OT: Will Peyton Manning be the greatest QB ever?

daquixers

Will Peyton Manning be the greatest QB ever when his career is over?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Will Peyton Manning be the greatest QB ever when his career is over?

• Yes
    • No
    • Most likely
    • Not a chance

ESPN's analysists just had a take at this - it was interesting - they said this is probably the best season by a QB ever. At the end of Peyton Manning's career (barring no injury) do you believe he will be the greatest QB of all time? I think if he continues even SOMEWHAT close to where he is now, he will be the greatest QB of all time.

If he plays just 6 (12 total season) more years his numbers should be:

52,149 yards

386 TD's

217 TD's

91.0 passer rating

If he plays the Dan Marino 17 year career then his numbers should be:

68,195 yards (7,000 more than Marino)

504 TD's (84 more than Marino)

289 INT's (37 more than Marino)

91.0 passer rating

BTW: Peyton isnt exactly injury prone as he has started 106 straight games ... maybe that has to do with the fact that he has only been sacked like 6 times this year.

Unless you mean best pure passer, neither Marino or Manning are the best QB ever. They may set the record, but until you lead a team to a Championship you are not one of the great "QuarterBacks".

Guys like Montana, Favre, Young, Unitas but their teams on their shoulders and WILLED them to win. All Marino and Manning (to this point in his career) have done is set passing records.

IMHO,,,The greatest QB of All time already wore a Baltimore Colts jersey...#19

John Unitas....

But that is just the 'old school' in me

133672[/snapback]

I wholeheartedly agree. I haven't seen a better QB than Unitas and that includes Elway, Montana, Marino, Kelly, and Favre.

The key number in assessing Manning is not the 41 and counting number which measures whether he will surpass fellow non-SB winner Marino for the record, but the 2 and counting number which measures the playoff wins he has brought to the team that drafted him (he finally surpassed Ryan Leaf in terms of playoff victory delivery last year.

This IS NOT to claim that SB wins are the only measure of greatness. I think SB appearances are a truer measure of greatness. It means that the QB has won a series of must-win playoff appearances. It speaks to Jim Kelly's greatness as one of the best there ever was.

Still making the playoffs and winning in the playoffs is why players do what they do and it certainly can not be discounted completely only to focus on gaudy stat numbers.

I think Dan Marino is a far better passer than Jim Kelly. but if you gave me a choice of QBs for my tem there would be no question in my mind which one to take.

I'd certainly vote for Manning if by greatest QB you mean greatest passer, but if by greatest QB you mean what i think of as greatest QB, just win baby is what this is about.

I believe that if manning gets to a super bowl, and continues for 7-10 years at the pace he's going at now, he'll be considered the greatest ever. Not yet though. He could get injured next sunday. Longevity, clutch wins, and statistics all play into the "best ever" category. So far, he's got statistics... What's scary though is that his career is still young. I guess to answer hte poll questions, "stay tuned"

Guest Chopblock

Once again, if Brady wins a third SB....he would have to be at least MENTIONED in this argument.....I hate the Pats and i cant dispute it too much.

i have to say yes. Manning will get his ring at some point, he is starting to get the team around that is required to win championships. And with the comparisons to Morono, Manning is much more of a leader and field general. He doesn't have as quick of a release as morono, but he is by far the better team player.

i have to say yes. Manning will get his ring at some point, he is starting to get the team around that is required to win championships. And with the comparisons to Morono, Manning is much more of a leader and field general. He doesn't have as quick of a release as morono, but he is by far the better team player.

134764[/snapback]

He may not have as quick of a release as Morono but I don't think he's

as good as a team player as Montono

He may not have as quick of  a release as Morono but I don't think he's

as good as a team player as Montono

134765[/snapback]

agreed mr guest but montana (gotta respect real greatness), was not as great of a passer as manning. Peyton is the best mixture of both worlds

I also said no. Not as a knock on Manning really but simply because there is no fair way to compair players throughout different eras. Athletes continue to evolve and become faster, stronger and more athletic. 20 years from now there may very well be a QB that can run faster than Vick, throw harder than Farve, have more accuracy than Manning and have even more poise as Brady.

Now if you asked the question "Will Manning be considered the best QB of his generation" I may have to say yes if Farve is not considered amungst Manning's generation.

I also said no. Not as a knock on Manning really but simply because there is no fair way to compair players throughout different eras. Athletes continue to evolve and become faster, stronger and more athletic. 20 years from now there may very well be a QB that can run faster than Vick, throw  harder than Farve, have more accuracy than Manning and have even more poise as Brady.

Now if you asked the question "Will Manning be considered the best QB of his generation" I may have to say yes if Farve is not considered amungst Manning's generation.

134773[/snapback]

Can't compare Qb's of different eras and ones that play inside and ones that play outside.