Best Browsers

grammer_police

This this this this this.

I don't know how OP could put IE at 2.

IE is second best because of the arrow next to the address bar where you can see the last urls that were typed in. I don't know why Chrome, Opera, or Safari don't have this.

Anyone every messed with Lynx?

Is anybody having trouble with firefox in the last month.......It crashes on me all the time, and the search for words on a page doesn't work now for me.

Yes! Thank You! our entire office started having problems lately and we've all slowly switched to Chrome or Safari. FF has been acting all sorts of wonky lately.

Is anybody having trouble with firefox in the last month.......It crashes on me all the time, and the search for words on a page doesn't work now for me.

Yes. One of the recent patches for security made it a bit less stable and took away some key plugins like flash block so I just reloaded it from previous version and it is stable again.

General rule: Most secure system == not used system

I do a lot of proactive stuff with Firefox clearing plugins no longer needed, turning off plugins I have no interest in, messing with configuration file and almost never have problem unless server is running Microsoft.

IE is second best because of the arrow next to the address bar where you can see the last urls that were typed in. I don't know why Chrome, Opera, or Safari don't have this.

Anyone every messed with Lynx?

I have used text only browsers but not Lynx. I'll give it a try.

I also like SeaMonkey for some tasks especially since it has edit capabilies built in.

On my Debian Linux box I use IceWeasel which is a modified Firefox brower.

FF is a clear #1 for me. But I'm using V 3.5.8. Until my favorite plugins/addons are compatible, I won't upgrade to V 3.6. (For those having crashing issues, what version do you use?)

Opera is good, but for some reason I rarely use it.

Chrome is terrific when it comes to speed, but still has a long way to go to be my main browser. The availability of a WOT plugin has helped it though, IMO.

IE 8 is a real improvement IF...let me repeat that...IF it works on your computer. For me, it has been almost flawless. But I have seen it be nearly unusable on too many machines. Still, it is a far cry from FF.

I'd put Safari dead last, but I haven't used it (for any significant time) in a while.

Yes. One of the recent patches for security made it a bit less stable and took away some key plugins like flash block so I just reloaded it from previous version and it is stable again.

General rule: Most secure system == not used system

I do a lot of proactive stuff with Firefox clearing plugins no longer needed, turning off plugins I have no interest in, messing with configuration file and almost never have problem unless server is running Microsoft.

I have used text only browsers but not Lynx. I'll give it a try.

I also like SeaMonkey for some tasks especially since it has edit capabilies built in.

On my Debian Linux box I use IceWeasel which is a modified Firefox brower.

My firefox just crashed again when I was in the middle of a bunch of work......I do think it has something to do with flash, because I know two tabs were both opening up windows with flash......I'm not as computer savvy as some of you are - I have no idea what plug-ins it has, etc. I do know that it is 3.5.8.

What do you mean by taking away key plugsins like flash block? I don't even know what flash block is, but I suspect my/our problems have something to do with that. (and, like somebody mentioned above, I've been using way more chrome lately with these problems happening)

My firefox just crashed again when I was in the middle of a bunch of work......I do think it has something to do with flash, because I know two tabs were both opening up windows with flash......I'm not as computer savvy as some of you are - I have no idea what plug-ins it has, etc. I do know that it is 3.5.8.

What do you mean by taking away key plugsins like flash block? I don't even know what flash block is, but I suspect my/our problems have something to do with that. (and, like somebody mentioned above, I've been using way more chrome lately with these problems happening)

Some of the plug ins are not compatible with latest Firefox 'upgraded'

software so when it upgrades it deactivates your plug in being incompatible.

Flash block is a plug in to Firefox which turns off flash replacing it with an

arrow in a circle so you can choose if you wish to use see it. Very useful

for sites which use a lot of flash ads.

Sometimes when a plug is no longer installed the directory there still is

a registry entry which causes the browser to crash. You could try

using one of the free tweak now tools for windows to clean or fix registry.

http://www.tweaknow.com/

While FF addons are updated automatically, plugins are not. Check out this page and see if you need to update something (you will need to allow javascript on this page):

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/

If you still crash, start disabling your addons and plugins to see if one of those is at fault.

My FF (3.6) is periodically redirecting me to schlocky websites that tell me "Congratulations, you've been selected to take part in a survey...blah blah blah." I've run a couple of malware apps and one told me it found "google.panet.org (panet.org)" which seems to be a problem. Of course, all these malware apps want $$ to get rid of it.

Any recommendations? Uninstall/reinstall Firefox? Use Chrome? Something else?

My FF (3.6) is periodically redirecting me to schlocky websites that tell me "Congratulations, you've been selected to take part in a survey...blah blah blah." I've run a couple of malware apps and one told me it found "google.panet.org (panet.org)" which seems to be a problem. Of course, all these malware apps want $ to get rid of it.

Any recommendations? Uninstall/reinstall Firefox? Use Chrome? Something else?

Run Malwarebytes AntiMalware first. It is free. (It will say 30 day free trial, but it will continue to work as a manual scanner/manual update after that period.) Then run SuperAntiSpyware, the free version is fine. Remove whatever these two programs find.

Install WOT on all of your browsers.

http://www.mywot.com/

While nothing can keep you completely safe, WOT would likely have stopped you before you visited a bad website where it looks like you picked up a minor cootie.

Finally, run HijackThis and check your results by uploading a log of the results to this page:

http://www.hijackthis.de/

Fix whatever the log analyzer suggests is nasty/bad/etc. But be very careful with this. If you have any doubts, don't bother with the HijackThis part, or have someone who knows the program do it for you.