What Electric Guitar Should I Buy?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, and only because it seems to matter to Joe, I believe ESP guitars are made in Asia, at least many of them are.

I'm not really sure why that would matter, if the product was quality, but for some it does. Some very good instruments are made in Japan and Korea, IMO.

I don't know how different the craftsmanship is, but objectively speaking American company guitars made outside US use cheaper components across the board including wood, tuners and pickups. They will often change the make up of multi-wood bodies like, for example, mahogany bodies with maple tops will just be solid mahogany or ash.

I find the differences in sound and playability to be quite significant.

You should buy a Hondo.

Hondo

My first guitar was a Hondo Les Paul ... gotta love that plywood construction.

My first guitar was a Cort. The salemsan said it was a "step above" Hondo. Not that I knew what the hell that meant at the time, much less if it was true. But I have fond memories of that guitar (thanks to my bro, who pushed my mom to get it for me).

I was skimming this thread surprised that the ESPs didn't come up. They have great sustain, look fantastic, and come at a lowish price. To me, they are a poor man's Gibson. Here's the one I had.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=516629

That said, I sold mine because I'm mostly an acoustic guy (my baby is a Martin HD-28; also have a Martin D-1 that I can't recommend highly enough as a low end Martin) and now own just an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, which is a step down form the ESP but still plenty of electric for when I decide some Metallica or hard stuff is necessary.

I had a Gibson Les Paul "The Paul" once upon a time and it was OK. The ESP was better...and neither feels as awesome as a real Les Paul, which feels like strapping on a tank.

But I totally and completely think that if you're a decent guitar player and want to just play electric--and have the money--don't get the knock off Epiphone that I have. It's fine for me because I touch it once a month. You'd be better getting a PRS or ESP if you like that Gibson sound but want to avoid the Gibson hefty price tag. You won't feel like you settled and you'll have a great axe.

Either way, the guitars you're looking at are all awesome. I have never played a PRS but they look hot. The double-cutaway is not my preference but theirs looks badass. Let us know what you get.

could pull trigger on one at the right tomorrow

http://www.prsguitars.com/tedmccarty245/index.html

being offered what i think is a good deal

i will test it against a standard McCarty

this one has a shorter scale neck by 1/2", so i need to see how it differs. i think its 1/4" shorter than a Les Paul neck, and the same as the PRS Santana model. and maybe since i have smallish hands it will be better.

obviously WAY OUT of my initial price range BUT i look at it as an investment. and when you find "The One" it just sings and significantly elevates your playing, imo

this one has a shorter scale neck by 1/2", so i need to see how it differs. i think its the same as a Les Paul neck. and maybe since i have smallish hands it will be better.

obviously WAY OUT of my initial price range BUT i look at it as an investment. and when you find "The One" it just sings and significantly elevates your playing, imo

That thing is a work of art. How much?

this one has a shorter scale neck by 1/2", so i need to see how it differs. i think its the same as a Les Paul neck. and maybe since i have smallish hands it will be better.

Excellent call, Joe. Hope you get it and love it.

That thing is a work of art. How much?

Yes, but you really need to play and hear it to appreciate it. Then the aesthetics are that much better.

It really screams and "quacks" like a vintage Les Paul, not as much sustain (nothing I ever tried has), but it's close enough and far better than most. The trade-off is the lower strings are brighter. It's a worthwhile trade-off for me. I really don't find it lacking anything.

it's also considerably lighter than a LP, which i like too ... just wants to be picked up and played!

being offered at $2969, with no interest financing for 1st year.

Yes, but you really need to play and hear it to appreciate it. Then the aesthetics are that much better.

It really screams and "quacks" like a vintage Les Paul, not as much sustain (nothing I ever tried has), but it's close enough and far better than most. The trade-off is the lower strings are brighter. It's a worthwhile trade-off for me. I really don't find it lacking anything.

it's also considerably lighter than a LP, which i like too ... just wants to be picked up and played!

being offered at $2969, with no interest financing for 1st year.

If I had 3K to spend and wanted a new electric, I'd get the LP Standard....forget what it's called these days, but the one with the big honkin' 50s style neck. The think weighs as much as a Buick but it kicks ass.

That PRS you linked to is smoking hot. I prefer the single cutaway...but that's just because it reminds me of a Les Paul.

Whatever you pick, you must link to it. As someone else said in this thread, I fuggin' love other people's guitars. Of course, I love my HD-28 too...a simple but gorgeous work of art. Going to mellow out and play some CSNY right now.

If I had 3K to spend and wanted a new electric, I'd get the LP Standard....forget what it's called these days, but the one with the big honkin' 50s style neck. The think weighs as much as a Buick but it kicks ass.

That PRS you linked to is smoking hot. I prefer the single cutaway...but that's just because it reminds me of a Les Paul.

Whatever you pick, you must link to it. As someone else said in this thread, I fuggin' love other people's guitars. Of course, I love my HD-28 too...a simple but gorgeous work of art. Going to mellow out and play some CSNY right now.

Speaking of LP's, the salesman Ive been working most with (because he's mild mannered and very knowledgable, reasonably honest for a salesman too), recently played a late 50's LP his company owns valued at something like $400K.

he said it truly is amazing. the only guitar he's ever played where they "got everything right ... the wood, the intonation, of course the pickups, and the feel." compared it to "sleeping with a super model" LOL

Speaking of LP's, the salesman Ive been working most with (because he's mild mannered and very knowledgable, reasonably honest for a salesman too), recently played a late 50's LP his company owns valued at something like $400K.

he said it truly is amazing. the only guitar he's ever played where they "got everything right ... the wood, the intonation, of course the pickups, and the feel." compared it to "sleeping with a super model" LOL

So did you bite the bullet??

Guitars a beauty. My friend bought a PRS(diff model) a couple months back, and they treated that thing like an angel, like 2 of them carried it over to the case where they gently set her in and said to him " We will know if you dont take care of this one" it was pretty funny stuff. Guitar salesman are really donw to earth people. Cause they actually like what they are selling.

I can't imagine how the original LP from the 50s must be. The new ones based on that model are so awesome. If I strummed a chord now, it would still be ringing when the Bills win a Superbowl.

And yes, you've got all the guitar-heads excited...you have to tell us what you get. You're not looking at a single bad guitar.

"Listen to it, just listen to it. The sustain, just listen"

"I'm not hearing anything"

"You would though if it were playing"

this one has a shorter scale neck by 1/2", so i need to see how it differs. i think its 1/4" shorter than a Les Paul neck, and the same as the PRS Santana model. and maybe since i have smallish hands it will be better.

Soooo .... ?

Soooo .... ?

got one today!!!

same model but different guitar. after 2 days of intense negotiations, got an even sweeter deal!

compared it to a Les Paul Standard today and sustain was similar. If PRS McCarty can hold it's own with a Les Paul Standard, that's all I need to know about sustain.

I LOVE THIS GUITAR!

I really feel it's been the one I've been looking for in my 30+ years of playing.

Thanks for all the input guys ... appreciate it!!!

got one today!!!

same model but different guitar. after 2 days of intense negotiations, got an even sweeter deal!

compared it to a Les Paul Standard today and sustain was similar. If PRS McCarty can hold it's own with a Les Paul Standard, that's all I need to know about sustain.

I LOVE THIS GUITAR!

I really feel it's been the one I've been looking for in my 30+ years of playing.

Thanks for all the input guys ... appreciate it!!!

Link to the one you got. We'd all love to see it...assuming you can break away from it.