Furnace question

JoeFerguson

I bought a house two weeks ago that I haven't moved in yet. It is currently vacant. I got a call from the power company saying that the power was off last night for 3 hours. I have a natural gas furnace that is "energy efficient" (whatever that means) and it was installed in 1986.

1) Does my furnace have a pilot light?

2) Do I need to worry about my house filling up with gas if the power went out for three hours?

3) Should I rush home right now to check it?

Thanks.

I bought a house two weeks ago that I haven't moved in yet. It is currently vacant. I got a call from the power company saying that the power was off last night for 3 hours. I have a natural gas furnace that is "energy efficient" (whatever that means) and it was installed in 1986.

2) Do I need to worry about my house filling up with gas if the power went out for three hours?

Thanks.

1) Yes

2) No, not unless you have leaks in your lines

3) If it makes you feel better....just don't light any candles

Thanks.

If your furnace was installed in 1986, it's in no way "energy efficient". Be prepared to replace it in the not too distant future because it's pretty much past its useful life.

If your furnace was installed in 1986, it's in no way "energy efficient". Be prepared to replace it in the not too distant future because it's pretty much past its useful life.

I agree with Darin. If it has electronic ignition then there is no pilot. the burner is ignited electronically. If it it has a pilot, there is a chance pilot will remain lit even with the power off. You should investigate this so you are prepared in the future for power failure events. No need to worry however.

Thanks.

Code requires pilot lights and possibly an auto- offf if not a pilot light. Otherwise vacant houses would be blowing up all over the place.

Code requires pilot lights and possibly an auto- offf if not a pilot light. Otherwise vacant houses would be blowing up all over the place.

Now that would be fricken cool and a great way to reduce the inventory and help the housing market. :thumbsup: