Bills interview McCoy, Gerald

23 reps is quite poor for an athlete of that size. Upper body strength is quite important for a DT. His lack of time in the weight room is a red flag. It says McCoy may be one of those guys that get by on talent alone. Work ethic is important, especially if you're spending top-3 money on him. You want a guy who'll work hard, not a guy you'll have to harass to get in the weight room.

Yeah lack of time in the weight room... again did this apperant lack of weight room strength keep him from being a stud ON THE FIELD?

Jesus folks.... :thumbsup:

Did you spend too much time institutionalized? Is that why you are doing the whole last name first shtick? I was trying to figure out who the !@#$ Gerald was.....my own idiocy got in the way.

As for the Avatar--I didn't realize you were such a big Aretha Franklin fan...

Figured if I left it as Bills interview McCoy folks would think Colt, not Gerald, hence McCoy, Gerald.

I am fighting for dibs right to post the avatar of his choice, a right he has had stripped, much like his avatars were often stripped.

God, I'd love to see McCoy here. But he'll be long gone by #9. I like that we interviewed him just in case.

I would rather have Suh fall to us, wouldn't you?

Then Cody slips to us in the 2nd or even the 3rd?

Defensive Line = Suh - Williams/Cody - Stroud :thumbsup:

*Trade Lynch and next year's 4th for Merriman. (Merriman - Poz - Kawika - Maybin) :bag:

** Secondary = McGee - McKelvin - Byrd - Whitner

THAT is a bad ass defense right there! :thumbsup:

Then Mayock is finally becoming an assclown like Kiper. McCoy was #1 coming into this season and is still #1 on most draft boards. Who gives a rats ass what he benched? I mean seriously. It is the most worthless test in the world esp for football strength.

I guess someone forgot to tell all those Olinemen who's asses he whipped in College that he doesn't have a good bench :bag::thumbsup:

I saw that segment today and Mayock most certainly DID NOT rip him apart. He noted the discrepancy, commented that McCoy apparently hasn't been hitting the weight room, and still rates him #1 overall, ahead of Suh simply because he believes McCoy is a tiny bit better in the passing game.

Yeah lack of time in the weight room... again did this apperant lack of weight room strength keep him from being a stud ON THE FIELD?

Jesus folks.... :thumbsup:

I don't think anyone is saying he will be steamrolled all of a sudden. The concerns are that in the NFL everyone has natural strength and talent. You typically have to be better then the other guy 6 days a week to be better on Sunday as well. Also, I look at that and wonder even if he is gifted enough to play well without the dedication to the craft, how much more could he be with dedication. Ultimately bench press, wondelic and most combine related tests are not hardline pass or fail tests. They indicate strengths and weaknesses, and raise or help erase concerns. A great player that doesn't prepare will likely not be great for long, a poor score does not mean a player was unprepared though... Truly an art, not a science at this point.

Then Mayock is finally becoming an assclown like Kiper. McCoy was #1 coming into this season and is still #1 on most draft boards. Who gives a rats ass what he benched? I mean seriously. It is the most worthless test in the world esp for football strength.

I guess someone forgot to tell all those Olinemen who's asses he whipped in College that he doesn't have a good bench :bag::thumbsup:

Didn't Leif Larson hold the record for lifts for quite a while? The performances on the field demonstrate that McCoy and Suh are 1A and 1B DTs in whichever order you want. The most idiotic comment anyone can make about the combine is that a player is roaring up or down the draft board. It is that type of stupid thinking that got us to draft LB Eric Flowers and S Donte Whitner.

It is amusing to hear people talk about the OT out of Maryland, Campbell, being an athletic freak. What does that mean? Does that extraordinary athleticism necessarily mean that he can block and pass protect? Does it say anything about his durability? Bulago is not half the athlete that Campbell is yet he is more highly rated and touted.

When Nix makes the comment that it is rare that he will alter his mostly established draft board then I am more assured that he knows what he is doing. One of the reasons that lunatic Al Davis constantly misses on his draft selections is that he is too enamored with a player's measurables at the expense of not giving enough consideration to how a player plays.

One player who I like a lot as a LB and who will not impress you with his athleticism and measurables is Pat Angeler from Iowa. He is going to be a solid pro and prove to be a terrific value pick in the draft. Whenever you watch him play he is always on the ball. His football instincts more than compensate for his less than exceptional athletic skills. To put it very simply: He is a good football player.

Seriously? When was the last time the game is played on your back and your job is to push weight off of you for reps? My God some of you really need to learn about the game of football. I would be more interested in what he can clean and jerk and front squat than how much he can bench.

Hey toolbox, I've forgotten more about football than you will ever know. The majority of what you spew here is absolute garbage. You honestly believe that the 225 rep test has nothing to do with strength and endurance. You are an OU homer and make the rest of Sooner Nation look retarded.

I would rather have Suh fall to us, wouldn't you?

Then Cody slips to us in the 2nd or even the 3rd?

Defensive Line = Suh - Williams/Cody - Stroud :thumbsup:

*Trade Lynch and next year's 4th for Merriman. (Merriman - Poz - Kawika - Maybin) :bag:

** Secondary = McGee - McKelvin - Byrd - Whitner

THAT is a bad ass defense right there! :thumbsup:

Suh and McCoy are about equal, IMHO. But as I look at it again with my excitement curbed, no way we take McCoy, as good as he is, even if he falls. He would be a 3 - 4 DE in our defense, and while he would certainly play, we likely already have that position fairly well locked-up, with Stroud and probably Kyle Williams playing them, and maybe Williams slipping inside to DT on passing downs.

McCoy isn't big enough to be a 3 - 4 nose tackle, and that's what we need. With such urgent holes at LT, QB, and NT, not to mention OLB, I can't see us taking a luxury pick in the first.

I agree that weight room performance is negligible to draft status. But, McCoy is not # 1 on most draft boards. He hasn't been for awhile.

On the prospects of him falling to 9, I highly doubt that will happen, but it would be a great day if it did. As of now, I bet the Bills are hoping Bulaga slides to them.

Bulaga doesn't have to slide. It's mostly in Buffalo that he's being valued so highly, and a lot of that is because he's likely to be there when we pick. He's most likely the 4th best LT in the draft, but his game fits our particular style, not a great pass protector but a very strong run blocker. Most teams concentrate on the pass protection for LT.

Seriously? When was the last time the game is played on your back and your job is to push weight off of you for reps? My God some of you really need to learn about the game of football. I would be more interested in what he can clean and jerk and front squat than how much he can bench.

Let me explain this for you. Imagine a guy on the bench. No imagine picking him up, getting his knees in a lineman's bend and rotating him so he's standing straight up. Now the motion of extending his arms to lift the weight is exactly the same move he has to make to distance DTs who get inside him, and has a huge bearing on simply pushing them.

The bench is extremely task-relevant to OLs. Extremely so. Having said that, lifting iron is different, you don't get muscle isolation in the NFL in the trenches, but that exact motion is a very legit gauge of strength for OLs, though not for QBs, WRs, etc. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be in the combine workouts.

Just every coach, GM and scout in the NFL. 22 reps means they're now going to go back and evaluate all of his game film to see if there's an issue with his upper body strength.

I don't think it takes away from his body of work but it is a legitimate thing for people to look at .

Exactly, it doesn't cancel the game film, but it's a concern, and if it wasn't, it wouldn't be one of the ombine workouts.

Didn't Leif Larson hold the record for lifts for quite a while?

Yes, and strength was the great part of Leif's game, but he just didn't have the flexibility, speed or experience to make it in the NFL. But the Bills knew they were just taking a flier on the guy, he was a 7th rounder who they hoped would develop.

The bench let everyone know that at least Larsen's strength would not be a problem, and that was correct.

It is amusing to hear people talk about the OT out of Maryland, Campbell, being an athletic freak. What does that mean? Does that extraordinary athleticism necessarily mean that he can block and pass protect? Does it say anything about his durability? Bulago is not half the athlete that Campbell is yet he is more highly rated and touted.

Yet more of the wacky anti-athletic bias that has come to be a fixture at the combine. Campbell was rated the second or third-best LT all year, and that's what the tape shows. Yeah, he's athletic, which gives him an even higher upside, but the tape shows that he was a terrific LT, better than Bulaga, who was generally considered the fourth or fifth-best LT throughout the season.

Bulaga has had a storm of great publicity here in Buffalo because he will likely fall to us, unlike Campbell, and because he's a "lunchpail guy" and because many suspect the Bills really want a strong run blocker at LT and will settle for a reasonable pass blocker. And that's Bulaga's game.

Most teams, though, are more concerned with keeping their QB healthy and upright, so Bulaga is generally ranked fourth to fifth with Campbell ahead of that. And that's not a new thing based on combine grades, it's been true since the season.

It's just an example, but look at walterfootball.com which has not been updated since 2/23. They have Campbell to the Raiders at #8, Davis to the Bills and Bulaga to the Seahawks at #14. and that's fairly typical.

9 + MCKELVIN = ??

9 + WHITNER = ??

9 + LYNCH =??

DO ANY ADD UP TO 2 OVERALL?... MAYBE ,,YES OR NO ?

DETROIT WANTS OUT OF 2

I like the idea of using existing players to trade up. With Byrd and Wilson the starting safeties, it makes sense to include Whitner in any trade (if possible). I feel a little more ambivalent about trading away McKelvin--he's too young to have proved much, and I suspect his trade value will increase over the coming year or two.

To be honest, I could be talked into a trade of 9th overall + Whitner + Lynch for the 2nd overall pick. But my intention there would be to draft Clausen (if the Bills think he's a franchise QB), and not to draft McCoy. Alternatively, the Bills might be able to trade up to fifth overall or something by using just one of those players. (Preferably Whitner.)

Just every coach, GM and scout in the NFL. 22 reps means they're now going to go back and evaluate all of his game film to see if there's an issue with his upper body strength.

I don't think it takes away from his body of work but it is a legitimate thing for people to look at .

Buddy Nix has said all that really matters to him is college film. The combine numbers are not something he cares too much about. You can see how a guy uses his strength on film. Leif Larsen has the record for lifts and he sucked. It's more important to see how a guy can use his strength. JMO

link

Didn't see this posted...if a duplicate please delete.

Gerald McCoy is a 3 technique player. I believe the Bills interest is a smoke screen.

Yet more of the wacky anti-athletic bias that has come to be a fixture at the combine. Campbell was rated the second or third-best LT all year, and that's what the tape shows. Yeah, he's athletic, which gives him an even higher upside, but the tape shows that he was a terrific LT, better than Bulaga, who was generally considered the fourth or fifth-best LT throughout the season.

Bulaga has had a storm of great publicity here in Buffalo because he will likely fall to us, unlike Campbell, and because he's a "lunchpail guy" and because many suspect the Bills really want a strong run blocker at LT and will settle for a reasonable pass blocker. And that's Bulaga's game.

Most teams, though, are more concerned with keeping their QB healthy and upright, so Bulaga is generally ranked fourth to fifth with Campbell ahead of that. And that's not a new thing based on combine grades, it's been true since the season.

It's just an example, but look at walterfootball.com which has not been updated since 2/23. They have Campbell to the Raiders at #8, Davis to the Bills and Bulaga to the Seahawks at #14. and that's fairly typical.

This past season for Maryland Campbell had turf toe and knee issues which limited his playing time. In his career he has only played 17 games. There are questions about his durability. No one disputes his athletic ability. He is without a doubt the most athletic tackle in the draft. That is what makes him so appealing to the Raiders.

Most scouting reports on Campbell draw similar conclusions about him. They state that he is a high risk/gain type of player. Most scouting reports on Bulaga make the point that he is a very fundamentally sound player on the line. My preference would be to go for Bulago while there are others who would prefer the potential of the more athletic Campbell.

Nix has made it clear that he is going to favor players who have demonstrated productivity on the field over athletic talents which have not transferred that physical ability to performance.