Byrd overrated

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BUF was #30 overall against the rush:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...;seasonType=REG

Given that, consider that the opposition didn't pass much against them...why bother? So you look like you have a killer pass rush or have an All-World backfield...

The CIN press releases used to yo-yo...one season, in the run-up hype to sell tix, they would say that they were way up there in pass defense (they got run over). Next season, they touted the tough run D (they got torched by passers and receivers).

I agree about the Bills number 2 ranked pass D being an over inflated stat due to teams having such success against us on the ground. However when watching the Bills play at times during the season it did look like our pass D was having success on its own. I look to the Saints game as evidence that our secondary is pretty dam good maybe not tops in the league but definitely top 10.

The Saints for 3 quarters didn't do much against us in the air. Even in the 4th quarter they pretty much just wore our D out via the run our pass D still held up nicely.

I agree about the Bills number 2 ranked pass D being an over inflated stat due to teams having such success against us on the ground.

That only holds if you're ranking the defense based purely on passing yards allowed. And while the Bills did rank 2nd there, they also ranked 2nd in average yards per attempts (minus INT's) and INT's, and 3rd in opponents' completion percentage. This while being tied for 18th in sacks.

Oh come on now...am I the only one who has noticed that the OP garbo has not made one post in this thread? Seriously, this thread is on page 5 when it was clearly a bogus topic started by a bogus poster who conveniently nicknamed himself garbo which pretty much references garabage which is what this thread was intended to be.

Ashton Kutcher is that you because you all just got punked by "garbo"...funny thing is this thread will probably reach 10 pages before it dies...

That only holds if you're ranking the defense based purely on passing yards allowed. And while the Bills did rank 2nd there, they also ranked 2nd in average yards per attempts (minus INT's) and INT's, and 3rd in opponents' completion percentage. This while being tied for 18th in sacks.

My post actually defended the Bills pass D as being pretty good. I just think that the pass D if tested a little more they would be ranked between 5th and 10th still very good. Also the fact that we played Mark Sanchez 2 times, Chad Henne once, Matt Cassel, Jake Delhome, Derrick Anderson, and The Colts backup helped our passing D a lot.

My post actually defended the Bills pass D as being pretty good. I just think that the pass D if tested a little more they would be ranked between 5th and 10th still very good. Also the fact that we played Mark Sanchez 2 times, Chad Henne once, Matt Cassel, Jake Delhome, Derrick Anderson, and The Colts backup helped our passing D a lot.

Few teams face great offenses week-in and week-out. And the Jets, who ranked above the Bills, played most of the same teams, as well as the Bills' QB's, who were worse than Sanchez.

More than half of Byrds int's were due to the qb making a bad play, not byrd making a good play. All he has shown is that he can catch the ball. He is slow and takes terrible angles to the ball. Still needs alot of work and probably wont develop into a superstar like people think.

Nice first post there....Jairus Byrd is a playmaker. He registered 17 picks in 3 years of college ball , and added another 9 in his rookie year. 26 picks in 4 years, not too shabby. If anything , the guy is underrated.

Stats...numbers...

A fellow is at a party. He walks up to a teacher and asks: "What is 2 plus 2?" She replies. "Young man, 2+2 is 4." He then askes a mathematician, who replies "In Base 10, 2+2=4."

The fellow then asks a lawyer. He looks furtively to the left, then to the right. And then whispers into his ear: "What would you like it to be?"

:doh:

The second season of a players career is almost more indicative of their career path. Some rookies surprise because there's little to no tape on them. After the season when teams study more tape, their flaws are exposed. How players adapt their game is crucial.

9 picks is great in a rookie season. Regardless of a rookie's performance in their first year, they shouldn't be evaluated until after three seasons. JMO.