Interesting point by Colin Cowherd

ACor58

I am not his biggest fan but he does, on occassion, make some good points.

Cowhered believes that lack of spending in free agency and player movement is a strong indication that the owners believe that there will be a strike in 2011.

Both sides are foolish - they are going to kill the golden goose.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowhered believes that lack of spending in free agency and player movement is a strong indication that the owners believe that there will be a strike in 2011.

People have been saying that since before free agency started Cowherd sucks. He can't come up with an original insightful thought for his life.

Nah this one time I go with the owners. Players salaries have gotten out of hand. That is why newer, bigger, higher priced stadiums are being created. They need the money to pay the players and be profitable.

50-55% of 8 billion dollars is more than enough for the players union to live on. I am also big on putting not only a rookie cap in place, but a position cap as well and have it be a fixed cap.

Many people here in Carolina think that's why Richardson cut so many solid, veteran -- albeit expensive -- players, including Peppers, and has acquired only one small-time player.

I do agree with that, but I also see he is about to make a change coaching wise. Fox is done imho that is why they won't extend his contract.

The other thought process is he is prepping the team for sale.

Could be true, but if you think about all the possible RFA (200+) who were taken off the market, there really only a hand full of guys you can get excited about. There not those 4 or 5 year players who drafted in later rounds that have started to develope into good players after a couple years. What out there are who 30+ year old player or prior IR guys who looking for work. It's ok when your 2 players away, but to try to build a team this year, forget it.

Cowherd...how did he whine this exactly, and how many times did he make that annoying "slurping" sound whle gathering his spit for a good swallow. I am sure that he just bashed all involved and didn't actually take a side.

Cowherd is the one guy that is unlistenable to me. I would be better off sitting through a Shlopp and Bullfrog marathon. He is the one person that I would actually like punching in his !@#$ing head.

It will be a lockout and it is virtually guaranteed to occur. RW may have been a horrible owner for the Bills but he has been good for the NFL. His leadership on AFL/NFL merger, revenue sharing and the TV contracts are what made him a legit HOF member. It's the new owners like Snyder, Jones, and Kraft that think they can turn their team into the Yankess and win all the time by not sharing money. Without revenue sharing the NFL will become as bad as baseball.

Revenue sharing and not a cap is the key to the CBA. The union is right in that the problem right now is between the owners. They won't be able to come to an agreement amongst themselves and therefore there will be no CBA and no football in 2011.

Obama should step in and negotiate a settlement! It will be better for his legacy than health care reform.

Maybe the lack of spending is due to the lack of quality in the FA field.

Or that how in the hell did we get to the point of paying a guy several million dollars a year to basically outrun or knock over the guy in front of him.

Funny how people have differing opinions on sports radio personalities.

I can't stand listening to Stephen A. Smith, but a friend of mine listens to him every day.

For me...Cowherd is currnently hands down the best in the business.

Funny how people have differing opinions on sports radio personalities.

I can't stand listening to Stephen A. Smith, but a friend of mine listens to him every day.

For me...Cowherd is currently hands down the best in the business.

Is that anything like being the tallest midget ... err, "little person"?

Maybe the lack of spending is due to the lack of quality in the FA field.

The lack of quality free agents signing is because, we're basically back to pre cap-era rules.

Meaning a team that drafts a player owns the rights to the player until they have been in the league for atleast 6 years.

Meaning in most cases a player has to wait until they are 28 to get a big Free Agent contract. (Owners didn't give big contracts to players that they already owned for 6 years because, why? Another team has to give up a significant number of picks to try and grab them if they are a RFA. Then you also have the owner collusion angle there)

Very few teams are willing to pay big bucks for a guy that is his late 20s to early 30s.

That's what you have this year a bunch of guys in their late 20s early 30s. No one wants to sign them to a big deal. Peppers is the best thing out there.

Its a perfect system for the owners, and not great for the players.

During the most recent CBA, Most rookie contracts (outside of the top 20 draft picks) are for 3 years with a large roster bonus for the 4th if there is a 4th.

This is perfect for the players because they hit the free agency market when they are in their prime and teams will pay decent money to snatch one of these guys up. None of these players are a sure thing. Its a boom bust type of system. Exactly what the owners hate, put the players love cashing the Free Agent signing bonus checks.

Both parties don't like the current Rookie Contracts, but the players union can't back down on that because if the NFL moves back to an uncap style of free agency the only way players can make mega bucks is to get a huge rookie deal.

Plus you have the greedy new owners in the large cities that feel like they support other owners with the current way revenue is shared. They want a system like the MLB. (Which is beyond horrible for the fans, and most owners.)

So you have owner vs owner conflict as well.

Its a lot of greed. The new rich greedy owners have already built big war chests and know that they could last a lock out\strike season and get what they want. They are more than willing to take a 1-2 year loss to get money like the Steinbrenners get for the next 10.

They are in no hurry to make a deal.

All this is bad for the fans but they know we will be back no matter what.

The fans came back to Baseball, Football, Hockey, and Basketball in the past during labor disputes and as soon as this dispute is over we will be right back there buying tickets. We've got nothing better to do.

Exactly. As usual, Cowherd is wrong.

Cowherd said that the lack of free agent signings is a good indication that the owners believe a lockout is realistic or likely. Doesn't that view support your link?

Also, :devil: to the OP. I heard that segment on his show today and was going to bring it up as well. I found Keith Bullock's interview very interesting. Bullock seemed to be in agreement with Cowherd and made it seem like everyone around the league is bracing for a lockout.

The lack of quality free agents signing is because, we're basically back to pre cap-era rules.

Meaning a team that drafts a player owns the rights to the player until they have been in the league for atleast 6 years.

Meaning in most cases a player has to wait until they are 28 to get a big Free Agent contract. (Owners didn't give big contracts to players that they already owned for 6 years because, why? Another team has to give up a significant number of picks to try and grab them if they are a RFA. Then you also have the owner collusion angle there)

Very few teams are willing to pay big bucks for a guy that is his late 20s to early 30s.

That's what you have this year a bunch of guys in their late 20s early 30s. No one wants to sign them to a big deal. Peppers is the best thing out there.

Its a perfect system for the owners, and not great for the players.

During the most recent CBA, Most rookie contracts (outside of the top 20 draft picks) are for 3 years with a large roster bonus for the 4th if there is a 4th.

This is perfect for the players because they hit the free agency market when they are in their prime and teams will pay decent money to snatch one of these guys up. None of these players are a sure thing. Its a boom bust type of system. Exactly what the owners hate, put the players love cashing the Free Agent signing bonus checks.

Both parties don't like the current Rookie Contracts, but the players union can't back down on that because if the NFL moves back to an uncap style of free agency the only way players can make mega bucks is to get a huge rookie deal.

Plus you have the greedy new owners in the large cities that feel like they support other owners with the current way revenue is shared. They want a system like the MLB. (Which is beyond horrible for the fans, and most owners.)

So you have owner vs owner conflict as well.

Its a lot of greed. The new rich greedy owners have already built big war chests and know that they could last a lock out\strike season and get what they want. They are more than willing to take a 1-2 year loss to get money like the Steinbrenners get for the next 10.

They are in no hurry to make a deal.

All this is bad for the fans but they know we will be back no matter what.

The fans came back to Baseball, Football, Hockey, and Basketball in the past during labor disputes and as soon as this dispute is over we will be right back there buying tickets. We've got nothing better to do.

If you are familiar with the history of the cap this whole mess is yet another result of the government sticking their nose where it does not belong.