Our D could be Killer

Interesting dream. To make it come true, Schobel has to decide to continue playing, Maybin would have to learn how to play linebacker, Stroud and Kennedy would have to get younger to play end and the fat NT would have to be a really good one. But hey, dreams sometimes come true. If yours does, I'll be really happy and believe everything you say in the future.

Not to mention, not one guy on the team has any experience in playing this defense. GB transitioned from the 4-3 to a 3-4 under Dom Capers, and drafted a NT in Raji and an OLB in Matthews Jr. It helped that their ends, Cullen Jenkins and Johnny Jolly were big enough from the 4-3 days to play a new style.

I'd also point out that they have zero depth on the DL and in the LB corps (that's corpse to you Obama fans). Posluszny and Mitchell are it at ILB, and neither Keith Ellison nor Nic Harris are big enough. I think there's a better chance Maybin succeeds in the 3-4 than Kelsay or Schobel.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm usually negative about the Bills, because they are awful. However! I see a ray of light in the 3-4 if we can get Kennedy and draft a Fat NT.

Here's my dream:

ROLB Schobel

LOLB Maybin

MLB Mitchell

MLB Poz

DE Stroud

DE Kennedy

DT Fat Draftee (Cody?)

That set up could be killer. Seriously.

If the defense is good next year it's going to be the result of the depth. I think your lineup is probably what they'll start with in the 3-4 alignment, but expect them to use a 4-2-5, 3-3-5, and/or 3-2-6 in nickle/dime situations. They can also run a modified 4-3/1-gap 3-4 in certain situations. Because of the potential for variant formations, I expect them to draft a NT that is more scheme versatile than Cody (but I wouldn't count him out because of all the other types of players they have - just not early in the draft).

The real potential is in the ability to show the multiple looks with personal that actually fits that look. This could equate to us having "two defenses". My best guess on the front 7 personnel for each formation is this (starters listed on left, with primary backups following):

Base 3-4

DE: Stroud, Kelsey

NT: draftee NT, K Williams, Kennedy

DE: Kennedy, S Johnson

OLB: Maybin, Schobel, Kelsey

ILB: Poz, rookie/FA LB#2, Ellison

ILB: MItchell, rookie/FA LB#2, Ellison

OLB: rookie/FA LB#1, Schobel, Kelsey

4-2

DE: Schobel, Maybin

DT: Stroud, S Johnson, NT

DT: Williams, Kennedy

DE: Maybin, Kelsey

LB: Ellison, Mitchell

LB: Poz, rookie/FA LB#2

4-3

DE: Schobel, Maybin

DT: Stroud, NT, S Johnson

DT: Williams, Kennedy

DE: Kelsey, Maybin

OLB: Mitchell, Ellison

MLB: Poz, rookie/FA LB#2

OLB: rookie/FA LB#1, Maybin

1-Gap 3-4

DE: Stroud, Kennedy

NT: Williams, NT

DE: Kelsey, S Johnson

OLB: rookie LB#1, Schobel

ILB: Poz, rookie LB#2, Ellison

ILB: Mitchell, Ellison, rookie LB #2

OLB: Kelsey, Maybin

3-3

DE: Kennedy, Stroud

NT: Williams, Kennedy, NT

OLB: Schobel, Maybin, rookie LB#1

ILB: Poz, Mitchell, rookie LB#2

ILB: Ellison, Mitchell

3-2

DE: Kennedy, Stroud

NT: Williams, Kennedy, NT

LB: Poz, Mitchell, rookie LB#2

LB: Ellison, Mitchell, rookie LB#2

I think the rookie LB#1 will be a pass rusher drafted this year, rookie/FA LB#2 will be a Larry Foote type, and assuming that the NT will be a Cody-esq player (only a NT, not three tech option).

The beauty is that they have the guys to get after the QB and potential to stop the run with the new NT and hopefully some bigger LBs. Obviously this is just speculation on my part, but it does include all the primary players we have now and are likely to get and to a certain extent would account fr why they seem to be keeping a lot of these players most people think are a poor fit for a solely 2-gap 3-4 defense.

I'm affraid that lineup would be mediocre at best.

new defense,everyone playing a new position, mediocre talent, playing favre, Big ben, palmer, rodgers, pats, phins, jets 2x each, we'll be lucky to win 4 games...

-- i love the bills, but lets face it, they are essentially nothing but a developmental team for the rest of the league... we draft em, coach em up with minor league (ex-college) coaches, and the really talented ones leave once their rookie contracts are up. like AAA minor league baseball. the bills are the Bisons. only a change of ownership can change this.

If we could win with that lineup, it would be impressive. 7 guys whoop an 11 man offense! We'd go down in history! :thumbsup:

I'm not as concerned as many here seem to be. Yeah, we have to get a couple strong NT's, but this group you mention (if A. Schobel plays) and a plethera of fine DB's, with an attacking scheme could take many by surprize.

Including a few posters.

The Bills defense failed to stop the Run last year. They did put the heat on the Opposing QBs quite a bit. The key is finding that NT.

Another thing that comes into the picture: Jerry Gray and Fewell both had the rotating OL. However, I have seen the 3-4 usually run with a single entrenched NT...Is Kyle Williams that kind of a every down player ?

I'm usually negative about the Bills, because they are awful. However! I see a ray of light in the 3-4 if we can get Kennedy and draft a Fat NT.

Here's my dream:

ROLB Schobel

LOLB Maybin

MLB Mitchell

MLB Poz

DE Stroud

DE Kennedy

DT Fat Draftee (Cody?)

do not discount williams! he is one of the top 3 or 4 players on the defense we have he may be second right now only to schobel and byrd!

We already know that will not be the case because the Bills seem too interested in Kelsay. I'd expect him to be in the starting line-up somewhere.

at this time you haveno way of knowing that. first off you dont know who is coming via free agency secondly you have no idea who we are going to draft.

kelsey will have a rolle IMO in rotation @ LB and DE! he really is a very good football player!

Here's my dream:

ROLB Schobel

LOLB Maybin

MLB Mitchell

MLB Poz

DE Stroud

DE Kennedy

DT Fat Draftee (Cody?)

Two LBs who have never played LB before and may well not have the movement skills for the position. Two DEs who have never played the position before, though they wouldn't be expected to rush the passer much, so they might be OK. And, if it's Cody at NT, a guy who can only play 40% of defensive snaps and even at that rate will be exhausted by the end of the game.

That's your killer defense?

Dream on.

Maybin is to small to play DE in the NFL at this moment. If he could put on 25 to 30 LBS he might be ok. Putting him at OLB he can stay around the weight he is and still be effective. He can still rush from the outside and small enough to get back with quicks to cover the back field or a TE. I like the move to OLB. Besides, he was a DE for one year at Penn State. It's not like he has been playing that for his entire life. He can change and maybe he will find it will only benefit him to do so :thumbsup:

Hey, I'm small enough to to get back with quicks to cover the back field or a TE too. Make me an OLB too!!!

As much as Bills fans love to say "That guy has the body to play (fill in new position which the player has never played before here), so he'll definitely be good," more often than not it doesn't work out. Different positions don't just need different body sizes, they require different types of movement, different instincts and often completely different mindsets.

Has Maybin ever covered recievers of any kind? No. So how do you know he can do it? You don't. Chances are decent that he can't. That's "tweener" is not a compliment. Some few guys can do it. Many can't. Assuming that Schobel, Maybin, and whoever our new DEs turn out to be will ALL be able to do it is straining credulity.

Another proposed line-up with 7 question marks at 7 positions.... if 5-7 are the answer, they could be killer. Most likely 2-3 are the answer if the Bills are lucky.

But, but, but ... things always work out perfectly when the Bills have question marks. Look at Langston Walker and Demetrius Bell and Ellison and ... and ... never mind.

Another proposed line-up with 7 question marks at 7 positions.... if 5-7 are the answer, they could be killer. Most likely 2-3 are the answer if the Bills are lucky.

But, but, but ... things always work out perfectly when the Bills have question marks. Look at Langston Walker and Demetrius Bell and Ellison and ... and ... never mind.

Here's my dream:

ROLB Schobel

LOLB Maybin

MLB Mitchell

MLB Poz

DE Stroud

DE Kennedy

DT Fat Draftee (Cody?)

What happens when that fat Cody gets tired after 2 downs, who is going to fill that gap for the rest of the game? Kennedy? Please! and who is their backup? Crazy. Schobel and Kelsey play Linebacker? Dont get it. Both of them are not that quick. We need more than Kennedy and Cody. That is for sure.

Here's my dream:

ROLB Schobel

LOLB Maybin

MLB Mitchell

MLB Poz

DE Stroud

DE Kennedy

DT Fat Draftee (Cody?)

with a secondary of

McGee/ McKelvin/ Florence

Byrd/Wilson/Scott/Whitner

not too shabby. with current depth players on defense, concentrate on building offense and were not that far off.

I'd like to see a trade down in the draft with the first four picks going to the OL and DL.

Here's my dream:

ROLB Schobel

LOLB Maybin

MLB Mitchell

MLB Poz

DE Stroud

DE Kennedy

DT Fat Draftee (Cody?)

Keep in mind that there more than likely will be a lengthy learning curve for our D as they make the transition. :P