get substantial playing time, let alone be on the roster, should be ashamed of itself. Even with the addition of a high round LT draftee this collective group of sustandard players still needs an infusion of talent to get it to the level of being average.

What does that tell you about the intelligence of the coaching staff, head coach, offensive coordinator and O line coach. None of them had a clue about any of the O linemen abilities, year after year Jauron would mix and match hoping to get lucky and find a decent combination of players.

At the very least he made some decent choices on Woods-Levitre-Hangartner, although you can usually find decent guards after round 2 and save those first two rounds to find the tackles.

There is a reason the second highest paid players on teams behind the QB is the left tackle.The Buffalo Bills are trying to ignore that fact and plug in inexperienced inexpensive players that will never get the job done.

stop with the blind-side horse-hockey

Watkins played RT because he was not good enough to play LT - which is where most of the elite pass rushers come from and you need to agile and strong to handle them

I see a lot of posts debating which is more important: LT or QB. Obviously QB is the answer, but that discussion ignores the Bills situation at the moment.

A lot of guys point to LTs on other teams like playoff teams w/ mediocre LTs and mediocre teams with good LTs. That's kind of simple minded thinking.

If you have 3 or 4 good linemen, you can get away with a mediocre player on the line. But when your C is Hangartner, your RT is Cornhole Green, and your RG just had his leg turned into silly putty a few months ago, you have a different situation.

For a QB, even a great QB, to perform you have to have at least a mediocre line. That being said, if Clausen is available at #9, whatever, you won't hear me complain, but without some serious upgrades to the line, 2010 will look a lot like 2009, and Mr. Franchise might just get David Carred.

There was a quote recently in PFW by an anonymous head coach that went something like this:

A great QB can make an average line look good, and if you don't have a great QB you had better have a damn good offensive line.

The Bills have neither ATM, let's hope Nix and Gailey can change that.

We may or may not get the coaches, quarterback, and receivers to click. But we cant lose drafting an offensive line. We need both to click. We need to build a team with starters and depth. We need to be able to sign promising young players to longer contracts for cheap and let them develop, instead of overpaying to plug holes.

Wood and Levitre are the only 2 worthy of being NFL starters, and that was before Wood blew out his leg. Doubtful he comes back to full strength by opening game.

don't worry, though, because Chan knows he can coach up the existing talent - so don't expect a high pick on an OT.

Bell will again be the expected starter, due primarily to Karl Malone being his father and not anything proven on the football field.

stop with the blind-side horse-hockey

Watkins played RT because he was not good enough to play LT - which is where most of the elite pass rushers come from and you need to agile and strong to handle them

We've seen guys like Kris Dielman and Jeff Saturday go from UDFA to the Pro Bowl as interior OL. Rare is the OT who can make the transition to the pros from late round/UDFA type and be a solid starter. The only one I can think of off-hand, particularly LT, is Jason Peters or perhaps Donald Penn. OT's need to have better lateral movement and aren't hidden on the interior OL.