Buffalo Bills will not draft a QB...

I know, I know...you all want links...but take this into consideration....

All the teams that made the playoffs had average to above average Offensive Lines.

Buffalo was way below average due to all the injuries sustained.

If your QB is getting hit on a 5 step drop consistently before he hits step 5. How do you expect him to be effective?

If he is constantly being harrassed, he will constantly dump it off.

I highly doubt TE, RF, and BB all have a similar checkdown attitude. But if you keep getting rear ended, you are going to alter your approach.

So, in my personal opinion, Buffalo will NOT draft a QB in the top 5 rounds of the draft. They will, however, take 1 OT in the first round, a DT in the 2nd round, and then stock up on backup players for OT and LBs during the next 3 rounds.

oh yeah...i know i dont have many 'posts', but i tend to read these and not reply the 1 liners like most.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the teams that made the playoffs had average to above average Offensive Lines.

If your QB is getting hit on a 5 step drop consistently before he hits step 5. How do you expect him to be effective?

I highly doubt TE, RF, and BB all have a similar checkdown attitude. But if you keep getting rear ended, you are going to alter your approach.

So, in my personal opinion, Buffalo will NOT draft a QB in the top 5 rounds of the draft. They will, however, take 1 OT in the first round, a DT in the 2nd round, and then stock up on backup players for OT and LBs during the next 3 rounds.

oh yeah...i know i dont have many 'posts', but i tend to read these and not reply the 1 liners like most.

I think like you. I would rather take a LT in the first to help any QB stay on his feet. Hopefully, the Bills feel the same way. The only way, however, I see them trying to grab a QB in the 1st possibly is if they sign some great OTs in FA.

Personally I hope you're right, but I think our new HC/OC is going to want to start his next project ASAP. Unless he really likes one of the guys we've got then I think a move will be made to bring in a rookie. Just not sure how aggressive they will be about it...like will they get a QB at #9? ...trade back into Rd 1? Go with someone later that Chan thinks is a diamond in the rough?

We don't expect links on what is clearly an opinion. It's when stuff is presented as facts that links are needed. "This pundit said this," will get me asking for a link if I've never seen that pundit saying anything like it.

I disagree with that opinion, but it's certainly a possibility. And there's no question at all that you're right when you say that the OL needs a lot of work. But IMHO we aren't worried about next year, because without saying it, the front office knows that we are rebuilding. Our focus has switched to two or three years from now, and while I expect us to consider OL a premiere need, chances for a premiere QB come along once in a full moon, so if we get a shot at Bradford or Clausen, I expect us to take it. But like yours, mine is just an opinion.

Personally I hope you're right, but I think our new HC/OC is going to want to start his next project ASAP. Unless he really likes one of the guys we've got then I think a move will be made to bring in a rookie. Just not sure how aggressive they will be about it...like will they get a QB at #9? ...trade back into Rd 1? Go with someone later that Chan thinks is a diamond in the rough?

I could see Chan wanting to start fresh with a new QB. But I really would like to see them draft a QB in the later rounds (3rd-5th). Only time will tell...this draft will define the Nix/Gailey era...I'm rootign for them.

I think like you. I would rather take a LT in the first to help any QB stay on his feet. Hopefully, the Bills feel the same way. The only way, however, I see them trying to grab a QB in the 1st possibly is if they sign some great OTs in FA.

Denver had a probowl LT, did they make the playoffs? The teams with top QB's made the playoffs, the two best went to the superbowl.

If you want to go far, you need a QB, people to protect the QB, and people to go after the other team's QB. Currently the Bills are 0-for-3. They'd be well served to go after the QB first, if there's an opportunity to get a franchise type player when the pick. Like Thurman pointed out, the focus is probably not (and should not be) on instant results for 2010. It's on two to three years out, as it should be.

Marv focused on the short-term. In 2006 he had the chance to take Cutler, but chose Whitner instead! He wanted an instant upgrade to the defense--at SS and DT--and ignored the fact that there were far better players available both when the Bills took Whitner at 8th overall, and when they took McCargo later in the first round. He was open about his short-sighed approach, saying that if you prepare for the future, you're preparing for someone else's future. At first his short-sighted approach seemed to pay dividends, because the team went 7-9 despite turning over a large portion of the roster. But ultimately his tenure as a GM was an almost unmitigated disaster.

Like Thurman said, our focus should be on two to three years out, rather than making the upcoming season as non-dismal as possible. Yes, a quarterback is useless if he's lying on his back. And no, we can't keep any QB off his back right now. But if the opportunity to add a first-rate QB comes along right now, the Bills should take advantage of it. In two to three years we will be able to protect that quarterback if the front office has any competence at all! And we may only have one opportunity (at most) to add a franchise-level quarterback to this roster over the next two to three years.

I would agree. There is too much need for top talent/youth on the OL, LB, and at NT. I think they may grab an underachieving vet QB in FA (Derek Anderson is rumored to become available (per NFL Total Access)). And then focus on OL and LB. I think this will be their strategy.

However, if Bradford or Clausen is available, I think they pick one of those. Then they would focus on OT. Not saying I agree with this strategy, just what I expect them to do.

All of the teams that went to the playoffs also had above average Quarterbacks that could actually throw the ball down the field, and not check down all the time. A good QB can also make an offensive line look above average. It is a two way street.

yeah and realize this Joe Flacco, Peyton Manning, Mark Sanchez, Phillip Rivers, Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, Kurt Warner, Aaron Rodgers, Tony Romo, Donovan Mcnabb, Brett Favre, and Drew Brees. these were the playoff teams of 2009 and all i heard throughout the sb and nfc champ was how brees d and o lines hold up against Jared Allen, Robert Mathis, Dwight Freeney and they one the SUPER BOWL with the best quarterback in the league.

I think it all comes down to who is available... If Clausen or Bradford are there (assuming they like them both) I think they pull the trigger... Especially if all of the big 4 tackles are off the board. I don't see a trade up scenario, but I would like to see them move out(down) of number 9 if they don't have "the" tackle they like or the QB they like there... We'll see next month... Can't wait.

Denver had a probowl LT, did they make the playoffs? The teams with top QB's made the playoffs, the two best went to the superbowl.

Really???

Pittsburgh has one of the best QB's, terrible line - No Playoffs

Houston - top 10 Qb - no playoffs

Giants - top Qb - average line this season - no playoffs

Redskins - you seem to like their QB more then ours- bad line - no playoffs

Ravens - Top half of league Qb - average line at best - no playoffs

Panthers - Good QB - poor line - no playoffs

Kansas City - Good QB - horrible line - no playoffs

Seattle - Good Qb - bad line - no playoffs

Yet you have teams like:

Jets - Really poor QB play this season - top tier Oline - Conference championship game

Bengals - Poor Qb play this season - good oline - playoffs

You have realistically at least half of the top half of the leagues QB's who didn't make the playoffs, mostly because they have a piss poor line in front of them. It is nice to have both, but you can win with poor Qb play by limiting his involvement (see the Jets) by having a superior line. But a good QB cannot overcome bad line play. Do not think teams like Indy, Arizona, etc.. have bad line, they just don't have dominating lines. But they are still above average. The Bills had a really horrible line, just like the Redskins. Neither came close to sniffing the playoffs.

If you want to go far, you need a QB, people to protect the QB, and people to go after the other team's QB. Currently the Bills are 0-for-3. They'd be well served to go after the QB first, if there's an opportunity to get a franchise type player when the pick. Like Thurman pointed out, the focus is probably not (and should not be) on instant results for 2010. It's on two to three years out, as it should be.

Marv focused on the short-term. In 2006 he had the chance to take Cutler, but chose Whitner instead! He wanted an instant upgrade to the defense--at SS and DT--and ignored the fact that there were far better players available both when the Bills took Whitner at 8th overall, and when they took McCargo later in the first round. He was open about his short-sighed approach, saying that if you prepare for the future, you're preparing for someone else's future. At first his short-sighted approach seemed to pay dividends, because the team went 7-9 despite turning over a large portion of the roster. But ultimately his tenure as a GM was an almost unmitigated disaster.

Like Thurman said, our focus should be on two to three years out, rather than making the upcoming season as non-dismal as possible. Yes, a quarterback is useless if he's lying on his back. And no, we can't keep any QB off his back right now. But if the opportunity to add a first-rate QB comes along right now, the Bills should take advantage of it. In two to three years we will be able to protect that quarterback if the front office has any competence at all! And we may only have one opportunity (at most) to add a franchise-level quarterback to this roster over the next two to three years.

If the goal is to build in 2 or 3 years, according, we should look into the possibility of trading down and acquiring an extra first round pick for 2011, right? Or, getting extra selections in this draft. It would appear that we could have done this last year, whereas the team that picked AFTER us in round 2 did exactly this (after we drafted Byrd).

To be honest, I don't like this draft very much unless McClain falls to us, which I don't think will happen.

Really???

Pittsburgh has one of the best QB's, terrible line - No Playoffs

Houston - top 10 Qb - no playoffs

Giants - top Qb - average line this season - no playoffs

Redskins - you seem to like their QB more then ours- bad line - no playoffs

Ravens - Top half of league Qb - average line at best - no playoffs

Panthers - Good QB - poor line - no playoffs

Kansas City - Good QB - horrible line - no playoffs

Seattle - Good Qb - bad line - no playoffs

Yet you have teams like:

Jets - Really poor QB play this season - top tier Oline - Conference championship game

Bengals - Poor Qb play this season - good oline - playoffs

You have realistically at least half of the top half of the leagues QB's who didn't make the playoffs, mostly because they have a piss poor line in front of them. It is nice to have both, but you can win with poor Qb play by limiting his involvement (see the Jets) by having a superior line. But a good QB cannot overcome bad line play. Do not think teams like Indy, Arizona, etc.. have bad line, they just don't have dominating lines. But they are still above average. The Bills had a really horrible line, just like the Redskins. Neither came close to sniffing the playoffs.

Good stuff! <_<

We don't expect links on what is clearly an opinion. It's when stuff is presented as facts that links are needed. "This pundit said this," will get me asking for a link if I've never seen that pundit saying anything like it.

I disagree with that opinion, but it's certainly a possibility. And there's no question at all that you're right when you say that the OL needs a lot of work. But IMHO we aren't worried about next year, because without saying it, the front office knows that we are rebuilding. Our focus has switched to two or three years from now, and while I expect us to consider OL a premiere need, chances for a premiere QB come along once in a full moon, so if we get a shot at Bradford or Clausen, I expect us to take it. But like yours, mine is just an opinion.

Three years from now there may no longer be a Buffalo Bills team. But if there is one, it will have a new GM and coach.

They have been "rebuilding" for at least ten years and the team is no better than it was. In fact, there were not many years during the last decade that they looked as bad as they did in 2009. Lowering our expectations is what every new staff attempts to do, but I'm not buying it. Raising ticket prices is fine. But I expect a commensurate improvement in the entertainment to go along with it.

Historically, teams with good running games and top defenses and average QBs make the playoffs and sometimes even the Superbowl. Also historically, teams with great passing games, average running games and average defenses (may make the playoffs but no SBs (Dan Marino comes to mind). I'd take the team with an average QB, good D & rush game. Take LOT, NT, LB rds 1-3, WR or TE rd 4, QB rd -5. Rd 6 & 7 is special team fodder. Also must sign a ROT, NT, WR and OLB in FA.

Don't bet your rent money on that, you will be homeless.

I strongly disagree with your premise and actually feel like it's backwards. In general, the QB was and still is the most important ingredient for playoff bound teams...

Let's break down the final eight teams...

Brees - Saints OL ...great QB, average line

Manning - Colts OL ...great QB, worst run game in the NFL and a QB who's the fastest at getting rid of the ball

Favre - Vikings OL ...great QB, very good OL

Sanchez - Jets OL ...rookie QB (not good yet), very good OL team that won with a strong defense

Warner - Cards OL ...great QB, average line

Romo - Cowboys OL ...good QB, good line, push

Rivers - Chargers OL ...very good QB, very good line equals push

Flacco - Ravens OL ...average QB, very good line, team that won with a strong defense

The only two teams that support your contention that it is the better offensive line play rather than the QB play which propelled their team to the playoffs were the Jets and Ravens, with both teams getting there because of their defensive play.

The NFL is a passing league and having a great QB is by far more important than having a great offensive line. With few exceptions, this has been the superhighway path to success in this league since forever. With that being said, The Bills will not even given the chance to draft Bradford (the only guy who is franchise worthy) since the Rams will probably select him. In the end, the Bills will probably select an OT at #9. But that doesn't change the fact that finding a very good QB is the highest priority of any NFL team wishing to not only make, but have success in the playoffs.

I agree with the 1st two sentences and the focus on the next 2-3 years.

It appears that there were a lot of people influenced that draft, like DJ and RW. Remember we thought we were set with Losman at QB, so Cutler is pretty much hindsight 20-20. There's a good article by John Clayton of all people that explains why teams like the Bills choose players like Donte Whitner in the 1st round. I'm not saying this is fact, just that it makes total sense given the some of the choices. Bottom line - a safety as the 8th player chosen overall costs way less than a QB. Yeah, McCargo turned out to be a bad choice, and Youbouty not much better. We did get Kyle Williams though!

What bothers me most is that you want to get your franchise QB now and worry about protecting him later. Seems like a lot of "pretty good" QBs would improve this team behind a solid O-line, and beefing up the d-line would help win some games by making stops on 3rd down plays.

The bolded part IMO is a ridiculous reason to draft a franchise QB in April. In theory, you might have a case, but there's not enough justification to pull the trigger this year when there's so many holes in other places that you can't just trade for or get a FA to fill. Maybe the biggest reason is that this year's draft is so strong in OL/DL and so-so in QBs.