Roger Saffold

turftoe

Saffold is a better athlete than football player. His combine type numbers are rather good and his play on the field is decent, but he is not worthy of a high second round pick. That would be a huge reach, and IMO there will be players on the Bills board rated much higher than Saffold when they pick in the 2nd round.

I would like to take this guy at 41. But if Cincy takes him at 21 that will be a huge reach for them.

I suspect they would be interested in him in the second round and not the first round. Todd McShay and Mel Kiper both were glowing over Saffold. I would not be disturbed if the Bills drafted OTs with both of their first two picks. Let's get this darn OL fixed and then move on to other pressing needs.

I suspect they would be interested in him in the second round and not the first round. Todd McShay and Mel Kiper both were glowing over Saffold. I would not be disturbed if the Bills drafted OTs with both of their first two picks. Let's get this darn OL fixed and then move on to other pressing needs.

Agreed. I'd love Bulaga and the best available OT in the 2nd. If we are truly going to be in full rebuild mode, lets at least get our O-Line taken care of this year.

I disagree. If they really plan on moving to the 3-4, the need to target a NT with one of their first 2 picks, along with a LT. And then QB needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

If it's me, I would be going big guys in the first 3 rounds (if the right guys are there). Taking a LT in the first with either a RT or NT in the 2nd with whatever piece I didn't get in the 2nd in the 3rd. This will pretty much finish off the complete rebuilding of the O-Line.

If it's me, I am not even looking at QB until the late rounds, if at all. Give me lots of big guys in this draft. Let's start winning in the trenches. Give me a dominant O-Line and a dominant Front 7 on defense and I will will lots of games.

Todd McShay and Mel Kiper both were glowing over Saffold.

and Mike Maylock on Count Down to the Draft on the NFL Network in referrence to Saffold's very good workouts said "go back and watch the game tapes" and IM paraphrasing that he does not warrent a second round pick. I DVR'ed it and will try to get the exact quote later but we don't need another player that workouts like Tarzan and plays like Jane. That being said, some team will probably overdraft Saffold on that everlovin word "potential" :thumbsup:

I disagree. If they really plan on moving to the 3-4, the need to target a NT with one of their first 2 picks, along with a LT. And then QB needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Any qb taken after the first round is a developmental qb who will not be a factor for a few years, at best. You can get a bulky later round NT or even a fading veteran NT to play the position for the short term. If the scouting department has an OT rated higher than any of the NTs available with the second round pick than go with the higher rated player. If a DT/NT is on the board in the second round with a higher rating then go with the NT.

This year's draft is not going to address all of our needs. So, in general, Nix is going to follow his board and take the highest rated players with little consideration for the DBs. The Bills are in a position (as they usually are every year) where they have multiple needs. So get the higher rated players to address those persistent area of needs.

Any qb taken after the first round is a developmental qb who will not be a factor for a few years, at best. You can get a bulky later round NT or even a fading veteran NT to play the position for the short term. If the scouting department has an OT rated higher than any of the NTs available with the second round pick than go with the higher rated player. If a DT/NT is on the board in the second round with a higher rating then go with the NT.

This year's draft is not going to address all of our needs. So, in general, Nix is going to follow his board and take the highest rated players with little consideration for the DBs. The Bills are in a position (as they usually are every year) where they have multiple needs. So get the higher rated players to address those persistent area of needs.

It might not address all the Bills' needs, but can address some of the major ones. Getting a rookie NT in the 3rd, not to mention relying on 2 rookie OT's, is asking a lot.

If the Front Office is convinced that they'll need a few years to be competitive, then I'd have no problem - and would prefer it - if they just focused on fixing one side of the ball, offense or defense. I could see us fielding a really good offense if we took a couple high drafted OLinemen, maybe Lefevour or Tebow type QB in the 2nd or 3rd, and another wideout... it seems like they could field a strong offense or defense if they tried to fix one or the other, but by going one here, one there they might have an average offense and defense for a few years before we see any success. I can recall really strong defensive teams winning it all, and even a few powerhouse offenses without much for defense winning, but I can never recall a team with average offense and defense making it to the superbowl.

I think Mayock is right. Saffold seems to be the flavor of the month, especially with people thinking the Bills will be high on him because we have his college OL coach on board. Take a look at his highlight film.......he looks slow and sluggish. I would be unhappy with Saffold in the beginning of the second round, his play in college has not warranted that high of a draft selection.

If it's me, I would be going big guys in the first 3 rounds (if the right guys are there). Taking a LT in the first with either a RT or NT in the 2nd with whatever piece I didn't get in the 2nd in the 3rd. This will pretty much finish off the complete rebuilding of the O-Line.

If it's me, I am not even looking at QB until the late rounds, if at all. Give me lots of big guys in this draft. Let's start winning in the trenches. Give me a dominant O-Line and a dominant Front 7 on defense and I will will lots of games.

Big guys first, I agree, but with one exception. That exception is QB. Teams with great OLs can still not win the SB with no QB. The best examples are the Vikings the season or two before they got Favre. Excellent defense, great running game, great line, everything except QB, and they went nowhere. Same with the Steelers for the entire Cowher era until they got Roethlisberger. They did well, they got close, but they only got over the top when they got the big molester on board.

The Golden Rule of the Draft is that you never pass on a franchise QB unless you already have one on the roster. We should abide by that rule. But if Clausen and Bradford are gone, we should go for big men. We should exclusively work on the O-line and the defensive front seven.

It might not address all the Bills' needs, but can address some of the major ones. Getting a rookie NT in the 3rd, not to mention relying on 2 rookie OT's, is asking a lot.

It is asking a lot but if Cam Thomas is still there, we should make it so. Assuming we haven't already picked Dan Williams in the first or Cody in the second.

Big guys first, I agree, but with one exception. That exception is QB. Teams with great OLs can still not win the SB with no QB. The best examples are the Vikings the season or two before they got Favre. Excellent defense, great running game, great line, everything except QB, and they went nowhere. Same with the Steelers for the entire Cowher era until they got Roethlisberger. They did well, they got close, but they only got over the top when they got the big molester on board.

The Golden Rule of the Draft is that you never pass on a franchise QB unless you already have one on the roster. We should abide by that rule. But if Clausen and Bradford are gone, we should go for big men. We should exclusively work on the O-line and the defensive front seven.

Well, I guess I should have added to my post that i really don't want to think about QB at all this year. I want to fill in the other holes this year and then do what I need to do in next year's draft to get my new QB. Next year's QB class is a lot better than this years, especially the guys at the top. So, I want to focus on filling in other holes this year and then do whatever I need to do to get the QB I decide on next season.....that may even mean trading up if necessary. But this team is a couple years away from competing anyway, so I would rather no settle for the QBs this year and do everything I need to do to get my QB of choice in next year's draft.

This serves 2 purposes. It allows me to fill in more holes this year and also get a better evaluation of where this team is at. Remember, new scheme, new coaches. Just because players did not succeed under Dicky J, doesn't mean they won't find a fresh start this year under Gailey and company. So, by not going QB this year, it gives the staff a full year to see who they like and who they don't. Then, we'll find a QB next draft that is best suited to run whatever the new system will be that is getting installed. With all this said, ficus on all of the other holes this year, and take your pick of the of the better QB class next season.

Saffold highlights vs. Michigan. Going up against Brandon Graham, who's a legit prospect, but isn't that what Saffold will face in the NFL?

Tell me what makes you think this guy will be any good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xwFyT3u2CQ

Also, if the Bills can find a way to trade down in the 1st round......I'm a big fan of Brandon Graham and he fits into a 3-4 well. It seems Graham will go anywhere from 15-25.

I went through the highlight package once.

I think there was only one pass play that was long developing. All the others passes were quick timing patterns.

It looks like Saffold is a bit limited athletically. He also had what seems like an egregious mental error when he had final backside protection and didn't block the man in front of him.

Ironically on another play, when Brandon Graham (who I like for the Bills) had that nice bull rush and pushed Saffold back into the quarterbacks' space, Saffold actually did enough to give the QB time to complete the pass downfield.

But he whiffed on at least one block in the running game and one in the passing game.

He looked more average than great to me, but it's really hard to say having viewed just a few plays in one game.