Drunk and high father puts 5 week old in oven overnight.

Steely Dan

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/16/ke...pt=T2&imw=Y

Drunk, high dad leaves baby in oven overnight, police say

By Jason Kessler, CNN

March 17, 2010 -- Updated 0158 GMT (0958 HKT)

At least the guy realizes he needs help;

Emergency crews responding to the scene transported the infant to a local hospital, where he was found to be unharmed.

The incident was reported to authorities by a psychiatric facility that Long turned to when he learned what he had done, officials said.

"He actually called a mental health crisis line immediately thereafter and told them that he had done this. And they contacted us," Hayden said.

Hopefully this is the wake up call he needs.

It has always amazed me that you need to fill out tons of paperwork and pass a decent reference check to get a pet, but any idiot can have kids whenever they want. Just seems odd. :worthy:

Ok I'm going to post this for the bazillionth time. People should go through a financial and psychological test before their allowed to have children.

Oh I forgot, having children is a right.

What sort of legislation would you pass to prevent unworthy parents from having children? I don't disagree with your sentiment, but talk about a messy issue.

What sort of legislation would you pass to prevent unworthy parents from having children? I don't disagree with your sentiment, but talk about a messy issue.

It's a fantasy dude. Every American is sterilzed at birth and can only have it reversed if they pass a financial and psychological test. Yeah, I'm a fascist pig.

I know, I know, I know. I guess I'm just making a point. Believe me I want less government involvement in just about everything, but I routinely have to go out and end up seeing kids that have nothing (I mean absolutely nothing) and are sitting around in dirty diapers because crack head mom or drunk dad can't/won't change them or even love them. It really breaks my heart (I finish every day by going home and playing with my son and watching him laugh!).

I couldn't tell you how many times I went back to a crackhead house to ask if I could give the kids some toys and drop off a package of diapers. Again, I was just making a point about how some of the kids are f--ked for life.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox.

Ok I'm going to post this for the bazillionth time. People should go through a financial and psychological test before their allowed to have children.

Oh I forgot, having children is a right.

"You know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, to drive a car - hell, you even need a license to catch a fish. But they'll let any butt-reaming asssshole be a father."

I know, I know, I know. I guess I'm just making a point. Believe me I want less government involvement in just about everything, but I routinely have to go out and end up seeing kids that have nothing (I mean absolutely nothing) and are sitting around in dirty diapers because crack head mom or drunk dad can't/won't change them or even love them. It really breaks my heart (I finish every day by going home and playing with my son and watching him laugh!).

I couldn't tell you how many times I went back to a crackhead house to ask if I could give the kids some toys and drop off a package of diapers. Again, I was just making a point about how some of the kids are f--ked for life.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox.

Please stay on the soapbox...unlike most soapboxes, it's a worthy one to stand on. And these poor children you mention...most (not all) will comprise the next generation of negligent crackhead parents. Viscious cycle. But what can be done?

Please stay on the soapbox...unlike most soapboxes, it's a worthy one to stand on. And these poor children you mention...most (not all) will comprise the next generation of negligent crackhead parents. Viscious cycle. But what can be done?

Turn off the spigot. It would be amazing how quickly some people would figure it out.

Turn off the spigot. It would be amazing how quickly some people would figure it out.

Yeah, but not giving them welfare/Social Security benefits isn't going to stop them from breeding.