Buffalo Bills will not draft a QB...

I know, I know...you all want links...but take this into consideration....

All the teams that made the playoffs had average to above average Offensive Lines.

Buffalo was way below average due to all the injuries sustained.

If your QB is getting hit on a 5 step drop consistently before he hits step 5. How do you expect him to be effective?

If he is constantly being harrassed, he will constantly dump it off.

I highly doubt TE, RF, and BB all have a similar checkdown attitude. But if you keep getting rear ended, you are going to alter your approach.

So, in my personal opinion, Buffalo will NOT draft a QB in the top 5 rounds of the draft. They will, however, take 1 OT in the first round, a DT in the 2nd round, and then stock up on backup players for OT and LBs during the next 3 rounds.

oh yeah...i know i dont have many 'posts', but i tend to read these and not reply the 1 liners like most.

I hope you are right. I'd rather see what our QB's, particularly Brohm, really have. Perhpas bring in Buldger or another vet to compete.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Denver had a probowl LT, did they make the playoffs? The teams with top QB's made the playoffs, the two best went to the superbowl.

Sam Bradford is not Payton Manning and he might not be Drew Brees, who incidentally didn't take the team that drafted him to the Super Bowl.

I was just listening to the Herd and Cowherd brought up a pretty good point. Worst qb in every division, their team finished last.

AFC East - Bills - trent, fitz

AFC North - Browns - anderson, quinn

AFC South- Jaguars - garrard

AFC West- Cheifs (might be an exception with the raiders, but cassell wasn't anything to brag about)

NFC East - Skins - Williams

North - Lions - Stafford (it only gets better with him though)

South - Bucs - To many crappy qbs to name

West - Rams - Bulger, Boller, Null

We need a QB

I was just listening to the Herd and Cowherd brought up a pretty good point. Worst qb in every division, their team finished last.

AFC East - Bills - trent, fitz

AFC North - Browns - anderson, quinn

AFC South- Jaguars - garrard

AFC West- Cheifs (might be an exception with the raiders, but cassell wasn't anything to brag about)

NFC East - Skins - Williams

North - Lions - Stafford (it only gets better with him though)

South - Bucs - To many crappy qbs to name

West - Rams - Bulger, Boller, Null

We need a QB

I agree with Cowherd. I think we'll grab one of the top 2 QBs. Think about what happened while Buddy was in San Diego. When they knew they needed a QB, they addressed it immediately in the draft. I believe he'll apply the same logic in this draft.

I'm good with Fitzpatrick starting on day one if Bradford/Clausen is on the roster.

Trading down is a possibility; and should be very strongly considered if there's no one we like at #9. My preferences for that pick are as follows:

1) Get a franchise QB

2) Get a franchise LT

3) Get a franchise RDE

4) Trade down

5) Get a franchise NT

. . .

50) Draft a RB or a DB.

I read the Clayton article. He points out that teams at the top of the draft tend to take players at key positions (QB, LT, DE) even when there are better players at other positions. He opines that Taylor Mays is one of the three best players in the draft, but is unlikely to be taken in the top 3, because no one wants to pay top dollar for a strong safety. He also points out that some positions--most notably quarterback--have a far more influential impact on the outcomes of games than do others; thereby causing QBs to be taken earlier in the draft. He cites several defensive tackles who had good careers, but whose teams did little, to make that latter point. All of this would tend to underscore Marv's foolishness in reaching for a strong safety at 8th overall.

To address your other point--about the order in which one should acquire one's QB and OL--I think the Bills should do the following. 1) Take a franchise QB at 9th overall, if there's one available. 2) Take an OT in the second round. 3) Have that rookie QB be the #3 QB his whole rookie year, just like Carson Palmer was in Cincy. 4) Have that 2nd round OT start at LT, and have Meredith start at RT. 5) Have Brian Brohm be the starting QB for the 2010 season. 6) Take a LT in the first round of the 2011 draft, have him start from day 1, and move the 2nd round OT from 2010 to RT. 7) Have the franchise QB chosen in 2010 become the starter.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion and you seem to think that getting a serious NT isn't that important. The fact that you choose a new RDE over a NT blows my mind. Whatever offense the Bills staff puts together will likely sit on the bench, because our defense will have trouble getting off the field.

Its been said so many times - what good is a great QB if you can't protect him? Your grand plan of drafting a pretty good OT, starting him on the left, moving him to the right the next year/drafting a franchise QB, let him watch and learn, then start the next year/drafting a franchise LT, have him start... is all well and good, but sooo much can go wrong and then what? You still haven't addressed the interior of the DL.

I still think we build the foundation with a starting LT and and hopefully a NT, maybe draft a QB in the later rounds (like John Skelton or Tebow), and then re-evaluate after the 2010 season. See what happens with your existing roster, how the CBA plays out and what the 2011 draft looks like.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion and you seem to think that getting a serious NT isn't that important. The fact that you choose a new RDE over a NT blows my mind. Whatever offense the Bills staff puts together will likely sit on the bench, because our defense will have trouble getting off the field.

Its been said so many times - what good is a great QB if you can't protect him? Your grand plan of drafting a pretty good OT, starting him on the left, moving him to the right the next year/drafting a franchise QB, let him watch and learn, then start the next year/drafting a franchise LT, have him start... is all well and good, but sooo much can go wrong and then what? You still haven't addressed the interior of the DL.

I still think we build the foundation with a starting LT and and hopefully a NT, maybe draft a QB in the later rounds (like John Skelton or Tebow), and then re-evaluate after the 2010 season. See what happens with your existing roster, how the CBA plays out and what the 2011 draft looks like.

With a 3-4 defense you typically need very good players at four positions: NT, RDE, rushing OLB, and CB. Hopefully Maybin turns out to be that rushing OLB (though I have serious doubts on that score). The Bills' secondary is set--no need to draft anyone there for the next few years. Which leaves RDE and NT.

This team is too full of holes at this point--on both sides of the ball--to adequately address them all in one off-season. I tend to feel that very good RDEs are rarer, and are taken earlier in the draft, than good NTs. So even though a good NT is critical to the success of the 3-4, it's a position that can probably be filled at #15 or #20 overall either in this or in some future draft. If there's a NT somewhere around there the Bills covet, they could always trade back into the first using their 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Realistically, this is a three year rebuilding plan. If the defense lacks a critical piece that it needs--such as NT--until year 3 of that plan, it will just help us in the draft. In the meantime--and earlier in the rebuilding process--the Bills can focus on positions that typically take a little longer to develop, such as QB, as well as offensive linemen to protect said QB. (No sense in getting your guy killed!)

As far as potential things that can go wrong with my earlier-described plan, I agree. But of what plan is that not the case? If you don't grab a QB now when one is available, you risk not getting one for years; and consequently being mired in mediocrity. The Bills haven't had a quarterback since Kelly hung up his cleats. (With the exception of Flutie's good season and Bledsoe's stellar half season.) The current Bills team has holes at key positions like QB, LT, RT, RDE, NT, WR, rushing OLB, and probably one or two others. Of the four hardest-to-fill positions--QB, LT, RDE, and CB--the Bills have gaping holes at three. Any rebuilding process is going to take time to get things right, and will leave large holes over the short-term. That's acceptable--the price of doing business in fact--as long as there's a viable plan to have very solid answers in place by the end of year 3.