Franchise QB is the only thing....

We need a franchise QB to lead this team. I know that's an obvious statement, but here's my take. Anything else in my opinion isn't worth draft picks at all, especially before round 5. We are one of the many teams in the NFL that need to keep trying to find that guy, and never settle. Even if its painful we need to just recognize when a player isn't going to be that guy and move on quicker. We just haven't been lucky enough to land that guy.

Why even think about guys like Jackson, Campbell, Orton, Pennington, etc? The only reason to go after these types are to claw your way to 9 wins to just be respectable.

It just seems like the Bills haven't been focused on this obvious goal enough. I hope the new regime spends the necessary time needed to solve this problem. I would support them on any bold move they would make. If they evaluate Bradford has a franchise QB, then give up what ever it takes including 2 first round picks. What QB in the first list below would you not give that up for (except Favre of course)?

When you have a franchise QB all the glaring holes mysteriously get smaller. San Diego lost some RB's, but it doesn't matter they will win with Rivers.

Put any of these QB's on the Bills roster and we are a dangerous playoff team:

Manning

Brady

Brees

Favre

Rivers

Roethlisberger

Rodgers

I think we make the playoff's with these guys:

Ryan

Romo

Schaub

Cutler

Eli

Flacco

Palmer

Mcnabb

We need a franchise QB to lead this team. I know that's an obvious statement, but here's my take. Anything else in my opinion isn't worth draft picks at all, especially before round 5. We are one of the many teams in the NFL that need to keep trying to find that guy, and never settle. Even if its painful we need to just recognize when a player isn't going to be that guy and move on quicker. We just haven't been lucky enough to land that guy.

Why even think about guys like Jackson, Campbell, Orton, Pennington, etc? The only reason to go after these types are to claw your way to 9 wins to just be respectable.

It just seems like the Bills haven't been focused on this obvious goal enough. I hope the new regime spends the necessary time needed to solve this problem. I would support them on any bold move they would make. If they evaluate Bradford has a franchise QB, then give up what ever it takes including 2 first round picks. What QB in the first list below would you not give that up for (except Favre of course)?

When you have a franchise QB all the glaring holes mysteriously get smaller. San Diego lost some RB's, but it doesn't matter they will win with Rivers.

Put any of these QB's on the Bills roster and we are a dangerous playoff team:

Manning

Brady

Brees

Favre

Rivers

Roethlisberger

Rodgers

I think we make the playoff's with these guys:

Ryan

Romo

Schaub

Cutler

Eli

Flacco

Palmer

Mcnabb

You know I love these posts. I love to read how ignorant some fans can truly be. Look at the names of the QBS you have mentioned and Look at where their team was postionally before they got the QB. THe QBS team in the aformentioned list was TEAM READY for a QB which means the only real thing the team need was a QB -or a FRanchise QB as youu stated.

Our team well our team needs soo many things the adding in that rookie "Franchise QB" will do nothing but what it has done to previous QBS like JP and TE both who had the potential to be a Francchise QB. THE OL needs to be fixed first, We need receievers that can catch the ball and more importantly since we are talking about an inexperienced QB WE need a defense we can count on to win the games for us.

My position we build the lines fill the defense and ride out the current QB roster and if so needed DRAFT one NEXT YEAR!!

By the way the only QB on that list that needs no help is Peyton Manning and his brother ELI is no good the only thing that makes him look good is his surrounding players and great defense at least until last season!

You know I love these posts. I love to read how ignorant some fans can truly be. Look at the names of the QBS you have mentioned and Look at where their team was postionally before they got the QB. THe QBS team in the aformentioned list was TEAM READY for a QB which means the only real thing the team need was a QB -or a FRanchise QB as youu stated.

Our team well our team needs soo many things the adding in that rookie "Franchise QB" will do nothing but what it has done to previous QBS like JP and TE both who had the potential to be a Francchise QB. THE OL needs to be fixed first, We need receievers that can catch the ball and more importantly since we are talking about an inexperienced QB WE need a defense we can count on to win the games for us.

My position we build the lines fill the defense and ride out the current QB roster and if so needed DRAFT one NEXT YEAR!!

By the way the only QB on that list that needs no help is Peyton Manning and his brother ELI is no good the only thing that makes him look good is his surrounding players and great defense at least until last season!

Ignorant is a strong word, but maybe that makes you feel like your point is taken more seriously (its not). Just state your opinion without the rhetoric.

Your point on TEAM READY isn't applicable for all the teams. The Saints and Chargers weren't nearly ready. So that's my point. The reverse argument can be made. When you get that franchise QB he can make a team that appears not very good, very good indeed. Then you plug a hole here and there like the saints did and go. Without Brees this doesn't happen.

We have a fundamental disagreement. I think our team is better and more talented than our QB play will allow. You think no matter what QB comes in here, we're not talented enough to win.

Ignorant is a strong word, but maybe that makes you feel like your point is taken more seriously (its not). Just state your opinion without the rhetoric.

Your point on TEAM READY isn't applicable for all the teams. The Saints and Chargers weren't nearly ready. So that's my point. The reverse argument can be made. When you get that franchise QB he can make a team that appears not very good, very good indeed. Then you plug a hole here and there like the saints did and go. Without Brees this doesn't happen.

saints have spent some high picks on their lines too, a qb alone doesnt make the team, he helps them turn the corner. Would a franchise level qb help this team absolutely, but we gotta give him some help with the oline too, see how atl drafted baker with ryan, that wasnt a mistake.

If you're going to call someone else ignorrant, you should ensure that you're not being so yourself.

Team ready? You've got to be kidding me.

- The Colts were 1-15 the year before they drafted Manning, and went 3-13 his rookie year

- New England was 5-11 with Drew Bledsoe at the helm in 2000, and he thew for almost 4,000 yards the previous season (the one prior to when they drafted Brady)

- The Chargers were 1-15 the year before they drafted Brees, and 4-12 the year they drafted Rivers (with Brees at the helm)

- Pittsburgh was 6-10 the year before they drafted Big Ben, and sported the 22nd ranked offense (and were dead last in rushing) and 15th ranked defense in the NFL

What about those teams says "team ready" to you?

saints have spent some high picks on their lines too, a qb alone doesnt make the team, he helps them turn the corner. Would a franchise level qb help this team absolutely, but we gotta give him some help with the oline too, see how atl drafted baker with ryan, that wasnt a mistake.

I am not saying that ALL the other players are irrelevant to winning. I'm simply saying the Bills are talented, and our QB play doesn't allow that to manifest. Matt Ryan turns Lee Evans into Roddy White.

If you're going to call someone else ignorrant, you should ensure that you're not being so yourself.

- The Colts were 1-15 the year before they drafted Manning, and went 3-13 his rookie year

- New England was 5-11 with Drew Bledsoe at the helm in 2000, and he thew for almost 4,000 yards the previous season (the one prior to when they drafted Brady)

- The Chargers were 1-15 the year before they drafted Brees, and 4-12 the year they drafted Rivers (with Brees at the helm)

- Pittsburgh was 6-10 the year before they drafted Big Ben, and sported the 22nd ranked offense (and were dead last in rushing) and 15th ranked defense in the NFL

I'll also add that the Bills have rarely been a well-run organization and will never be a popular place for free agents. A franchise QB can mask a lot of those problems. Nothing else really can.

They did indeed, but Baker had only 5 starts that season. They also let their top 3 linemen leave in FA that offseason and started a 3rd-year practice squad player at RG and an 3rd-year 6th round pick at RT.

WHen Rivers took over for Brees they were a playoff team. TEAM READY.

When BRees went to the saints the saints were team ready and went to the playoffs in his first year again thats TEAM READY!

Our team is no where near team ready. We have had 9 qbs and none have proved to be anyting. Drafted anothe unkown and dishing out buig bucks is a diaster until the team is ready.

We can do just fine with any of the three qbs we have now. Draft quality positions players fill some holes and if it still looks like we need a QB next season then we take one.

Besides WHo is worth a first round pick a broken Bradford one more hit to the shoulder the guy could be done. Claussen toes not much of an injury but an injury non the less. THere is NOONE worth Drafting in the first ROUND PERIOD!.

Ignorance isnt a strong word it just means a lack of knowledge. With a team that has a HC that has been highly succesful with lower tier players and your needs at OL/DL/WR/LB runs deep and you cant fix everything this season common sense states we see what we have let Gailey see if THe annointed one is capable of being succesful he has a year left on his contract anyway. Also Trent is better suited for Gaileys offense. A FRANCHISE QB is drafted in the first round and we should not waste a first round pick on a QB when we have higher needs. Thats not saying if one is available in the 4th round or later we shouldnt take them it just means our top 3 picks need to be anything but a QB.

You cant look at the stsndings and say that the team wasnt Team ready becuase of their record you have to know the team how did the team perform and will a QB performance have it perform better.

The colts Had all the right Peices and Manning need only 1 year to go and make mistakes and turn into the QB he is today. He is the execption.

Bledsoe was the QB before Brady took over. Brady took over the exact same team that Bledsoe had and turned them into a dynasty. THE EXACT SAME TEAM!!! We got bledsoe right after that season and well you know how succesful he was for us!!!

Brees was a 2nd rd QB the organization didnt see him as the franchis QB which is why the drafted rivers. Brees went 12-4 just the season before all the peices were inplace for rivers to come in.

Steelers are you kidding me they had the two had monster running backs and a strong OL and a great defense and your going to tell me they were not team ready are you serious?

WHen Rivers took over for Brees they were a playoff team. TEAM READY.

When BRees went to the saints the saints were team ready and went to the playoffs in his first year again thats TEAM READY!

Our team is no where near team ready. We have had 9 qbs and none have proved to be anyting. Drafted anothe unkown and dishing out buig bucks is a diaster until the team is ready.

We can do just fine with any of the three qbs we have now. Draft quality positions players fill some holes and if it still looks like we need a QB next season then we take one.

Besides WHo is worth a first round pick a broken Bradford one more hit to the shoulder the guy could be done. Claussen toes not much of an injury but an injury non the less. THere is NOONE worth Drafting in the first ROUND PERIOD!.

Ignorance isnt a strong word it just means a lack of knowledge. With a team that has a HC that has been highly succesful with lower tier players and your needs at OL/DL/WR/LB runs deep and you cant fix everything this season common sense states we see what we have let Gailey see if THe annointed one is capable of being succesful he has a year left on his contract anyway. Also Trent is better suited for Gaileys offense. A FRANCHISE QB is drafted in the first round and we should not waste a first round pick on a QB when we have higher needs. Thats not saying if one is available in the 4th round or later we shouldnt take them it just means our top 3 picks need to be anything but a QB.

The Saints were 3-13 the year before Brees got there.

For all the crap the Bills get here, looking at our QBs the past 4 years (Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick), averaging 7 wins is a borderline miracle. It's really not a stretch to think a franchise guy can take us to the playoffs. Chad Pennington helped take a 1-15 Fins team to the playoffs.

You cant look at the stsndings and say that the team wasnt Team ready becuase of their record you have to know the team how did the team perform and will a QB performance have it perform better.

The colts Had all the right Peices and Manning need only 1 year to go and make mistakes and turn into the QB he is today. He is the execption.

Bledsoe was the QB before Brady took over. Brady took over the exact same team that Bledsoe had and turned them into a dynasty. THE EXACT SAME TEAM!!! We got bledsoe right after that season and well you know how succesful he was for us!!!

Brees was a 2nd rd QB the organization didnt see him as the franchis QB which is why the drafted rivers. Brees went 12-4 just the season before all the peices were inplace for rivers to come in.

Steelers are you kidding me they had the two had monster running backs and a strong OL and a great defense and your going to tell me they were not team ready are you serious?

If you take Peyton Manning off the Colts this year, they are one of the worst teams in the NFL as evidence by the Bills and Jets game. You're overthinking things. Manning for any of the Bills' QBs switches both teams' fates tremedously.

There are teams like the Jets (who also had a ton of luck) and Ravens who can win despite their QB play. But they are the exception rather than the norm in today's NFL. A Bills team that averages 7 wins with a Losman/Edwards/Fitzpatrick poo poo platter is a playoff team with any of the top 10 QBs.

The Saints were 3-13 the year before Brees got there.

For all the crap the Bills get here, looking at our QBs the past 4 years (Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick), averaging 7 wins is a borderline miracle. It's really not a stretch to think a franchise guy can take us to the playoffs. Chad Pennington helped take a 1-15 Fins team to the playoffs.

I love all the positive talk about Brees. If there is an archive to when he was a free agent and how many on this board DID NOT WANT him it would be amazing to see who those people were and change their stance.

We could have had brees instead of JP but noone like him or though he was anygood all his negatives were the same for JP and now TE.

If you take Peyton Manning off the Colts this year, they are one of the worst teams in the NFL as evidence by the Bills and Jets game. You're overthinking things. Manning for any of the Bills' QBs switches both teams' fates tremedously.

There are teams like the Jets (who also had a ton of luck) and Ravens who can win despite their QB play. But they are the exception rather than the norm in today's NFL. A Bills team that averages 7 wins with a Losman/Edwards/Fitzpatrick poo poo platter is a playoff team with any of the top 10 QBs.

I think my point is being misconstrued and exagerated oout into somethingits not.

1. DO I believe we need a Franchise QB? YES I DO

2. DO I feel we need to waste a draft pick on it in the first three rounds of this years draft? NO I DONT

3. DO I feel that Chan gailey can make any QB on our roster now effective enough to win consistently this season? YES I DO

4. DO I Feel there are more pressing needs on this roster then a QB? YES I DO

5. DO I think IF Trent or others fail this year we should go after a QB next season? YES I DO

6. DO I feel that the top 2 QB prospects will turn into a frchise QB for any tem in the futere? NO I DONT.

QBS are a crap shoot. Trent is perfectly capable of running this offense. You will see Chan work his magic with him and that gives Brohm a year under his sytem as well to see if he will be worht anything. im supporting TE and I am not a fan of him. But understanding what Chan is capable of if anyone can maximize his potential Chan gaily can.

So to recap YES we need a franchise QB do we need to draft one on the first day no we dont. DO i still think theres aachacne that Edwards could be well he has the same chance as any other unproven rookie QB doesnt he?

I think my point is being misconstrued and exagerated oout into somethingits not.

1. DO I believe we need a Franchise QB? YES I DO

2. DO I feel we need to waste a draft pick on it in the first three rounds of this years draft? NO I DONT

3. DO I feel that Chan gailey can make any QB on our roster now effective enough to win consistently this season? YES I DO

4. DO I Feel there are more pressing needs on this roster then a QB? YES I DO

5. DO I think IF Trent or others fail this year we should go after a QB next season? YES I DO

6. DO I feel that the top 2 QB prospects will turn into a frchise QB for any tem in the futere? NO I DONT.

QBS are a crap shoot. Trent is perfectly capable of running this offense. You will see Chan work his magic with him and that gives Brohm a year under his sytem as well to see if he will be worht anything. im supporting TE and I am not a fan of him. But understanding what Chan is capable of if anyone can maximize his potential Chan gaily can.

So to recap YES we need a franchise QB do we need to draft one on the first day no we dont. DO i still think theres aachacne that Edwards could be well he has the same chance as any other unproven rookie QB doesnt he?

Nicely stated.

People tend to see things as mutually exclusive, black or white, this or that. Both the QB and the lines need upgrading. Doing either/or would most likely help this team. What I want to see is a commitment to doing it right. IF Nix and Gailey think either Bradford or Clausen is the answer (or whomever, for that matter), then I want them to do what it takes to get him. If not, then I want them to do what it takes to fix the lines. I'm tired of grabbing the also rans and expecting miracles. For example, the belief is that we wanted Big Ben, and instead of doing what it took to get him, we rolled the dice that he would fall to us, he went to Pittsburgh, and we reached for JP. This is the S*&T I'm sick of. Identify who you want and get him. Stop shopping in the clearance section. If they are wrong in their assessment, at least they had the stones to go with it, and can say they did what it took to try to make it happen. Am I saying that that player is available? No, but my opinion isn't the one that matters.

What "right pieces" did the Colts have? Looking at their roster, they had their 1st and 2nd round picks from 1997 playing RG and LT, and 3 other castoffs that bombed out of the league within 2 years playing on their OL. Marshall Faulk was coming off of his worst NFL season, and Marvin was in his 2nd season and had failed to top 900 yards receiving.

I realize what happened in New England...my point is simply that a "team ready" team, let alone one coached by Bill Belichick, wouldn't have gone 5-11, finished 22nd in the NFL in total offense (26th in rushing and 19th in passing), or finished 20th in the NFL in total defense; it certainly wouldn't feature a leading rusher that gained a mere 570 yards either.

I am also well aware of what happened in San Diego. When Brees came in, that team was coming off of a season where they went 6-10 with Flutie at QB. They had a bottom-third defense and a young, inexperienced offensive line. You seem to be missing my point: how were they "team ready" as you claim?

Oh, and as I already pointed out to you, that Pittsburgh team with the "monster" backs, "strong OL", and "great defense"...finished DEAD LAST in the NFL in rushing offense in 2003 (the year before they drafted Big Ben), allowed 41 sacks (which didn't stop Tommy Maddox from throwing for over 3,400 yards and 18 TDs), and 15th in scoring defense.

None of those sound particularly "team ready" to me.