Obama to allow Felons to Vote

Why shouldn't they be allowed to vote? I've don't understand the need to continue to treat them as lesser people if they've served their time/whatever punishment the system gave them. If they're so dangerous that they shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else then they should still be locked up.

Why shouldn't they be allowed to vote? I've don't understand the need to continue to treat them as lesser people if they've served their time/whatever punishment the system gave them. If they're so dangerous that they shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else then they should still be locked up.

The linked article goes to great lengths in pointing out that a study estimates thet 75-80% would primarially vote democratic.

Which explains why WorldNetDaily is against the proposed legislation.

WBF is a different question.

It's one of the punishments for violating the laws of society. Don't like it? Don't commit a felony.

Should someone that has proven they can't adhere to the laws society has deemed most important be allowed to play a part in making them?

I have no idea, tbh.

well if the paranoid right wing "news source" says it's true....

Has nothing to do with Obama

Will not make it outside of committee

proposals like this pop up every few years or so--always get shot down.

But it's fun to read biased news in order to fuel your own self righteous indignation, isn't it?

I agree completely :thumbdown: they should be treated equally and be allowed to vote. There are to many complications to deny their right to vote. What if they had only served a short sentence that isn't a serious offense and have no previous criminal record? (which actually makes up a fair bit ofpeople who have been to prison) should they be denied the right to vote? They are still citizens of the United States. Other countries allow felons to vote. And besides, many of the people who commit crimes are uneducated and dont care about politics and that kind off stuff so wont bother to vote anyways ;)

It's one of the punishments for violating the laws of society. Don't like it? Don't commit a felony.

Sincerely,

Guy who smoked pot*

*I'm not sure if that's still a felony but I know it has been in various states I've lived in. The fact of the matter is, many of us have committed felonies during the course of our lives. Most of us haven't been caught.

"State disenfranchisement laws disproportionately impact racial and ethnic minorities," the bill itself states. "Eight percent of the African-American population, or 2,000,000 African-Americans, are disenfranchised. Given current rates of incarceration, approximately one in three of the next generation of African-American men will be disenfranchised at some point during their lifetime. Hispanic citizens are also disproportionately disenfranchised based upon their disproportionate representation in the criminal justice system."

You gotta love this kind of thinking. Once again, the minorities are victims.

That would be federal income taxes. There are other federal taxes. Social Security tax (for something most will never receive according to many on this board), Medicare tax, unemployment insurance tax, and gas tax. Probably more, that's just a quick list.

Sincerely,

Guy who smoked pot*

*I'm not sure if that's still a felony but I know it has been in various states I've lived in. The fact of the matter is, many of us have committed felonies during the course of our lives. Most of us haven't been caught.

Speak for yourself. You have anything you want to get off your chest?